Post-Game Talk: Jets do enough to lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You have to wonder what is said in the locker room during the first intermission... year after year

Does Wheeler just not know how to motivate? This is two coaches now - actually three - that can't get this 'core' (even though the core is almost gone) to show up for the second period...

It's almost like our coaches don't expect other teams to adjust and as a result continue with the same game plan.

Reactions: bennylundholm

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Our 2nd unit is a lot better than our first. It may not show because they get so few minutes and those often start in our own end. But they generate more real chances per minute, IMO.

It's likely because the second unit doesn't really have a set game plan and are therefore more creative and take what is given.

Whereas it is clear as day what the first unit is trying to do. They are trying to open seam passes to Conner and everyone knows it. Instead of adapting and taking what's given they keep trying to force one or two plays.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was 18-0 if you go back to the end of the 1st period.

I go back into the 1st period. Shots were 11-6 for Jets. Went to 11-29 before Jets got shot #12, by my observation. Not certain of the exact series of events, but I believe the start of Bruins run coincided with Wheeler's penalty. If not exactly, then very close.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He should be on the first flight out of here after the year. This teams defense has been crap for 3 years now and the defensive coach still has a job somehow.

It was mostly crap before 3 years ago too, except bailed out by Buff. Pretty sure we were calling for a Huddy firing 5 & 6 years ago too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And that's how the season dies.... shooting the puck over the glass.

I don't even want to discuss WTF Lowry was doing when it comes to pulling the goalie...

Difference between the Jets and the Bruins... Everyone on the Bruins shows up every night to play.

f***... If Chef even played with half the effort Marchand plays with. Yeah, Marchand is an idiot, but you can't question the man's desire and effort.

I hate that Marchand is as good as he is because he is worse than an idiot. He is a malicious idiot - Dbag. But he is very good too. :thumbd:
:mad:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I go back into the 1st period. Shots were 11-6 for Jets. Went to 11-29 before Jets got shot #12, by my observation. Not certain of the exact series of events, but I believe the start of Bruins run coincided with Wheeler's penalty. If not exactly, then very close.

I used the official NHL play by play tracker to get 18. The Bruins had like the last 4 shots of the 1st and the 1st 14 of the 2nd. The Jets had 1 shot after the Wheeler penalty, with 3:48 to go in the 1st, then their next shot was with 7:24 when Wheeler had that mini-breakaway from just inside the blue line.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Pretty sure Ves and Harkins didn't play after the 1st period, and Toninato only played PK.

Well that makes all the sense in the world. Let’s just run three lines all night as that’s clearly going to work. That line okayed 2 shifts in the 2nd and that was it. One shift when Marchand scored and the other shift was when Haula took that GI penalty. Honestly, what is the point in benching your 4th line like that? It’s not like the other lines weren’t giving up shots that period and failing to generate chances. Something about that just stinks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Teams do what ever they want in our zone.
Setting up behind our players? Yup. They also set up in front of our players, along side, or whatever - we can't stop them.
How many board battles do we win in our zone? Why do teams cycle endlessly and effortlessly in our zone? Why do they set up shop any where they want?
It's because we can't shut down nothing - we are run over.

Our guys are trying to clear the front and defend - they just can't match up.
Teams go right through them -

But it isn't about size.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well we have a tonne of cash tied up in this group so it is likely staying the same. We aren't getting the big number 1 dmen you want anytime soon so we need a new coach to come in and derive something to make this group functional.

We need to unload a lot of that cash commitment to this group. And Huddy.

Reactions: hockeyarena

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I didn't say anything about getting a big #1 dman -
What I am saying is we have too much money tied up in defensemen that are not good defensemen.
There's no easy fix - more reason to waive goodbye to Chevy - he's the one that paid Pionk almost 6M and added Smitty at a similar number.
You'll never move Smitty and we could find ourselves in the same boat with Pionk unless he decides to pretend it's another contract year.
These are GM mistakes - both these guys cannot defend

Pionk certainly CAN defend. He hasn't this year, paired with Dillon - and yet he is still paired with Dillon. Go figure.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Benched for Kulikov who came into the elimination game against Vegas without playing for 2 months. And then Enstrom left the team that offseason on (reportedly) bad terms.

Thanks Maurice.

Yeah, sure - but Enstrom had not been good that season. Pretty much aged out.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Its why I want to see what a new coach can do with the group before I blow it up.
Totally agree.
This season is lost ... the only exciting part for the rest of the season will be if Connor gets 50.
Sell your UFAs and bring in a coach who actually has won something.
Also NO more small defensemen ... get someone who will punish opposing players standing in front of the net like Buff. I'm so sick of the Jets defencemen watching the puck instead of taking out the man ... every ficken game. The Jets D would make any top goalie have bad stats.

Reactions: GNP and Guardian17

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You have to wonder what is said in the locker room during the first intermission... year after year

Does Wheeler just not know how to motivate? This is two coaches now - actually three - that can't get this 'core' (even though the core is almost gone) to show up for the second period...
That's the coaches job not Wheeler.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Schief missed 6 games that does not explain a 19 pt spread. My bad a 20 pt spread.
schief 56 games 53 pts.
kfc. 62 games. 73 points.

with missing 6 games you’d think it would at least be 10 or less.

I know it isn't what you mean, but it almost sounds like you are complaining that KFC is scoring too much.
Scheifele is scoring at .96 ppg. His career avg is .88 ppg. What do you want?
PLD is similarly above his career avg and so is Wheeler.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah, sure - but Enstrom had not been good that season. Pretty much aged out.

And yet he had the Jets best defensive season by xGA according to the post I quoted :dunno:

His offense dried up because he was playing 4 minutes less a game and basically no PP time. It was almost entirely usage related.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stan is in there because of his size - and they are going to give him more time before they throw in the towel - because we need more size on the blue line.
Ville has proven nothing at the NHL level - in fact, he's looked over whelmed at times and totally out of his element with the bigger, faster competition he has to deal with at this level.

We excuse that short coming because he does so well with lesser competition - Petan and Niku were also expected to be stars based on their pre-NHL success.

And for the last time, I am not suggesting we ice a blue line of poor big dmen - you're discussing extremes (all big and bad vs all highly skilled and small) to make a point and it's over the top hyperbole. We have neither and I'm not suggesting we would.

We have one who is the youngest dman on the team and is being allowed more time because the org would like to have some size back there.
It's not like we have a star studded dcore that Stan is f**king up - and it's not like Ville is going to add anything at this point other than less defense than we are currently dealing with.

No we don't need more size on the blueline. The guys we have with size are ineffective. We need more effective players, with or without size. Cassidy's comments have already been shown here to be nonsense. Even without Stan, Jets D corps is larger than his. It is not about size.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Pionk certainly CAN defend. He hasn't this year, paired with Dillon - and yet he is still paired with Dillon. Go figure.
OK he can defend - he just chooses not to (TY) - why do you suppose that is?
Off year? What does that mean? How can a player play 60+ games and still be "off"?
Are we blaming Dillon? So we have another $6M defender who needs to be sheltered?

If he can defend, it's about time he started doing it - no excuses, we need the "contract year" Pionk back or this will go down as a massive overpayment.

It's funny how we had the same supposed garbage D systems LY and yet this guy had no trouble tracking forwards and stopping them in their tracks - but now he can't (or won't) - but it's the same system. Or is it Dillons fault. I'm going with a lack of money motivation over Dillon dragging this guy down.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
As usual, I'm somewhat late in joining the discussion. Just want to throw a few thoughts out concerning this issue of problems with our D , and the issue of player size.

Suggest that the fundamental issue is still systems related - which has led to confusion as to basic responsibilities handling a rush attack, and particularly, confusion in setting-up against a sustained attack below our blueline,( when teams are cycling high/low or low behind our net and in the corners). While our D would absolutely benefit from a change to a more standard zone type defence, the chaos also starts because our forwards fill their responsibilities so poorly - either in simple back pressure checking, or, positionally within our end . In my mind, all of this can be sorted out with a fundamental change in coaching philosophy - but Huddy has to go and as soon as possible.

I suggest that we err in talking about needing bigger D who will "clear the netfront" - this is an archaic approach which worked only in the distant past when the league allowed all kinds of interference , clutch and grab, and physical abuse at netfront by way of cross-checking and stickwork. Our D do not have to necessarily be bigger/meaner, BUT, they do seem to be surprisingly poor at executing basic assignments. If you can't "clear the netfront", you can still "box out the netfront" and most importantly, you can still"tie up the guy's stick" so he can't make a play. You can still be"in the proper position" to avoid creating another level of screen for shots from the point, and you can still be "on the right side of the player/puck" when along the boards. I have to believe that our guys can do much better at all these things IF they can get organized to the point where the pressure/chaos is reduced to a manageable level.

Just my 2 cents.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
No we don't need more size on the blueline. The guys we have with size are ineffective. We need more effective players, with or without size. Cassidy's comments have already been shown here to be nonsense. Even without Stan, Jets D corps is larger than his. It is not about size.
Size and skill - did you miss the part where I stated they are going to give him more time before they throw in the towel?
Stan as a player today, is not good enough - he needs to be better.
Does he have more to offer or has he hit his peak? Not worth debating TBH because the Jets appear to be giving him a little more rope in order to find out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Absolutely not blaming Ehlers but that missed penalty shot was pretty big . Ehlers game is speed, speed and more speed, he should have come down the ice as fast as he could.

Fast would have only got it over faster. Ehlers fails on more breakaways than you can shake a stick at and he does it at speed. His problem is that he never does anything to get the goalie to move, or even lean a little bit. He never goes to his backhand. He doesn't even fake backhand. Though him faking backhand would be a waste because every goalie in the league knows that he will ALWAYS go to his forehand.

But it is not about forehand/backhand. It is about getting the goalie to lean. He never does. He doesn't even appear to try. He just tries to beat them with his shot when they are already fully square to him and aren't leaving any openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad