Post-Game Talk: Jets crowned lose 3-2

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ah, right. Sucks for Perfetti - it would have been great for him to lead a playoff team...

If he's healthy I expect he'll be back at the World Hockey Championship so he'll get some important games in.

As an aside has there been any updates on him lately? The last I recall was Chevy a couple of weeks ago at the deadline.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
This team isn’t that close . There isn’t some magical coach that’s going to come in and change everything these players have been taught for 9 years. The moose have been usuing the same systems as well. This is a very very big culture problem and won’t be fixed for a while. It’s going to take years and years to filter out the lack of accountability. Let’s not forget we have one or two forwards that can actually play defence.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Some of you guys are talking out your asses lol
You don’t trade Ehlers.
I think we just need to ship 26 and 55 in a package and we are better.
That and an entirely new coaching staff that is.
It’s a culture change that’s needed. Not so much a roster problem. But in order for that change to happen, those two have to go
There are not many teams who have 14.5 million in cap space that would want those two.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't blame anyone for needing to process/vent. It was a rough loss that, for the optimistic, was the final nail in the coffin. All that's left is mathematical elimination, covering up the 21-22 season with dirt.

I just hope our management takes the opportunity to already start preparing for next year - let's start playing our prospects more that till stick around, and how 'bout some vets who are clearly not putting in 100% get a nice healthy scratch breather for a couple of games (I'm guessing that won't happen until the math is complete - though it should have happened earlier when we still had a chance to turn this around).

And the minute our season is done, we should be able to send our young'uns down to the Moose for a nice long playoff run, right? (or are there rules around that?)
I think the only guys eligible to go down to the Moose on the roster currently will be Heinola and Barron. I don’t believe they demoted Perfetti to make him eligible. Guys had to be on the AHL roster as of 3 PM trade deadline day.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
BLOW IT UP.

This team is BAD. Massively underperforming.

KEEP AND BUILD AROUND
Dubois, Connor

Everyone else should be available.

I think you go a little too far. :laugh:
If all I keep is Dubois Conner, then I don't bother keeping them either. :laugh:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
STICK A FORK IN THIS ORGANIZATION without major alterations..

1648998432259.gif

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Any player on this team can be traded but that's not what they need. The coaching staff on this team is a massive fail and has been for a while now, a new hc who is an outsider and brings in his own staff and a few tweaks and this team should be back in the playoff discussion next year. As for Ehlers I would rather not as my favorite player on the club but if some team wants to overpay for him, bye bye.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This team isn’t that close . There isn’t some magical coach that’s going to come in and change everything these players have been taught for 9 years. The moose have been usuing the same systems as well. This is a very very big culture problem and won’t be fixed for a while. It’s going to take years and years to filter out the lack of accountability. Let’s not forget we have one or two forwards that can actually play defence.

So if the Jets and the Moose are playing the exact same systems, why are the Moose successful at it and the Jets aren't?

It doesn't take years to change the lack of accountability, all it takes is to the change the people responsible for making the players accountable. Replace the GM and all the coaches, then have the new people send the message on day #1 that everyone is accountable, done. And there are ways to make sure the players get the new message. It doesn't have to be years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So if the Jets and the Moose are playing the exact same systems, why are the Moose successful at it and the Jets aren't?

It doesn't take years to change the lack of accountability, all it takes is to the change the people responsible for making the players accountable. Replace the GM and all the coaches, then have the new people send the message on day #1 that everyone is accountable, done. And there are ways to make sure the players get the new message. It doesn't have to be years.

Exactly, it just takes strong leadership to come in and set new ground rules. We've seen teams after sucking hard suddenly improve and look good with a culture and leadership change.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Columbus thinks about that, they just say no.

Rebuilding around one or two players takes forever. You need a good 4 or 5 as a base to build otherwise you're just spending 5-10 years being a bottom 5 team and hoping your picks work out all at the same time.

Yup. Rebuild around PLD, KFC, Ehlers, JMo.

I can't decide about Helle. He should bring a big return but I don't want to return to the days of having no goalie at all. All things considered, age, contract, etc, he should probably be moved too though. By the time we have a competitive team he will have walked anyway.

Certainly should have moved Stastny at the TD.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
I just think that a new HC needs to have a chance to work with this core sure a piece can be moved but I don's see this org going nuclear and rebuilding at least not next year
The Jets are pretty limited in who they can bring to Winnipeg. Deciding to hold a panic-sale of players would probably result in worse players coming back in exchange. This is a talented team that was within a Scheifele suspension of a good shot at the final four just last season. The defence needs to be tightened up ... there isn't really anything else to it. We see it every night. They are the opposite of "hard to play against".

Reactions: Ggg99

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not a chance I do that trade if I’m the Jets. First off, the Columbus 1st will barely be higher than the Jets pick. Secondly, Sillinger has 22 points and is a -24 on the season. People want to complain about how bad Scheifele is defensively then they’ll be livid with Sillinger. And I know plus/minus isn’t everything, but Ehlers is worth much much more.

:laugh: No way CBJ does that.
Sillinger is 18 ffs.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think that's right. Even though Ehlers is an exciting, highly skilled player, his production puts him as a second line winger.

Scheifele is a ppg 1C with size, in his prime, on a sweetheart deal.

If you offered the two players to any team and they had to pick one, I would be shocked if anyone picked 27.

We love Ehlers here, and I agree that any rebuild needs to include him, but he's the 4th best forward on this team. I think he's actually better than Scheifele in a net, help the team win way, but in terms of value no way.

And I would be shocked if anyone chose 26. :laugh: AINEC

Just the difference in PP time accounts for pretty much all of the production difference.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
And this comes down to scouting philosophy; something that will need to also be evaluated.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Was at the game.

That first period. Yikes.

I don't remember much of the rest tbh. But JFC how many games has it been during this tail end of the year that they do not show up in the first like that?

Reactions: Luc Labelle and rkp

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021

I'm afraid of this.

When you have some issues with players not playing the right away, you have a problem that can be addressed by the right coach. When your coaching staff doesn't address it and allows it to fester (or worse, encourages it), you have a major coaching problem that needs to be addressed by the GM stepping in and making coaching changes. When that doesn't happen for years and years... well suddenly you have a GM problem and I guess it's up to the owner to make bigger changes. And when the owner/org itself takes years to recognize that anything is wrong, well, you might just be hooped.

Unfortunately I really just don't trust this org to get it right. Why would they, when they presided over so many things that have gone wrong since 2018 without taking action?

I'm afraid next season we come out of the gate with Scheif, Wheeler and Chevy's jobs intact, and a somewhat conservative choice for coach, and choose to believe that our troubles were all really just a result of bad luck and circumstance, and 'not having the horses'. Rinse repeat?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Well in that case the same can be said for any player on the team really.
That was my point. The team is more bad than good. A LOT needs to be changed. Moving out Scheifele wont make enough of a difference. Trading the Harkins and Vesalainens wont make much of a difference. Chevy is going to have to shake the team to its' core.

I dont look to trade Ehlers. I would listen to offers. The price would be very high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad