Kings News: Jets Claim Ellerby off Waivers

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Good luck to him, wish we had the room, would've liked to have kept him for a #7, but the youth isn't going to stay down in Manchester forever.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
Good luck to him, I'd like to see what he can do with some more minutes. He definitely still could blossom into a solid D-man...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What are we getting in this guy? I can't escape the feeling that this is only temporary due to injuries to Trouba, Stuart, and Postma. At least he's a lefty. We're pretty weak on the left side, Clitsome is our 2nd line LHD. If Ellerby can out play Stuart and Pardy he could easily be our #6.

Can he play the right side? I never thought I'd be asking that question this season.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Still very young at 24. Best of luck too him, helped out last year when we needed him. Hopefully get the minutes in the peg.

Captain Mittens*

What are we getting in this guy? I can't escape the feeling that this is only temporary due to injuries to Trouba, Stuart, and Postma. At least he's a lefty. We're pretty weak on the left side, Clitsome is our 2nd line LHD. If Ellerby can out play Stuart and Pardy he could easily be our #6.

Can he play the right side? I never thought I'd be asking that question this season.
Ellerby is going to win 5 Norris Trophies this year

Last edited by a moderator:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, that sucks. I think Ellerby has potential and will be an NHL regular in the not too distant future.

No way the Kings will be trading Martinez or Muzzin at this point. There is no way they can know how much longer Mitchell and Regehr can hold up or play well enough to remain in the top 4, especially with Regehr.

The Kings are going to need both Muzzin and Martinez unless Dean makes a deal for another defenseman. Expect to see Muzzin paired with Doughty more and more as the season goes on, if it isn't almost permanent in Sutter's mind already, and that's not a bad thing.

Last edited:

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
Best of luck to him. Seems like a good guy. I'm glad he'll get a chance to play some in Winnipeg. Just no room for him here.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Best of luck to him. Seems like a good guy. I'm glad he'll get a chance to play some in Winnipeg. Just no room for him here.

Likely not for long. The Jets is hugely banged up right now (Stuart, Postma, Trouba, Redmond all hurt) and Jets have little to no depth on the farm after that (Melchiori and Chiarot are currently with the Jets, both might not make Manchester in reality). Once healthy, Ellerby is looking like a #7 at best, more likely #9/10 on Jets (Enstrom-Byfuglien, Clitsome-Bogosian, Stuart-Trouba, Postma-Redmond-Ellerby-Pardy). Don't be surprised if he is back on waivers before the season is over.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Likely not for long. The Jets is hugely banged up right now (Stuart, Postma, Trouba, Redmond all hurt) and Jets have little to no depth on the farm after that (Melchiori and Chiarot are currently with the Jets, both might not make Manchester in reality). Once healthy, Ellerby is looking like a #7 at best, more likely #9/10 on Jets (Enstrom-Byfuglien, Clitsome-Bogosian, Stuart-Trouba, Postma-Redmond-Ellerby-Pardy). Don't be surprised if he is back on waivers before the season is over.

Just to correct you holden, Redmond is back with the Icecaps as of yesterday. He potted a goal and an assist. Nowhere near game shape obviously, as he's only played a handful of games since the incident.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Good luck. Decent player but needs to work on his breakout of the zone and staying a bit more at home. I felt he was sometimes a half a step behind speedier teams but servicable. He needs some work, but who doesn't...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Sucks we lost him for nothing...joining lots of recent Kings waivers in the NHL :P

Good for Keaton, deserves a shot to play. I'm glad this thread isn't slagging his play. He's a serviceable bottom pairing d-man with some upside potential there. Great attitude, shows up. Nothing bad to say about the dude. Can't believe he got past the Oilers though :laugh:

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
Can't believe he got past the Oilers though :laugh:

I honestly thought the same, but then when I looked at their D chart..

Smid - Petry
Ference - N. Schultz
J. Schultz - Belov

I don't think he honestly challenges any of them for a spot. Would end up being in the PB.

KingKopitar11*

Maybe one day people will stop claiming all of our waived players.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I wish we would have seen him in a game before waiving him, I don't think he was as bad last year as Regehr is this year.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
"But Keaton... Keaton was the real prize, for obvious reasons."

Shame he's gone. Did okay with priority minutes. But with a healthy Mitchell, Greene, Regehr, he had no spot.

Jets fans asking: he's a big, mobile stay at home dman who doesn't hit much. Similar style to Bouwmeester, just very far from polished

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
I honestly thought the same, but then when I looked at their D chart..

Smid - Petry
Ference - N. Schultz
J. Schultz - Belov

I don't think he honestly challenges any of them for a spot. Would end up being in the PB.

Well, he is defensively better than J. Schultz. That guy should either be a forward or down on the farm learning how to play in the defensive zone. Just brutal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad