Post-Game Talk: Jets Bagel the Hawks 4-0

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not often you see a Jets pairing on lists like this

I had those two pegged as a solid top 4 option prior to the year. Glad to see it come to fruition. Dillon struggled with pionk + Stanley last year, and Schmidt struggled with Stanley. But away from both they performed fine. They've had great seasons prior to being paired with those two, I don't think they're bad dmen, I just don't think either pionk or Stanley were great fits.

On the other end our top pair is at the bottom of the league IIRC. although they performed well last game, notably Morrissey.

I would like to see Schmidt used bit more as a puck carrier. That was was one of his strengths in Vegas and Washington, but I don't think we've been doing that as much here.

Reactions: Jack7222 and tbcwpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
"He's 25 so he is pretty much what he will be", also calls 25 year old Kovacevic a rookie who's not a finished product.

:laugh: You got me.
There is a bit of a difference though. Kovy had just 4 NHL games when we waived him. He is up to 15 now, but this is his rookie year.
Capo had 59 NHL games before yesterday so not a rookie anymore.

I don't expect Kovy to become a much different player at his age either. But the rookie mistakes should become less frequent.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The Jets were 9-3-3 to start the year last year. We know how that ended. What we pegged the Jets for was to be a bubble team that would be unable to compete with the Stanley Cup contenders of the league. They couldn't be any worse than last year, but they would be closer to last year than they would be to the top of the league. I remain unconvinced that coaching was the only thing the Jets needed.

If the Jets continue to win games, and look like they deserve to win the games, then that's good. That means they're adapting, adjusting, and working. I am a major cynic, though. It'll take more than beating an obviously rebuilding Blackhawks team to convert me.
I don't know that new coaching was the only thing the Jets needed -- or got. We also seem to have Vezina-calibre Hellebuyck back and that is a lot more important than a new coaching staff.

I'll grant that it's early days yet and, as you point out, Jets started with a good record last year then imploded. But so far, it "feels" different to me this year. The Jets have had a few they didn't deserve to win, but a few the DID deserve to win (Blues, Habs, Blackhawks) and they seem to be trending in a positive direction. Maybe this is just hopeless optimism and my "feelings" are off. But this is why I am seeing this start different than last year.

And when we get Ehlers back it will be like we traded for a top winger.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The only game I really think Helly stole one for us was the Kings game but why shouldn't he steal a game for us he is one of if not THE BEST goalie in the league. How many games does McDavid steal for the Oilers? A lot I bet.

Yeah, no issue with him stealing some games for us. He is after all our franchise player.

I just hope we keep up the positive momentum with our current form and build.on it so he doesn't need to steal as many games.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yeah, no issue with him stealing some games for us. He is after all our franchise player.

I just hope we keep up the positive momentum with our current form and build.on it so he doesn't need to steal as many games.

The idea of the "full 60 minute game" is kind misleading. There are moments in every game where one team will control the game but the idea is your structure is strong enough to handle those moments so you either don't give up a goal or 2 or 3 and either keep the score the same or close enough to give you a chance to win.

Watch the Oilers play. That teams structure breaks down so much because they "open up" and their players are watching for where McDavid and Drai are that they become easy to play against. We want to play like Dallas, Dallas structure was incredibly strong against the Oilers. The Oilers let Dallas dictate the flow. Campbell was terrible and he has been awful. Dallas goalie did not need to be incredible because the structure they played allowed him to make saves.

IF we stay within that structure and have a goalie like Helly we are going to win more then we lose.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The idea of the "full 60 minute game" is kind misleading. There are moments in every game where one team will control the game but the idea is your structure is strong enough to handle those moments so you either don't give up a goal or 2 or 3 and either keep the score the same or close enough to give you a chance to win.

Watch the Oilers play. That teams structure breaks down so much because they "open up" and their players are watching for where McDavid and Drai are that they become easy to play against. We want to play like Dallas, Dallas structure was incredibly strong against the Oilers. The Oilers let Dallas dictate the flow. Campbell was terrible and he has been awful. Dallas goalie did not need to be incredible because the structure they played allowed him to make saves.

IF we stay within that structure and have a goalie like Helly we are going to win more then we lose.

Yeah I agree with this. Very rarely do teams dominate games start to finish. There is too much parity in this league and there will be moments in games where the opposition has the momentum. The Jets seem to be getting better at managing these points in the game. I expect we continue to see more improvements there.

I don't see the Oilers winning anything with their all out wide open style. How many goalies are they going to make look bad before they realize they need some kind of defensive schemes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad