Jets At The World Hockey Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Demko going for the US. Helle won't be going as he's part of team north america at the more important NHL tournament.

I find it odd that alot of fans (and probably players) think the NHL tournament is more important. To me it's a gimicky tournament designed to raise money for the NHL and give the players a head start on their training camps. OTOH, the world championships have been around for decades and it's a huge tournament in Europe. It decides international rankings. It's really only secondary to the Olympics.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I find it odd that alot of fans (and probably players) think the NHL tournament is more important. To me it's a gimicky tournament designed to raise money for the NHL and give the players a head start on their training camps. OTOH, the world championships have been around for decades and it's a huge tournament in Europe. It decides international rankings. It's really only secondary to the Olympics.

The players don't get paid for the World Championships, and since many of the best players in the world are involved in the NHL playoffs, it's seen as fairly unimportant by most in North America.

But the World Cup is an NHL event and will increase HRR, thereby raising the cap and lowering escrow.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
If Im Helle, I'd rather do World Championship in Europe over playing for a team that has no purpose in a city you've been to numerous times.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

World championships are not best on best though so I have always looked at it as a novelty too similar to the olympics before they allowed best on best.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Demko going for the US. Helle won't be going as he's part of team north america at the more important NHL tournament.

Did you forget the :sarcasm: or did you mean that as written?

Maybe it is just me but the entire configuration of the "World Cup of Hockey" seems to me to be so artificially contrived that it is nothing but a series of NHL Showcase exhibition games. For all its warts I'm much more interested in the World Championship.

I started off disappointed by the announced format and simply disinterested. The more it is hyped the more I am pushed towards outright boycotting it. Just the rebel in me I guess. :laugh: I don't like hype. I don't like being pushed by peer pressure or promotion toward a particular destination.

'Team Europe' and the under 23 team are so contrived. Either it is an international competition or it is an NHL promo. Pick only one. Then do it well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The players don't get paid for the World Championships, and since many of the best players in the world are involved in the NHL playoffs, it's seen as fairly unimportant by most in North America.

But the World Cup is an NHL event and will increase HRR, thereby raising the cap and lowering escrow.

Are you sure of that? I haven't paid close attention but I thought the NHLPA got a share of the money directly and it wouldn't affect HRR, the cap or escrow. Wrong assumption on my part? Or yours?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
World championships are not best on best though so I have always looked at it as a novelty too similar to the olympics before they allowed best on best.

That has long been a huge flaw in the WC. No denying it. But that doesn't reduce it to novelty status. The NHL's World Cup is exactly the opposite. It does feature the best on best but is structured in such a way that it can not be anything but a novelty. It is an ad hoc Bettman creation. Pure 100% unadulterated kludge.

I believe Bettman created it as an alternative to the Olympics to either get a better deal from the IOC or to reduce the pressure on the NHL to participate in the Olys. IMHO of course. I like Olympic hockey and am disinclined to aid Bettman in his attempt to get out of them.

The list of things wrong with the WC is long and pretty obvious. I don't think there is a need to list them. The only hope I have for the World Cup is that some kind of governing body will be created for it and in time it will evolve into something meaningful and worthwhile. I don't think that is likely in the near term.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Did you forget the :sarcasm: or did you mean that as written?

Maybe it is just me but the entire configuration of the "World Cup of Hockey" seems to me to be so artificially contrived that it is nothing but a series of NHL Showcase exhibition games. For all its warts I'm much more interested in the World Championship.

I started off disappointed by the announced format and simply disinterested. The more it is hyped the more I am pushed towards outright boycotting it. Just the rebel in me I guess. :laugh: I don't like hype. I don't like being pushed by peer pressure or promotion toward a particular destination.

'Team Europe' and the under 23 team are so contrived. Either it is an international competition or it is an NHL promo. Pick only one. Then do it well.

I think it will bring intrigue to the tourney, best vs best in world is already done at the Olympics, I think adding those two teams will be interesting. I for one can't wait to see Eichel, McDavid, etc on the same team competing vs the best in the world, it'll be neat to see how they stack up. I will be watching and have much interest, I think the people who may like it the least are the players who play for those two teams as they'd much rather play for their country or not play against their own country. Im open to it.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I just don't see guys who are going to play in the world cup going to play at the world championships. Might be some exceptions like guys who maybe haven't been named to the World Cup rosters yet but guys who have, I would suspect they skip the early tourney in Russia and take some time off and get ready for the world cup instead. I also think it being in Russia might play a role with some guys.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That has long been a huge flaw in the WC. No denying it. But that doesn't reduce it to novelty status. The NHL's World Cup is exactly the opposite. It does feature the best on best but is structured in such a way that it can not be anything but a novelty. It is an ad hoc Bettman creation. Pure 100% unadulterated kludge.

I believe Bettman created it as an alternative to the Olympics to either get a better deal from the IOC or to reduce the pressure on the NHL to participate in the Olys. IMHO of course. I like Olympic hockey and am disinclined to aid Bettman in his attempt to get out of them.

The list of things wrong with the WC is long and pretty obvious. I don't think there is a need to list them. The only hope I have for the World Cup is that some kind of governing body will be created for it and in time it will evolve into something meaningful and worthwhile. I don't think that is likely in the near term.

Conceptually I find the world cup crass and agree with your take it is a IOC **** block. That being said I will reserve judgment on the actual hockey until I watch it even though I may need to plug my nose :laugh:. There is a chance it is going to be really entertaining despite the mini me mastermind pimp overlord behind the curtain operating the leavers.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Olympic hockey was 3rd rate bull**** until the NHL made it relevant by participating. The NHL and the PA feel they shouldn't have to shut down their season and get $0 for their trouble.

Also you're right about the money - it's not part of HRR. But the NHL and NHLPA split the WC revenues 50/50.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think it will bring intrigue to the tourney, best vs best in world is already done at the Olympics, I think adding those two teams will be interesting. I for one can't wait to see Eichel, McDavid, etc on the same team competing vs the best in the world, it'll be neat to see how they stack up. I will be watching and have much interest, I think the people who may like it the least are the players who play for those two teams as they'd much rather play for their country or not play against their own country. Im open to it.

I don't 'mind' that you or anyone else may enjoy it. It just shouldn't be taken seriously. It is just a fun exhibition series to showcase NHL stars. It means nothing. I enjoy preseason exhibition games, watching to see who is pushing for a regular spot on the team etc. But no points are awarded. The result doesn't mean anything. I enjoy the skills competitions at the ASG. They don't mean anything. Just for fun. I certainly wouldn't pay much money to watch this trumped up "World Cup". But have a good time with it, by all means. :)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Conceptually I find the world cup crass and agree with your take it is a IOC **** block. That being said I will reserve judgment on the actual hockey until I watch it even though I may need to plug my nose :laugh:. There is a chance it is going to be really entertaining despite the mini me mastermind pimp overlord behind the curtain operating the leavers.

:laugh::laugh: Agree.

I may enjoy it. But I won't care about it. I may cheer for Jets players more than for Canada for example. Or not cheer for anybody and just watch for entertaining play.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't 'mind' that you or anyone else may enjoy it. It just shouldn't be taken seriously. It is just a fun exhibition series to showcase NHL stars. It means nothing. I enjoy preseason exhibition games, watching to see who is pushing for a regular spot on the team etc. But no points are awarded. The result doesn't mean anything. I enjoy the skills competitions at the ASG. They don't mean anything. Just for fun. I certainly wouldn't pay much money to watch this trumped up "World Cup". But have a good time with it, by all means. :)

Yeah I agree with you. I think it will be real high quality hockey and fun to watch, but I really don't care who wins and it should mean nothing in terms of what country is the best at hockey. Especially considering the U-23 team takes away from Canada + the U.S.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

I wouldn't say it means nothing. It means something to players who wanna be there, and when it's Canada Russia in semi and Canada Us in final you're telling me you won't care? I will care and will be cheering, don't know how you can't. Once best teams are left it's still best vs best, it'll be fun.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't say it means nothing. It means something to players who wanna be there, and when it's Canada Russia in semi and Canada Us in final you're telling me you won't care? I will care and will be cheering, don't know how you can't. Once best teams are left it's still best vs best, it'll be fun.

Well, time will tell. It won't be best v best though because many of Can & US best will be on the ********* under 23 team. Won't be any Russians on that team.

Edit: In the end you are right I probably will get caught up in it. But I hate the contrived format. And I will hate it even more if the Russians win lead by a couple of under 23 players. :shakehead

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, time will tell. It won't be best v best though because many of Can & US best will be on the ********* under 23 team. Won't be any Russians on that team.

Edit: In the end you are right I probably will get caught up in it. But I hate the contrived format. And I will hate it even more if the Russians win lead by a couple of under 23 players. :shakehead

How many under 23 year olds and younger make this squad? Havnt thought of it much, mcdavid plus who else?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many under 23 year olds and younger make this squad? Havnt thought of it much, mcdavid plus who else?

If there aren't that many good enough then why do they get their own team? If it isn't wrong one way then it is wrong another. I'm not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad