got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Can we have a full blown stop on phrases like:

"A lot of NHL coaches here"
"Do you even watch the game?"
"How far in hockey did you make it?"

etc...

It's hilarious when you'll lead off a post with: "a lot of NHL coaches in here" and then spout off your own analysis.

I mean... Maybe this only frustrates me?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

etc...

It's hilarious when you'll lead off a post with: "a lot of NHL coaches in here" and then spout off your own analysis.

Nope. Frustrates me as well.

I guess I'm only allowed to commentate on hockey if I've played the game. Otherwise my opinions and observations are incorrect.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

etc...

Do you even hockey?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You seem lost, but I will guide you back. :)
Why on earth do u want a 4th line player like Grabner on the Hayes line?

Because that line has great chemistry and is producing.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Grabner is no hockey god, he is just being used to best effect.
The critical challenge for hockey coaches is to place players where they can have the most impact.
Grabner is doing similar to what he's always done, but now on a line that right now is really complimenting his skill set.
He had 30+ and 20+ goal seasons for Isles.
He's not a great goal scorer, but he is not Gene Carr either.
And the less crowded ice of the PK has always been an opportunity for his skating

Good post, my god is this entire concept so hard to understand. Breaking up lines because the fanboi in you is mad a player isn't playing where you want him to is not how hockey works. Hayes-Miller-Grabner for whatever reason works, they have great chemistry, they're the best line on the freaking team right now but hey let's break them up. That's patently ridiculous.

Quite frankly last year Staal- Lindberg- Stalberg (I may have this wrong, lol I can't remember exactly) played fantastic together and then were inexplicably broken up never to return. Staal was horsecrap with every other combo. It was stupid last year and breaking up this line would be dumber this year. Breaking up something that works almost too well for the folly of something better is akin to the maxim, you never leave good fishing for the prospect of better fishing.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Hayes & Miller is the main pieces on that line for sure.

you could not possibly be more wrong about discrediting grabner, what his speed adds to the line and the chemistry they have

first 8 games without grabner, hayes had 2-1-3 +2, Miller had 2-4-6 +1...last 5 games with grabner, hayes 4-5-9 +11, miller 3-4-7 +12. they didn't just magically get better for no reason...

its not a video game, it doesn't matter if you think grabner is a 4th liner. if he has chemistry with hayes and miller you leave them together until they stop playing well.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Grabner is no hockey god, he is just being used to best effect.
The critical challenge for hockey coaches is to place players where they can have the most impact.
Grabner is doing similar to what he's always done, but now on a line that right now is really complimenting his skill set.
He had 30+ and 20+ goal seasons for Isles.
He's not a great goal scorer, but he is not Gene Carr either.
And the less crowded ice of the PK has always been an opportunity for his skating
Bingo! It's all about putting players in roles to which they are best-suited. Some players thrive in one system and flop in another. It's not always so cut-and-dried. Grabber seems to fit in really well with Miller and Hayes. Let it roll.
(Also Zuccarello is not really much faster than Nash anyhow.)

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
One thing that I didn't like was how Byfuglien was targeting Buch. We were lucky that he wasn't injured. We have no one capable of challenging him when he's running around like that.

A little welcome to the NHL is fine. It's hockey and the hits looked clean. Buch took the hits like a champ and responded about as well as you can... kept playing his game and scored a ridiculous goal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
a lot of NHL coaches here...:popcorn:

Grabner was always a god player and when u see the short season 2013 (16 Goals in 45 Games) more than 20 in 82 Games, so he has 2x 20+ Goal Seasons and the "dream" season 2011 (34 Goals)..
Olympic tournament as a top Goals Scorer was outstanding and more than he is, thats true ,but s it was...

Now he found his Scoring touch why you wil split that line now? make no sense..:amazed:

It doesn't matter anymore.

It's gotten to the point where we have too many weapons to have an actual "4th line"

anofsti

May 14, 2011
I think Grabner has been very good so far, and even if he doesn't continue to produce at this rate, I think he brings a lot of routine to an otherwise young forward group.

And while I'm partial to favour young guys over veterans in general, but that's mostly because I think skating>routine. It's really nice to have a player who brings both on a very affordable contract.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It doesn't matter anymore.

It's gotten to the point where we have too many weapons to have an actual "4th line"

Exactly. Rolling 4 lines with barely a gew minutes difference betwixt the 1st and 4th lines. Meaning it doesnt much matter where you want to play said player. For crying out loud, you could put Nasher on the 4th line and a TRUE team player wouldn't blink an eyelash, because all it would be is a few minutes less ice time. In fact it may behoove a player that is struggling, as they may be matched up against a lesser defender. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad