Post-Game Talk: Jets are a mess, lose 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah, the question was basically "do you think you guys are bad leaders?". I don't think Wheeler needed the pissing match stuff but Hamilton was looking for stuff for some leadership is bad article. I guess he got it in the end.

It was a fair question, but it’s also tough to answer that honestly at times when in those positions as a leader. Easy answer is yeh we all have to take some responsibility……but is it a sincere answer? Is it cookie cutter answer? Is there frustration there? Is there some issues/problems Wheeler knows should stay in the lock room? Etc

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don’t disagree with anything you said, but also I don’t have any issues with what Wheeler said…..clearly he & the team are frustrated and don’t have the answers so I would expect that frustration to show. As fans it’s easy to forget these guys are just humans, with the same flaws we all have including ego, pride, etc and how many zeros are on your paycheque doesn’t matter. His answers obviously weren’t ideal, but far from unexpected from any captain on a losing team that has dealt with a lot of adversity over the last couple years.

If a person can’t identify with the situation then I doubt said person ever been in a leadership position going through difficult times with no answers. This isn’t a post defending Wheeler or the teams play, just saying I understand Blake’s response from firsthand experience…..clearly he’s frustrated, as is the team and none of them have answers…….aka time for a new coaching staff to lead this team (summer move) & reevaluate the roster. Before anyone says, leaders should always have the answers thats what they’re paid for……I would say to those people they have no clue what it’s like to lead. No leader has all the answers intuitively, a good leader works through the issues and finds answers eventually & to-date no the leaders throughout the organization at various levels have not figured out those answers. Leaders need to be replaced when they can’t find those answers after a reasonable period of time. Is that time this summer? TBD what True North does….

I totally get that he and the team is frustrated. I don't think any team has a good room when things don't go to plan. I know first hand how draining it can be to try to lead when things aren't going well. I don't hold his frustrations against him and am actually glad most of the players seem pissed at how things are going.

I honestly have no issue for him not having answers for why certain things aren't working. Clearly if they had answers they would have been implemented.

My issue is that this is just another in a long line of interviews we're he's been snarly and short with the press. He doesn't even have the right after the game and he's still wond up excuse for this onone. He's the captain and one of his responsibilities is representing his team infront of the press and conveying things to us the paying fans.

Once or twice of him acting this way sure, we're all humans and we all have bad days. This is however starting to become a pattern with him. It says something that the media don't even want to talk to him much anymore. To me atleast he is failing at providing leadership in this facet of his job. How he deals with the other facets I can't say other then him admitting he was overbearing in the room at times in 2019. No idea how he is as a leader in there now. I do think it's telling that he was caught off guard by the identity thing, maybe needs to have a better pulse on how the rest of the room is functioning/feeling.

I tend to think that Wheeler and Mark still want to play the Maurice game plan and think that is the teams identity whereas a number of other players want to move in a different direction and this is causing the identity crisis.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, the question was basically "do you think you guys are bad leaders?". I don't think Wheeler needed the pissing match stuff but Hamilton was looking for stuff for some leadership is bad article. I guess he got it in the end.

It's a question every board will ask their CEO when things don't go to plan. What is the CEO and leadership team going to do to turn things around.

It was a very fair question and yes one as @Hunter368 indicated may not be all that easy to answer.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I totally get that he and the team is frustrated. I don't think any team has a good room when things don't go to plan. I know first hand how draining it can be to try to lead when things aren't going well. I don't hold his frustrations against him and am actually glad most of the players seem pissed at how things are going.

I honestly have no issue for him not having answers for why certain things aren't working. Clearly if they had answers they would have been implemented.

My issue is that this is just another in a long line of interviews we're he's been snarly and short with the press. He doesn't even have the right after the game and he's still wond up excuse for this onone. He's the captain and one of his responsibilities is representing his team infront of the press and conveying things to us the paying fans.

Once or twice of him acting this way sure, we're all humans and we all have bad days. This is however starting to become a pattern with him. It says something that the media don't even want to talk to him much anymore. To me atleast he is failing at providing leadership in this facet of his job. How he deals with the other facets I can't say other then him admitting he was overbearing in the room at times in 2019. No idea how he is as a leader in there now. I do think it's telling that he was caught off guard by the identity thing, maybe needs to have a better pulse on how the rest of the room is functioning/feeling.

I tend to think that Wheeler and Mark still want to play the Maurice game plan and think that is the teams identity whereas a number of other players want to move in a different direction and this is causing the identity crisis.

Agreed. I will say I know I would be even tougher on the media and 90% of their dumb questions. Yes clearly the entire room is not on the same page, that’s why I said in later post I would love to hear these end of season interviews and the locker room chats. Clearly there is problems being on the same page, I suspect Chevy was tougher on PMO then we suspected behind closed doors and maybe Blake/Mark are upset with the team handling of PMO which I understand albeit it’s unfortunate they view it that way (if true).

Reactions: Snot Rocket

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed. I will say I know I would be even tougher on the media and 90% of their dumb questions. Yes clearly the entire room is not on the same page, that’s why I said in later post I would love to hear these end of season interviews and the locker room chats. Clearly there is problems being on the same page, I suspect Chevy was tougher on PMO then we suspected behind closed doors and maybe Blake/Mark are upset with the team handling of PMO which I understand albeit it’s unfortunate they view it that way (if true).

Yes it would be incredibly interesting to hear those interviews. I have no doubt that Maurice and Chevy weren't always on the same page. We've seen some public spats between the two and the minute he was gone a young player like Cole is in the lineup playing in a meaningful role.

I'm sure you understand how hard true organizational change is. In any such transformation you will have people who have a difficult time changing. I guess Chevy will have to determine if the players who are resisting are capable of getting on board or will just dig in and disrupt it. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Reactions: None

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yes it would be incredibly interesting to hear those interviews. I have no doubt that Maurice and Chevy weren't always on the same page. We've seen some public spats between the two and the minute he was gone a young player like Cole is in the lineup playing in a meaningful role.

I'm sure you understand how hard true organizational change is. In any such transformation you will have people who have a difficult time changing. I guess Chevy will have to determine if the players who are resisting are capable of getting on board or will just dig in and disrupt it. That is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Agreed

During leadership changes often people see the need, but at times you have some people disagree with the need and then you have a divided team/lock room/management team/work force. Sometimes after a leadership change, those who can’t accept it/get over it also have to be shipped out.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agreed

During leadership changes often people see the need, but at times you have some people disagree with the need and then you have a divided team/lock room/management team/work force. Sometimes after a leadership change, those who can’t accept it/get over it also have to be shipped out.

Yup, that is really the end game here. If certain players refuse to get on board they have to be shipped out for thr betterment of the organization. See Minnesota this past summer. The moves were wildly critized but it galvanized the room and you have a team fully bought in and pulling together.

We very well might need something like that here.

Reactions: hockeyarena

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Just say everyone hypothetically agreed that wheeler is the issue. In a post covid/flat cap world is it even possible to trade him? Who could logistically take him? If no one, then what do the next 2 years of this team look like? Does it then force you to trade scheifele whom teams would actually want to take on? Not seeing a lot of options the next 2 years.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Yup, that is really the end game here. If certain players refuse to get on board they have to be shipped out for thr betterment of the organization. See Minnesota this past summer. The moves were wildly critized but it galvanized the room and you have a team fully bought in and pulling together.

We very well might need something like that here.

Agreed

If some aren’t on board with a new coach, then they have to go I don’t care who they are. We got rid of Laine who was a problem, if Blake & Mark have to be next I’m totally good with that.

Reactions: rkp and surixon

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Just say everyone hypothetically agreed that wheeler is the issue. In a post covid/flat cap world is it even possible to trade him? Who could logistically take him? If no one, then what do the next 2 years of this team look like? Does it then force you to trade scheifele whom teams would actually want to take on? Not seeing a lot of options the next 2 years.

He is still a valuable player and near PPG winger…….but he’s defensively weaker & not worth 8+ million cap hit. If the Jets retained 3 million he would be valuable at 5 million…..keep in mind in todays NHL 5 million doesn’t get you much. But the question is would the Jets retain 3 million for two years to get a decent return? Without retaining I don’t think he can be traded at 8+ mill cap hit.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Well worse comes to worse you can buy him out like how Minny did with Suter and Parise.

I imagine there would be a taker if the Jets ate a sizable portion of his cap hit. Whether he'd waive to go or not would be another matter.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I've made peace with that as well. It's about the logo and not any individual player.

Absolutely, I said that about Laine who thought he was more important then the team…….team is always first. Laine cared about his personal success more then the teams. If Mark & Blake are more loyal to PMO then they are to the Jets……well sorry they have to go also.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Absolutely, I said that about Laine who thought he was more important then the team…….team is always first. Laine cared about his personal success more then the teams. If Mark & Blake are more loyal to PMO then they are to the Jets……well sorry they have to go also.

I just want to get back to atleast seeing a team that plays as a team. These past years have been hard to be a fan given how disjointed this group has looked.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I just want to get back to atleast seeing a team that plays as a team. These past years have been hard to be a fan given how disjointed this group has looked.

Absolutely

I would sooner see a hard working, hard to play vs team who is built on depth then a soft floating lazy team that’s easy to play vs. Blue collar team gets my respect whether we win the cup or not, at least I will like to watch them

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's a question every board will ask their CEO when things don't go to plan. What is the CEO and leadership team going to do to turn things around.

It was a very fair question and yes one as @Hunter368 indicated may not be all that easy to answer.

The first question was essentially "do the leaders take a little extra responsibility when the team isn't performing well?". The follow up was more on that line that you suggested. I don't think it's an unfair question necessarily the way he phrased it but I don't think Wheeler's responses were that unreasonable either.

Reactions: Hunter368

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think Wheeler had always taken things a little too personally from the media. For all the people here who have complained about the media treating the players with kid gloves, one comes along and asks a semi-tough question and he was somewhat out of order? I don’t think it was a big deal at all tbh. What I’d like to see or hear more out of Wheeler is some accountability to the fans. He forgets the media is there to serve as a conduit to the paying public and his answers and attitude to me, don’t respect that. I’d like to hear a little ownership from the players, especially the leaders. Wheeler just comes across as “ what’s your problem man”? And it feels like he’s talking to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad