Post-Game Talk: Jets are a mess, lose 6-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
it be nice if the media would ask questions like why we are running the same system maurice used, why when we were healthy did we not run scheif, pld, stastny/copp, lowry down the middle. why there seems to be no accountability on this team unless you are young/svechnikov...

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Reasonable? Perhaps. Respectful? I disagree. Clearly the implication in that question is questioning Wheeler's leadership esp considering the context where his leadership has openly been questioned by many. So when he gets a pointed question like that it is not at all surprising that he sees it as questioning his leadership (which it was).

You'd like to see Wheeler bite his tongue on that one give a boring answer and move on but he's human and humans have a breaking point. Also weird that the reporter is poking the bear with the followup. Atleast it didn't escalate beyond that like the incident with the Edmonton reporter and Draisaitl.

Reactions: Pandemonia

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One other thing that's bugging me is maybe it's time to break up Scheifele and Wheeler . Why are they always together even when we are playing like crap and losing games? I thought maybe that was a Maurice thing but Lowry is doing it too . This is one reason i wish we had a new coach and assistants , to see if they would do the same thing.

In normal situations I'd agree but considering how decimated they are with injuries, not sure how many other options they have. Esp since in this recent stretch except for the Avs game, most of the Jets offense is coming from 55/26. Once Ehlers/Perfetti get back though I'd like to see them broken up for sure.

Reactions: Jets 31

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Wheeler as the captain should be able to answer the questions. He didn't really say much other than the same blargle flargle the players always say and came across as a bit of a Richard.

Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wheeler as the captain should be able to answer the questions. He didn't really say much other than the same blargle flargle the players always say and came across as a bit of a Richard.

He did answer the question. Unless the only answer you're satisfied with is "I'm a bad captain". He said it's part of the job and he's comfortable where he's at as a leader. We can disagree with that but he definitely answered the question.

Reactions: hockeyarena

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
He did answer the question. Unless the only answer you're satisfied with is "I'm a bad captain". He said it's part of the job and he's comfortable where he's at as a leader. We can disagree with that but he definitely answered the question.

He basically dodged other ones, and despite his answer(s) came across as someone who actually can't handle any criticism and only sunshine and roses.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
They are a mess
SmartSelect_20220227-103211_Facebook.jpg

None

Feb 22, 2012
Blake Wheeler said:
"Regardless of whether you like it or not, everyone looks at you a little bit differently — what things are supposed to look like, how you’re supposed to act, how you’re supposed to prepare and how you’re supposed to play on a nightly basis.
"That doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to have your A-game 82 times a year. That’s probably unrealistic. But people are going to look at you when you don’t have your A-game and see how you respond to that. There’s a bit of maturity that comes with that. Luckily, I just turned 30."
Wheeler gets the C; Byfuglien, Scheifele the A-team

Season's circling the drain, he's gonna get pointed questions and he knows it :dunno:

I don't really think the question deserved the sarcastic dig about not getting any praise but Hamilton probably would've gotten more from it if he took the high road. He probably could've wrote a pretty scathing article about how often the local media has championed the Jets top players to the national media but now it'll just come across as petty.

Wheeler probably could've just shut it down by taking it on the chin but now it's likely a bigger story.

To me I think the guy actually calling the shots needs to come out hiding and f***ing say something because the players are clearly frustrated and losing it.

Reactions: FFHockey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I would agree with some that not a good look for both. When the season goes off the rails as it has I think its very fair to question leadership among other things. I feel Blake should be cognizant of the fact that he will take some blame when things go bad. Instead of getting all defensive he easily could have accepted some responsibility. Perhaps that is one of my biggest pet peves lately. Instead of making excuses, getting defensive step up and own the failure. This team the last two years seems to have a massive accountability problem and if Blake is anything like he is infront of the media in the room then its not surprising things are where they are.

The fact that he was flabbergasted that some players felt the team didn't have an identity kind of sheds some light on just how disjointed this team is right now. Yes Blake maybe all the players need to sit down with the coach and iron out what is exactly expected and how you want to play as a group.

His answers pretty much confirmed what we've all seen on the ice. We have a bunch of players doing their own thing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Wheeler gets the C; Byfuglien, Scheifele the A-team

Season's circling the drain, he's gonna get pointed questions and he knows it :dunno:

I don't really think the question deserved the sarcastic dig about not getting any praise but Hamilton probably would've gotten more from it if he took the high road. He probably could've wrote a pretty scathing article about how often the local media has championed the Jets top players to the national media but now it'll just come across as petty.

Wheeler probably could've just shut it down by taking it on the chin but now it's likely a bigger story.

To me I think the guy actually calling the shots needs to come out hiding and f***ing say something because the players are clearly frustrated and losing it.

Are you talking about Chipman here? Just curious who you referring to that is hiding.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Are you talking about Chipman here? Just curious who you referring to that is hiding.

Chevy would be a good place to start but Chipman would probably be appropriate to speak more directly to season seat holders. Both I guess, but Chevy was who I meant.

Edit: Chevy's starting to remind me of Joe Mack, he'd come out and speak once a season and then basically wash his hands of anything public facing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Chevy would be a good place to start but Chipman would probably be appropriate to speak more directly to season seat holders. Both I guess, but Chevy was who I meant.

Edit: Chevy's starting to remind me of Joe Mack, he'd come out and speak once a season and then basically wash his hands of anything public facing.

Well GMs don't often speak more then a couple of times a year. Also his last PC not that long ago pretty much put the onus on the players. It's not that easy to make major roster changed within the year. What Chevy does at the TD and this summer will ultimately show us what direction we are going in.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Reasonable? Perhaps. Respectful? I disagree. Clearly the implication in that question is questioning Wheeler's leadership esp considering the context where his leadership has openly been questioned by many. So when he gets a pointed question like that it is not at all surprising that he sees it as questioning his leadership (which it was).

You'd like to see Wheeler bite his tongue on that one give a boring answer and move on but he's human and humans have a breaking point. Also weird that the reporter is poking the bear with the followup. Atleast it didn't escalate beyond that like the incident with the Edmonton reporter and Draisaitl.
Awww the 8.25 million captain is upset when someone questions what’s wrong with a team that should be a playoff team…. Life is so unfair

Reactions: HHel and sipowicz

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well GMs don't often speak more then a couple of times a year. Also his last PC not that long ago pretty much put the onus on the players. It's not that easy to make major roster changed within the year. What Chevy does at the TD and this summer will ultimately show us what direction we are going in.

I never said anything about roster changes.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would agree with some that not a good look for both. When the season goes off the rails as it has I think its very fair to question leadership among other things. I feel Blake should be cognizant of the fact that he will take some blame when things go bad. Instead of getting all defensive he easily could have accepted some responsibility. Perhaps that is one of my biggest pet peves lately. Instead of making excuses, getting defensive step up and own the failure. This team the last two years seems to have a massive accountability problem and if Blake is anything like he is infront of the media in the room then its not surprising things are where they are.

The fact that he was flabbergasted that some players felt the team didn't have an identity kind of sheds some light on just how disjointed this team is right now. Yes Blake maybe all the players need to sit down with the coach and iron out what is exactly expected and how you want to play as a group.

His answers pretty much confirmed what we've all seen on the ice. We have a bunch of players doing their own thing.

Don’t disagree with anything you said, but also I don’t have any issues with what Wheeler said…..clearly he & the team are frustrated and don’t have the answers so I would expect that frustration to show. As fans it’s easy to forget these guys are just humans, with the same flaws we all have including ego, pride, etc and how many zeros are on your paycheque doesn’t matter. His answers obviously weren’t ideal, but far from unexpected from any captain on a losing team that has dealt with a lot of adversity over the last couple years.

If a person can’t identify with the situation then I doubt said person ever been in a leadership position going through difficult times with no answers. This isn’t a post defending Wheeler or the teams play, just saying I understand Blake’s response from firsthand experience…..clearly he’s frustrated, as is the team and none of them have answers…….aka time for a new coaching staff to lead this team (summer move) & reevaluate the roster. Before anyone says, leaders should always have the answers thats what they’re paid for……I would say to those people they have no clue what it’s like to lead. No leader has all the answers intuitively, a good leader works through the issues and finds answers eventually & to-date no the leaders throughout the organization at various levels have not figured out those answers. Leaders need to be replaced when they can’t find those answers after a reasonable period of time. Is that time this summer? TBD what True North does….

Again, not defending Wheeler or the teams results this year, but some people here clearly have never been in a leadership position going through difficult times. Just trying to add some context here. Difficult times in Jets land bring difficult decisions & conversations

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Well what do you expect him to say to the media?

Offer something we haven't already heard from the coaches or players. His own interpretation of the apparent adversity that Maurice and the team's leaders have been saying since November. To me either he needs to take some of the heat away from the players or I'm going to believe that the silence means he's willing to let his players take all of the blame because he blames them himself.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Don’t disagree with anything you said, but also I don’t have any issues with what Wheeler said…..clearly he & the team are frustrated and don’t have the answers so I would expect that frustration to show. As fans it’s easy to forget these guys are just humans, with the same flaws we all have including ego, pride, etc and how many zeros are on your paycheque doesn’t matter. His answers obviously weren’t ideal, but far from unexpected from any captain on a losing team that has dealt with a lot of adversity over the last couple years.

If a person can’t identify with the situation then I doubt said person ever been in a leadership position going through difficult times with no answers. This isn’t a post defending Wheeler or the teams play, just saying I understand Blake’s response from firsthand experience…..clearly he’s frustrated, as is the team and none of them have answers…….aka time for a new coaching staff to lead this team (summer move) & reevaluate the roster. Before anyone says, leaders should always have the answers thats what they’re paid for……I would say to those people they have no clue what it’s like to lead. No leader has all the answers intuitively, a good leader works through the issues and finds answers eventually & to-date no the leaders throughout the organization at various levels have not figured out those answers. Leaders need to be replaced when they can’t find those answers after a reasonable period of time. Is that time this summer? TBD what True North does….

Yeah, the question was basically "do you think you guys are bad leaders?". I don't think Wheeler needed the pissing match stuff but Hamilton was looking for stuff for some leadership is bad article. I guess he got it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad