Post-Game Talk: Jets 4 Canucks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think GAR really likes Samberg. Not sure how that reconciles to the nervous play we've been seeing.

Or perhaps I'm misremembering the GAR stat.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Agreed on "lights out" . Think some are overrating him considerably. He was mostly solid last year, however it was in a v sheltered role, and V small amount of gp/ TOI . Weird how a similarly aged Stanley would get all these qualifiers of his play (sheltered, 3rd pair etc) meanwhile it's conveniently omitted with Samberg.

This year he's really fighting it. I don't ever see him a catalyst for offense, but his puck skills have been a weakness. Defensively I guess he's average given his role?

I don't get why samberg seems to have all this supposed untapped top 4 potential yet Stanley who is merely 7 months older is what he is? Id say Stanleys first year has been better than any of the proceeding seasons that any of the two players shown so far. They're in their draft+6th and draft+7th id say they're both closer to are what they are than make a huge jump to quality and consistent top 4 d. But I really hope I'm wrong.
I couldn’t agree more.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I'm interested to see if Adam Lowry stays on the wing for a stretch here. Scheifele seemed pretty happy to have a guy who thinks the game well on his line. I'm just thinking now, if Perfetti comes back, would you keep Lowry on that line. Lowry is the kind of hard forechecker and toughness I think the Jets want playing around a player like Perfetti, except he has been cast into a role as top defending centre. And by the looks of it, he's been carrying his wingers, who have haven't played as well without him.

That's a tough one for me because I think strength down the middle has been a reason for the Jets success, and eventually you want to get Lowry back in his regular spot, with regular wingers, but Stenlund and Gustafsson both have something to prove, would you trust them on the road as unprotected centres against top players?
I would not.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

AlaskaJet

Retrieves pucks and ducks
Sep 29, 2017
Olympia, Washington (from Ft. Garry)
Morrisey dayy to day? Welp...see you next season JoMo! :(:help:
No worries, Bowness is not like that other guy. It’s Okay..it’s not like past years where the coach had a “let them think the aneurysm or lumbar hairline fracture is ‘just day-to-day’ script.
This guy is straight-up as forthcoming and informative as he can possibly be.
There is genuine room for optimism when he implies it, and unlike one of our former coaches, you can read his face a lot better.
Funny thing though, they both frown, although Bowness doesn’t have any angry scowl or glare like we used to see at pressers a few years back.
So yeah, we really could be seeing Norrissey any time soon, as long as nothing serious raises it’s head.

We need him healthy to hold the fort while sighting in on Oilers and Flames.
Let’s expect a more careful Slamberg and good performances from the rest of the D, counting on that from DeMelo and hopefully Dillon and (😬) Pionk.
Tiny Heiny looks to be filling in the gaps much better.
I’ll be happy with 2 points out of 4 coming up..anything better is poutine with gravy.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agreed, but I would give him one more game to show if he’s cleaned up his gaffs.
He’s in until at Stanley is healthy whenever that is.
For the most part he’s been good, but I can understand some people wanting him out.
People feel that way about Heinola as well and last night Tiny Heiny played a good steady game, he may not next one it’s what they all go through.
DeMelo, Schmidt and Pionk constantly get shit on here too…… it’s HF baby

Reactions: AlaskaJet

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
I don’t dislike Vancouver but man if they are ever to beat the Jets, last night was it.
Not sure but they seem off.
They keep doubling down on a team that hasn't won anything. They are right up against the cap with no prospects in the pool.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Their recent record against the Jets is pretty bad, especially on the road. Before last season, Vancouver had beaten the Jets once since 2015.
Oh, I know. I bet my boss and everyone that would take the bet for all those games. Just beer, but I have had a lot of free beer over those years.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I find Stanley to be slow afoot and not very agile and though he attempts to play physical he’s really not great at that either.
Samberg has more of an upside I believe.

Samberg has definitely struggled the last few games there’s no sugar coating that.

Stanley will get some playing time soon enough.
I didn't see Stanley passing the puck to the opposition a couple times a game like Poolberg does, plus he's as soft as margarine!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Oh I agree that he's capable of much more but this is probably the first time he's given a glimpse of what he can bring.

The more confidence he gets the better he'll be imo.

Yep.

He had plenty of nice transitional and attacking plays but the one that stood out to me was in the 2nd IIRC when he'd made a play to take it in deep for a scoring chance, then picked the puck back up in the DZ and slung a pass back up the middle for another scoring chance by (I think) Stenlund -- or maybe Kuhlman. Or someone.

It's the kind of play that can throw off defenders while keeping the pressure on the opposing team who aren't expecting to have to defend again so quickly. A good example of how he can defend well by not having to defend.

Thought 55 and 80 were terrific, with 80 being absolutely dominant for quite a few shifts once again. Lowry and 37 of course, DeMelo and the Swede Dreams line plus Harkins did their thing. Team started to take the game over after a shaky first 15.

Fill out those get well cards for JNorr. He's gonna need 'em, and we need him.

Looking forward to seeing our ECHL depth shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and surixon

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I’m seeing reports online that Draisaitl is out for tonight’s game. Could be long term.
Catching the Oilers without him and on the 2nd half of a back-to-back is something our injury riddled team could use.

They play in Seattle so the Jets will be waiting for them. Doesn’t mean we’ll win but at least it helps to balance out the shit storm we’ve been enduring.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I admit to sharing the disappointment of many posters here. I had hoped for quite a bit more from Samberg. But I don't want to jump all over his every mistake. We need to have a little more patience with him and not be overly influenced by the odd big event mistake.
True, but he has played 27 games this year, which a decent sample, and has pretty much performed as I expected. He has an NHL career ahead of him but will never be outstanding. We lose very little by giving him a break and others an opportunity.

Ville has only had 6 games this season, which is simply not enough time to judge. His floor is lower than Samberg's but his ceiling much higher. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds.:popcorn:.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
True, but he has played 27 games this year, which a decent sample, and has pretty much performed as I expected. He has an NHL career ahead of him but will never be outstanding. We lose very little by giving him a break and others an opportunity.

Ville has only had 6 games this season, which is simply not enough time to judge. His floor is lower than Samberg's but his ceiling much higher. Will be very interesting to see how this unfolds.:popcorn:.
True but Heinol’s potential vs Samberg is less important than what he can do tomorrow since Jets are trying to be competitive not rebuild. Also Samberg brings a defensive game that they need for team balance as well as pks so fit is just as important.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
True but Heinol’s potential vs Samberg is less important than what he can do tomorrow since Jets are trying to be competitive not rebuild. Also Samberg brings a defensive game that they need for team balance as well as pks so fit is just as important.
The problem is Samberg has not been bringing that for some time. He's not all bad but he has several pretty bad plays each game and right now we can't be gift wrapping goals to the other team with the injuries to our scoring.

As for pk, the guy can't clear the puck. That was one of our major issues with our pk last year.

He can block shots but so could Beaulieu

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The problem is Samberg has not been bringing that for some time. He's not all bad but he has several pretty bad plays each game and right now we can't be gift wrapping goals to the other team with the injuries to our scoring.

As for pk, the guy can't clear the puck. That was one of our major issues with our pk last year.

He can block shots but so could Beaulieu
That’s a more legit argument than potential that Heinola is better right now. After all our window is as long as Helly Schief and Pld are here and then we have to go through a rebuild/ reboot.

Reactions: Jet and WolfHouse

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No worries, Bowness is not like that other guy. It’s Okay..it’s not like past years where the coach had a “let them think the aneurysm or lumbar hairline fracture is ‘just day-to-day’ script.
This guy is straight-up as forthcoming and informative as he can possibly be.
There is genuine room for optimism when he implies it, and unlike one of our former coaches, you can read his face a lot better.
Funny thing though, they both frown, although Bowness doesn’t have any angry scowl or glare like we used to see at pressers a few years back.
So yeah, we really could be seeing Norrissey any time soon, as long as nothing serious raises it’s head.

We need him healthy to hold the fort while sighting in on Oilers and Flames.
Let’s expect a more careful Slamberg and good performances from the rest of the D, counting on that from DeMelo and hopefully Dillon and (😬) Pionk.
Tiny Heiny looks to be filling in the gaps much better.
I’ll be happy with 2 points out of 4 coming up..anything better is poutine with gravy.
Right after a game rarely would a coach know the extent of any injuries especially if they happened late in a game. Likely at that point the team doctors are still trying to figure it out. Personally I like to hear a coach say f*** how should I know I haven’t even talked to the player or any doctors yet. And even if he has he needs the players consent to disclose anything.

Reactions: Dale53130

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Stanley, when healthy is in our top 6 easily.
I think it would remain a rotation for the 6th spot. Before Logan got injured he was in and out of the lineup. All depends on who plays the best. Stanley wasn’t having a very good season in terms of progressing. Until someone clearly establishes themselves (out of Stanley, Samberg, Capo & Heinola) I don’t think any of them is automatically in the lineup.

Our other 5 when healthy are set.

Oilers laying a massive beating on Seattle without Drai in the lineup (7-2 with a few minutes left). Hopefully they will be much less successful vs us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad