Post-Game Talk: Jets 3- Ducks 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think it'll be completely different from last night. I just hope it'll be worth the time and trouble to watch, I hate it when the other team pumps in two quick ones and you're watching a boring 50 mins when you know we'll never catch up. I think the wizard's wife says we can jet up to Frisco for a few nights if we beat the Kings. Mind you, she's always loved Frisco...
I have seen 3 Jets games in LA, pretty big arena but i always found it a bit dark in there. Really nice setup with shops, bars and restaurants all around it too.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I think the wizard's wife says we can jet up to Frisco for a few nights if we beat the Kings. Mind you, she's always loved Frisco...
Your references to "the boss" almost sound like you defer to her on a lot of decisions. From my limited experience, it seems that establishing equality early in a relationship leads to long, stable marriages.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
IDK about that. As coach you'd have to weigh the benefits of an unchanged Lowry line against the benefits of a 2nd line that might score more and give up less once it's playing faster and more error-free.

You might also weigh the benefits of giving an unchained Barron more ice time and a shot as a difference maker on that now faster, stronger and shootier second line -- but that raises the unthinkable (for the Jets) prospect of moving Wheeler down to the 4th line.

Several ways to reason soundly around this one, IMO.
I think the correct term is “more shootier”

• Haha
Reactions: Stumbledore

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
It figures, we get a "Big big win" and I missed it. Also missed my usual Sportscentre recap this morning. Found a brief highlights package that shows all 3 of our goalscorers were within 1 meter of the net (about 3 feet for some of you). Maybe that's our key to going forward, having guys close in.

Also noticed, thanks to great replays, how little Helle saw of the shot that went in over his shoulder. We need to do a much better job of clearing away big guys in front of our net. We need to do a better job in lots of areas but we came out with 2 points and that's all that matters with the Preds keeping pace.

I wonder if the guys get the day off to go to Disneyworld? I haven't been for a few years but it truly was magical.

I'll read the rest of the PGT ovr lunch.
Couple of years ago was having a conversation with my son (18 or 19 at the time), about the time we took him to Disneyworld. His comment? “We went to Disneyworld?” Apparently pretty magical for him too.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Your references to "the boss" almost sound like you defer to her on a lot of decisions. From my limited experience, it seems that establishing equality early in a relationship leads to long, stable marriages.
I don't know that I defer to her too often, but she's the outgoing, socially dominant half of our equation. (I cracked up at Howard"s "my wife has allowed me to be equal".) I was the quiet deeds and documents lawyer, she was the courtroom brawler, so she got labelled the boss and never minded it. And yeah, we're coming up on half a centruy.

I always tell people that I look up to my wife, the joke being that she's almost 2 inches taller than me. Or as the grandkids call it 5 cm. She's a 6 foot beauty and wears a lot of floor length robes and capes and stuff and one of her knees is shot so she carries this expensive fancy cane all the time just in case. One of our kids gave her a nickname that was so good it spread to the whole family. Behind her back they call her Galadriel and she loves it.

Just realized you reversed the game on Old Snoopy One. Well played.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Couple of years ago was having a conversation with my son (18 or 19 at the time), about the time we took him to Disneyworld. His comment? “We went to Disneyworld?” Apparently pretty magical for him too.
Lol. I'd have him checked if I were you.

I don't know that I defer to her too often, but she's the outgoing, socially dominant half of our equation. (I cracked up at Howard"s "my wife has allowed me to be equal".) I was the quiet deeds and documents lawyer, she was the courtroom brawler, so she got labelled the boss and never minded it. And yeah, we're coming up on half a centruy.

I always tell people that I look up to my wife, the joke being that she's almost 2 inches taller than me. Or as the grandkids call it 5 cm. She's a 6 foot beauty and wears a lot of floor length robes and capes and stuff and one of her knees is shot so she carries this expensive fancy cane all the time just in case. One of our kids gave her a nickname that was so good it spread to the whole family. Behind her back they call her Galadriel and she loves it.

Just realized you reversed the game on Old Snoopy One. Well played.
Love the nickname. Gotta run, just accepted a casual last minute date (hey, I'm not proud, newly back on the market).

Will do the promised avatar fix when I get home.

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
Lol. I'd have him checked if I were you.

Love the nickname. Gotta run, just accepted a casual last minute date (hey, I'm not proud, newly back on the market).

Will do the promised avatar fix when I get home.
When I described it to him, he remembered. The problem was no “best pizza ever, or best burger ever”.
He was more impressed with the zoo in Melbourne Fl. that you can kayak through and feed the giraffes from your hand.

Reactions: Inanna

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
The big issue is the drop off of talent after the top 6.
Sure move Wheeler down to play with who exactly?
Wheeler even with his age and severe injury this year is miles better than anyone on the bottom 6!
Half those guys have stone hands and don’t have the hockey IQ to play with a guy like him.
Our bottom 6 is playing the game miles better than Wheeler.
Those guys hustle, hit and play smart. They are not the liability Wheeler is.
26 is a turnover machine, low hockey IQ at this point.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Our bottom 6 is playing the game miles better than Wheeler.
Those guys hustle, hit and play smart. They are not the liability Wheeler is.
26 is a turnover machine, low hockey IQ at this point.
It’s the best bottom 6 we had for sure no doubt.
I wish Wheeler had been moved a few years back as I believe him and Scheifele weren’t a good fit with the rest of the team.
( they are/were our best players when they are on and that’s a whole other story)
However the reality is the broken version of Wheeler isn’t a great fit for the top 6 , nor he is a fit for the bottom 6 as he’s too skilled to play with what we have there.
It’s frustrating as a Jets fan.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
You’re right, and Schmidt has had a good year for the most part, especially given his role as shelterer in chief.

Don‘t see the surplus value exactly, but maybe that’s with the elite good-in-the-room factor priced in.

It's his defence. It's been elite this season, although one could argue he's done so with sheltered minutes, at least when compared to that of every other pairing (Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo & Dillon)

Using Dom's model, The Athletics rates the market value of the Jets defence as Morrissey ($10.4m), Schmidt ($7.1m), DeMelo($4.6m),Samberg($4.0m),Dillon($2.3m) & Pionk(league minimum).

I'd be interested in seeing analytics on his play with multiple parters as he's rotated the season with one of Samberg, Stanley or Capobianco.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 11.18.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DRW204

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's his defence. It's been elite this seaso, although one could argue he's done so with sheltered minutes, at least when compared to that of every other pairing (Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo & Dillon)

Using Dom's model The Athletics rates the market value of the Jets defence as Morrissey ($10.4m), Schmidt ($7.1m), DeMelo($4.6m),Samberg($4.0m),Dillon($2.3m) & Pionk(league minimum).

I'd be interested in seeing analytics on his play with multiple parters as he's rotated the season with one of Samberg, Stanley or Capobianco.

View attachment 675585
We are still paying a guy 6m to play 12-13 mins a game though

Those stats in a sheltered role really increase his trade value right now

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
We are still paying a guy 6m to play 12-13 mins a game though

Those stats in a sheltered role really increase his trade value right now
NHL defensemen don't play 12-13 minutes a night. Nearly every NHL team has their 3rd pairing defensemen average 16-18 minutes TOI/GP.

Schmidt averages 18:48.

Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 12.15.53 PM.png

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The big issue is the drop off of talent after the top 6.
Sure move Wheeler down to play with who exactly?
Wheeler even with his age and severe injury this year is miles better than anyone on the bottom 6!
Half those guys have stone hands and don’t have the hockey IQ to play with a guy like him.

Yup, that is a problem.
I might try Namestnikov in the top 6. But he probably doesn't belong there either.

Things are different if Perfetti hadn't been injured. I wonder how he is doing with his recovery? Haven't heard anything for quite a while.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
The problem with Schimdt is not his play ... its the contract.
Schmidt is paid pretty fairly, relative to his peers with results that reflect the Jets are at bare minimum breaking even on his contract.

There are 60 other defensemen in the league all making $5 million+, perhaps 20 of which aren't playing at Schmidt's level.

Schmidt making $5.95 million isn't the albatross contract so many make it out to be, particularly with just a year of term left.

If he continues next year at the same level next season, his next contract will likely be on par with this one, albeit with shorter term. GM's will always pay a premium for defensemen who can play the right side.

Now could the Jets be making better use of that $5.95 million? Perhaps, but that's a different conversation altogether.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Schmidt is paid pretty fairly, relative to his peers with results that reflect the Jets are at bare minimum breaking even on his contract.

There are 60 other defensemen in the league all making $5 million+, perhaps 20 of which aren't playing at Schmidt's level.

Schmidt making $5.95 million isn't the albatross contract so many make it out to be, particularly with just a year of term left.

If he continues next year at the same level next season, his next contract will likely be on par with this one, albeit with shorter term. GM's will always pay a premium for defensemen who can play the right side.

Now could the Jets be making better use of that $5.95 million? Perhaps, but that's a different conversation altogether.
Worst case scenario - Chevy is well poised for a trade deadline sell off... pretty sure the Penguins would have given us a 1st and a prospect for Schmidt if we were sellers

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It's his defence. It's been elite this seaso, although one could argue he's done so with sheltered minutes, at least when compared to that of every other pairing (Morrissey, Pionk, DeMelo & Dillon)

Using Dom's model The Athletics rates the market value of the Jets defence as Morrissey ($10.4m), Schmidt ($7.1m), DeMelo($4.6m),Samberg($4.0m),Dillon($2.3m) & Pionk(league minimum).

View attachment 675585
yeah i dont get the hate on schmidt. it's not economical for a 3rd pair dman to be making nearly 6M however, it has not really constrained us from making moves.... we went into the year with like 4m in cap iirc so really had space to spare

i think we've discussed this before... he and samberg should probably swap TOI with dillon-pionk, and see how they fare with increased role/responsibilities. i don't doubt schmidt would be fine, he performed really well with this dillon this year and last, as well as morrissey last year. i think lots had a sour taste in their mouth b/c he ended last year w/ stanley, and stanley didn't have a real strong last year unless w/ demelo

sorted by chances against (obviously other contextual factors come into play ie: fwd groups for/against)

1679768358496.png

last year
1679768541435.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
yeah i dont get the hate on schmidt. it's not economical for a 3rd pair dman to be making nearly 6M however, it has not really constrained us from making moves.... we went into the year with like 4m in cap iirc.

i think we've discussed this before... he and samberg should probably swap TOI with dillon-pionk, and see how they fare with increased role/responisbilities. i don't doubt schmidt would be fine, he performed really well with this dillon this year and last, as well as morrissey last year. i think lots had a sour taste in their mouth b/c he ended last year w/ stanley, and stanley was an anchor for most partners.

sorted by chances against.

View attachment 675656
Its a real bummer that Schmidt-JoMo don't work... I was hoping for a high-flying offensive first pairing but they just don't seem to gel - maybe its time to try that again

JoMo-Schmidt
Samberg-DeMelo
Dillon-Pionk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad