Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I get your point - he is a skilled player

But my main point is that he is simply unable to play the minutes - and I worry about what he will be able to handle as we progress.
Replacing his skill wouldn't be easy - but I don't think he has the legs to even show us the skill at this point. When a player is falling down, losing pucks, completely unable to engage physically, and standing around as much as he is right now, I don't see where he will have an opportunity to show us his skill.
I can see someone with less skill and a ton more energy, making that line a lot more effective.

At this point, all I see from Wheels is the odd decent pass - it's damage control at this point for me - I think he is done.
At the very,very least you can't have Wheeler and Scheifele on the 1st line together, that ship has sailed.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Some random thoughts.

Honda Center is huge and first claas but holds fewer seats than I expected, barely 17K. Most of them were empty last night. Don't knnow the official attendance figures, wasn't more than 8-9K there. Crowd quieter than the 5K place in Phoenix.

From where I sat, second row from the glass, just outside the blue line, all the Jets were working and giving a good effort, even Schief despite his haters on here. Watched PLD for most of his shifts and he's definitely not 100%, has some great bursts but you can see him labouring. Fastest player on the ice was Ehlers, Connor still has amazing speed but spent first period looked haunted. He and Schief both gripping their sticks too tight. Had a
coupla Ducks fans ask if PLD was injured. Best player for me was Morgon Barron.

Beer selection was amazing, probably 18 to choose from, some of them local crafters. Overdid it and was so glad we had a ride back to Pasedena. Prices here are ridiculous (you can take the boy out of Shepherd's Bush but...) and was glad our hosts were treating. Our seats were $230 each and if they paid full price that's over $1K even before the nachos and beer. And thats USD of course. The wife says she bought two "really good" seats for tomorrow's game downtown and tehy're $173 each.

Okay, hate this laptop so that's it from me for now. Plus the boss says I have to get dressed for lunch.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The jets top 6 equation for this year...

Separate 81 and 55

Play a different RW more than 26...probably 27

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
At the very,very least you can't have Wheeler and Scheifele on the 1st line together, that ship has sailed.
I don't know Wheeler seems as good as anyone at putting pucks in Scheifele's wheelhouse. I'd be interested in the breakdown of primary assists on Scheifele's goals to see where he stands.

Right now I think the coach is just looking for combinations that work. Connor has been more effective with Dubois this year so that change makes sense. Ehlers is good enough to skate with Scheifele so there is still hope there. I noticed certain plays Scheifele made last night that were attempts to get Ehlers attacking with speed. And that's still an edge for the Jets having Connor and Ehlers going downhill at top speed.

I think the final 10 games the forward combinations will become more static. Trying to build up some chemistry which makes players more instinctive to their linemates. Right now the only change is switching the top 2 centres.

Reactions: GNP and Inanna

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It figures, we get a "Big big win" and I missed it. Also missed my usual Sportscentre recap this morning. Found a brief highlights package that shows all 3 of our goalscorers were within 1 meter of the net (about 3 feet for some of you). Maybe that's our key to going forward, having guys close in.

Also noticed, thanks to great replays, how little Helle saw of the shot that went in over his shoulder. We need to do a much better job of clearing away big guys in front of our net. We need to do a better job in lots of areas but we came out with 2 points and that's all that matters with the Preds keeping pace.

I wonder if the guys get the day off to go to Disneyworld? I haven't been for a few years but it truly was magical.

I'll read the rest of the PGT ovr lunch.

Helle was thoroughly screened on that goal but it wasn't about a failure to clear. It was timing. 2 Ducks and 2 Jets arrived in front of the net just in time for that shot to find its way in. There had been 1 Duck there for a little longer with a Jet on him. Helle was able to track the puck around them though. Took a seeing-eye puck to find its way in through that crowd. :laugh: How did it not hit any body?

Reactions: Inanna

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Sorry guys just woke up! YAWN! lol

GO LURCH GO!!:amazed:

A solid 3 out of 5 Schwarzeneggers

1679685023571.gif

1679685023571.gif

1679685023571.gif

Onwards and Upwards

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah, poor Wheeler. By my eye-test, time has caught up with him. He hasn't been the same since his injury. (lol, who would be?)
Its been coming gradually for 2-3 years and now I think it has arrived. At least time to cut his TOI, take him off the PP.

Ehlers with Scheif and Connor with PLD has to help.
The big issue is the drop off of talent after the top 6.
Sure move Wheeler down to play with who exactly?
Wheeler even with his age and severe injury this year is miles better than anyone on the bottom 6!
Half those guys have stone hands and don’t have the hockey IQ to play with a guy like him.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
When somebody writes "you gotta believe", my sensors go off. When I'm told more than once that something is "obvious", I get suspicious that I'm being sold something.

Just saying.
My long winded post boils down to this.... Why the f@ck does Bones keep using Wheeler the way he does when it's obvious he's killing us in the top 6 and on PP1.

Maybe stating the obvious but IMHO Chipman is too hands on and is influencing this.

You gotta believe I wasn't trying to sell anything.

Reactions: GNP and Inanna

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Man at quick glance that looks like Sara O beside you lol!
No, that is Evie beside me. Much taller than Sara, lol.

I'm rethinking the use of that photo here without her permission. It did sit on her Facebook page for about a year, along with a lot of more revealing shots, but that hardly makes it public domain.

I'll change my avatar when I get home today. And who schedules a seminar for 4 pm on a Friday?

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
My long winded post boils down to this.... Why the f@ck does Bones keep using Wheeler the way he does when it's obvious he's killing us in the top 6 and on PP1.

Maybe stating the obvious but IMHO Chipman is too hands on and is influencing this.

Glad to hear that. You're certainly entitled to your own opinions, and when it comes to hockey I'm sure you're more knowledgeable than me (it's a low bar), I just react badly when someone tells me what Chipman knows or Bowness thinks without anything to back it up. And, for what it's worth, I totally agree with you about Wheeler but I have to think the coach knows a whole lot more about this team than anyone posting here.

Or at least I hope he does.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
That was easily Appleton's best game of the season, would really help if he can keep playing like that.
Last nights game wasn't his first strong game of late. Coach has commended him repeatedly over the past few weeks. I think he's team mates have given him one of the two jackets (which are a far better concept than that helmet ever was) a few times as well over this period. I think he's worn it 3 or 4 times this season, which says a lot considering how long he was out for.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I would hope we move on from Pionk or Schmidt , both make too much money for what they are bringing to the ice.
I get the pitchforks for Pionk (although he was player of the game just 5 days ago against Nashville).

I don't get the hate for Schmidt. He's had a really successful year, particularly considering he's playing his weak side & doing so on the 3rd pairing with one of Samberg, Stanley or Capobianco. The Athletic lists him playing at a surplus value.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

I wouldn't mind seeing Wheeler getting bumped down when Perfetti is back

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The big issue is the drop off of talent after the top 6.
Sure move Wheeler down to play with who exactly?
Wheeler even with his age and severe injury this year is miles better than anyone on the bottom 6!
Half those guys have stone hands and don’t have the hockey IQ to play with a guy like him.
I wouldn't mind Barron getting a shot up there, big guy, good defensively and might have some offensive touch if given a shot up with a Scheifele and Ehlers.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I get the pitchforks for Pionk (although he was player of the game just 5 days ago against Nashville).

I don't get the hate for Schmidt. He's had a really successful year, particularly considering he's playing his weak side & doing so on the 3rd pairing with one of Samberg, Stanley or Capobianco. The Athletic lists him playing at a surplus value.
Don't hate Pionk or Schmidt , i just think for 6 million a season we should get a little more offense. That could also be the Winnipeg'r in me wanting a great deal though.:laugh:

Reactions: JetsUK

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
What goes up must come down, Jets are 1-0-1 vs. the Kings this year. Both games overs...so might see a different type of game Saturday.
I think it'll be completely different from last night. I just hope it'll be worth the time and trouble to watch, I hate it when the other team pumps in two quick ones and you're watching a boring 50 mins when you know we'll never catch up. I think the wizard's wife says we can jet up to Frisco for a few nights if we beat the Kings. Mind you, she's always loved Frisco...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Def agree with this.

Don’t know what’s up with 55 atm but it looked like KFC was positively set free last night, while Ehlers seemed to be doing 90% of the work on that line.

It isn’t a lack of effort with Wheeler and he bears no blame or shame for a demotion having played like hell for most of the season, but he’s been a drag on the lines / PPs of late and they need to head into the POs with momentum.

Don't hate Pionk or Schmidt , i just think for 6 million a season we should get a little more offense. That could also be the Winnipeg'r in me wanting a great deal though.:laugh:

Time to go back to the Kern Hill Defence?

Agree for sure. One of those guys is enough.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

You’re right, and Schmidt has had a good year for the most part, especially given his role as shelterer in chief.

Don‘t see the surplus value exactly, but maybe that’s with the elite good-in-the-room factor priced in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad