Jets 2013 Draft Talk - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
IF the Jets don't make the playoffs, and as of today they still have a decent chance TO MAKE the playoffs, then they would likely pick in the 11 to 14 range. Make the playoffs and it's likely in the 15-17 range.

In the 11 to 14 range, who do guys want the Jets to pick? A forward? A dman?

If Zadorov, Shinkaruk, Lindholm or Monahan 'fall' to that range, i'd be happy with any of them. Is there a sleeper who the Jets like? I'm thinking Pulock would likely be available, too. I like the local ties, though i'm not sure where his ceiling would be compared to others.

In the 15-17 range, Pulock may still be there or Domi, Mantha, Morrissey or Erne. Who else?

And... When is Holden going to post his draft list? :)

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
IF the Jets don't make the playoffs, and as of today they still have a decent chance TO MAKE the playoffs, then they would likely pick in the 11 to 14 range. Make the playoffs and it's likely in the 15-17 range.

If Zadorov, Shinkaruk, Lindholm or Monahan 'fall' to that range, i'd be happy with any of them. Is there a sleeper who the Jets like? I'm thinking Pulock would likely be available, too. I like the local ties, though i'm not sure where his ceiling would be compared to others.

In the 15-17 range, Pulock may still be there or Domi, Mantha, Morrissey or Erne. Who else?

My first hope is that one of the coveted forwards somehow falls to us. Don't see it happening, but if we miss the playoffs and pick 11th or so, my fingers will be crossed watching the draft that more than a few teams ahead of us take a defenseman (Jones, Nurse, and maybe RR and Zadorov?), and somehow against all odds a guy like Lindholm or Monahan falls to us.

I always want us to pick BPA, I just think every team's BPA list is different, and for us a guy like Lindholm or Monahan would be very high I would think.

I don't really know what to look forward to if we make the playoffs and pick in the 15-17 range. Shinkaruk looks like a good fit position wise, don't know if the org thinks he's the BPA or not. Heck, it's probably one of our least areas of need next to LW, but if the org thought that RR was the BPA I would be on board with that as well. I'm one of those that wouldn't be upset at all if we took Nichushkin, obviously only if he blew the org away at the interviews. I wouldn't care at all that he would play 2 more years in Russia. Most prospects play a year or two after they are drafted anyway.

I really don't know what to look forward to if we somehow won the division and picked in the mid 20's. Hope a guy like Lazar or Zykov falls?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Wennberg for me. If we go Dman I would prefer Zadorov over Pulock.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
My first hope is that one of the coveted forwards somehow falls to us. Don't see it happening, but if we miss the playoffs and pick 11th or so, my fingers will be crossed watching the draft that more than a few teams ahead of us take a defenseman (Jones, Nurse, and maybe RR and Zadorov?), and somehow against all odds a guy like Lindholm or Monahan falls to us.

I always want us to pick BPA, I just think every team's BPA list is different, and for us a guy like Lindholm or Monahan would be very high I would think.

I don't really know what to look forward to if we make the playoffs and pick in the 15-17 range. Shinkaruk looks like a good fit position wise, don't know if the org thinks he's the BPA or not. Heck, it's probably one of our least areas of need next to LW, but if the org thought that RR was the BPA I would be on board with that as well. I'm one of those that wouldn't be upset at all if we took Nichushkin, obviously only if he blew the org away at the interviews. I wouldn't care at all that he would play 2 more years in Russia. Most prospects play a year or two after they are drafted anyway.

I really don't know what to look forward to if we somehow won the division and picked in the mid 20's. Hope a guy like Lazar or Zykov falls?

I agree Huff.

I seem to flip flop on whether i want an earlier pick, or a later pick due to playoff success. I think this team has some serious holes to fill, or upgrades needed in a few areas, and we just don't seem able to fill them. Chevy's track record so far when it comes to FA or trade, leaves a lot to be desired. BUT, recent draft choices seem to be working out ok (none have actually made the roster), and some of the players in the system (Redmond, Postma), seem to be earning NHL jobs. Therefore, maybe i place too much on the draft as the solution to the Jets inability to be a consistent playoff contender.

Monahan or Lindholm, to me, fill a very key need for this organization, even if Scheifele turns into a solid Top 6 forward. As does Shinkaruk as a Top 6 scoring/playmaking winger. Love Zadorov's physical game. Can always use that.

The other options don't seem to be what we need, or have a much greater chance of being a bust. But hey, let's make the playoffs and worry about that later. :nod:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Wennberg for me. If we go Dman I would prefer Zadorov over Pulock.

I would love to hear more about Wennberg. Seems like of all the guys in the top 30, he seems to get the least amount of press.

6'1" C that put up 32 points in 46 games in the Allsvenskan. Sounds pretty good.

How good is that league? What other prospects played there before being drafted?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I don't know, but I'm not at all interested in Pulock. If it were a defensemen, I'd prefer RR, Zadorov and Nurse before Pulock. Just not a big fan of his.

Forward is what I think the JETS will end up drafting, and it could be any one of Erne, Lazar, Gauthier, Mantha or Zykov. again, depending on where that pick is, Hartman and Lodge could be considered.

Personally, I think the player they will value most in that 11- 17 range will be Gauthier. He's got size and has terrific hockey sense. He seems like the kind of player with untapped upside that the JETS love. Almost like when Scheifele was their guy. It's been said his upside is similar to that of Keith Primeau, but at worst, he could develop into a Martin Hanzal type shutdown center.

REALISTICALLY, Gauthier is the player I want the JETS to draft. Anyone thinking that Monahan or Lindholm might fall to the JETS need to stop dreaming. Sure, anything is possible, but I seriously DOUBT IT!

I'm still leery about Nichuhskin, but could be sold on him if TNSE was 100% behind that selection.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't know, but I'm not at all interested in Pulock. If it were a defensemen, I'd prefer RR, Zadorov and Nurse before Pulock. Just not a big fan of his.

Forward is what I think the JETS will end up drafting, and it could be any one of Erne, Lazar, Gauthier, Mantha or Zykov. again, depending on where that pick is, Hartman and Lodge could be considered.

Personally, I think the player they will value most in that 11- 17 range will be Gauthier. He's got size and has terrific hockey sense. He seems like the kind of player with untapped upside that the JETS love. Almost like when Scheifele was their guy. It's been said his upside is similar to that of Keith Primeau, but at worst, he could develop into a Martin Hanzal type shutdown center.

REALISTICALLY, Gauthier is the player I want the JETS to draft. Anyone thinking that Monahan or Lindholm might fall to the JETS need to stop dreaming. Sure, anything is possible, but I seriously DOUBT IT!

I'm still leery about Nichuhskin, but could be sold on him if TNSE was 100% behind that selection.

I don't think Monahan or Lindholm will fall to us, especially not if we just miss the playoffs. It's more of a hope though, a la Couturier falling to 7 and Forsberg and Grigorenko falling to 11 and 12.

A realistic guy at our spot could be Zadorov. Our D would be legitimately scary in 2-3 years if that happened.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
All I know about Zadarov is that he's huge and he can skate so far does anything have anything more specific?

..NHL 13 had him as LD lol is this correct?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think Monahan or Lindholm will fall to us, especially not if we just miss the playoffs. It's more of a hope though, a la Couturier falling to 7 and Forsberg and Grigorenko falling to 11 and 12.

A realistic guy at our spot could be Zadorov. Our D would be legitimately scary in 2-3 years if that happened.

Zadorov will go in the top 10, we may not a chance at him(although I would love him here, the top 4 and Zadorov are in my opinion are the top prospects in this draft, I don't know but it would be really nice to shot at these 5 players).

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Bob Mckenzies analysis, on all the players.

Sorry Craig Buttons analysis.

"Nikita is a physical specimen who combines it with a very good skill set. Strong, powerful stride which he uses to his advantage defensively to move ahead or offensively to jump into the play. He's physical and will assert himself. When he does, he is capable of stopping opponents 'cold in their tracks.' Has a big shot and it can overwhelm goalies. He has really developed his game in London and is looking increasingly comfortable in all facets of his play. He has 'huge' upside and when you assess his overall game, he may be the type of defenseman, teams will 'step up' to select in the draft".

Love to have him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Can never have too many good D men.

Can never have too many top 6 forwards.

Find some more of those!

Even if you end up trading them down the line, find em. I mean look at what Columbus and LA have done with extra D men.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Agree with the Gauthier assessment, I wouldn't mind that pick in the mid first either.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What about Josh Morrissey if the Jets are in the 11-14 draft range? Might not have ideal size, but seems to be a great skater with very good puck skills, and plays with a bit of an edge.

At this range, the Jets will be into the third tier of forwards, it would seem.

Tier 1 - MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov (maybe Nichushkin)
Tier 2 - Nichushkin, Monahan, Lindholm
Tier 3 - Shinkaruk, Erne, Mantha, Wennberg, Domi, etc., etc.

I wonder if there is a specific forward in that third tier that the Jets really love. It seems that the scouting services are all over the map with that group.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
What about Josh Morrissey if the Jets are in the 11-14 draft range? Might not have ideal size, but seems to be a great skater with very good puck skills, and plays with a bit of an edge.

I wonder if there is a specific forward in that third tier that the Jets really love. It seems that the scouting services are all over the map with that group.

I think you're missing someone in Tier 1

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
On this subject NHLN did their mock today, this one is all math here is how it works

The mock draft uses the NHLNumbers Predictive Model and the NHL Numbers Consensus Top 100 List for the picks. The sources for the consensus list are Bob McKenzie, Future Considerations, ISS, Ryan Kennedy, Craig Button, Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus, and The Scouting Report. Their rankings are weight by their accuracy in ranking previous drafts: Bob McKenzie's rankings carry the most weight as he's the most accurate prognosticator in the group.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/14/2013-nhl-mock-draft-nathan-mackinnon-seth-jones

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
On this subject NHLN did their mock today, this one is all math here is how it works

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/14/2013-nhl-mock-draft-nathan-mackinnon-seth-jones

Interesting. Thanks for the link. They've got us picking Rasmus Ristolainen - could definitely do worse than that. He has potential to be ready to go straight out of the gates, as he's played in a mens league for (I think) 2 years now.

Buff, Enstrom, Bogosian, Trouba, Ristolainen & Clitsome/Postma/Redmond/Kulda would make for one nice d-corps.

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Not a big fan of Morrissey. I think he's too overrated, more of a skating offensive defenseman more than a high hockey IQ defenseman and I prefer the high IQ much more. I really worry about his game being able to translate to the pros. I also think he's not as good defensively as others seem to believe. I'd rate him as a bottom 1st to 2nd round player personally.

I'm interested to hear what it is about those other players (especially Ristolainen) that you like. Also interested to hear what you don't like about Pulock. Personally Pulock is behind only Jones on my draft board as far as defensemen are concerned. I have him higher than Zadorov even though I have a massive man-crush on the Russian. I also have a well known distaste for Nurse as I believe he and Morrissey are too overrated in this draft.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
For Foward:

If we are picking in the 11-14 range, I hope we take one of Lazar, Shinkaruk, Wennberg, Horvat. Take Monahan if he is available(which is unlikely).

for Defence

Zadorov or Nurse should be our choices because they are left hand defencemen but if we pick 11-14 range they will be long. Morrissey, Ristolainen, Pulock are hopefull are our targets at that range.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not a big fan of Morrissey. I think he's too overrated, more of a skating offensive defenseman more than a high hockey IQ defenseman and I prefer the high IQ much more. I really worry about his game being able to translate to the pros. I also think he's not as good defensively as others seem to believe. I'd rate him as a bottom 1st to 2nd round player personally.

I'm interested to hear what it is about those other players (especially Ristolainen) that you like. Also interested to hear what you don't like about Pulock. Personally Pulock is behind only Jones on my draft board as far as defensemen are concerned. I have him higher than Zadorov even though I have a massive man-crush on the Russian. I also have a well known distaste for Nurse as I believe he and Morrissey are too overrated in this draft.

I just think Ristolainen's game will translate better to pro than Pulock's game. I think he's a better skater with a great transition game, plays as much or more physical, his offensive game is really good as well and has better size than Pulock. What is Pulock anyways? I've seen him listed at 6'0 and 6'1.

Much like you believe Nurse is overrated, I believe Pulock is. He gets too much hype based on his terrific shot. Can he be Subban like? Possibly. He has the comparable shot. Just don't know if he can be successful playing a physical game against bigger/stronger men. I don't know, I see him being more along the lines of a Trevor Daley type at the NHL level. He needs to improve his defensive zone play from what I've seen.

I could be 100% wrong about him, but from what I've seen, I'm just not a big fan.

Like I said in an earlier post, the player I want the JETS to select in that range is Gauthier. Right now, he's atop my list for the range they'll be picking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad