Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Pens 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Should be Heinola. With 3 days before the next game there is a chance to get him a couple of practices.

Could just be Gus though. Not sure I would waive Toni for Gus. Toni probably clears though. Nearing 30 YO, almost career AHL'er.
If anyone would take Toni over Flowboy....I'd think they were mistaken.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
But how can Heinola get any experience unless you make space for him. Then you are in a situation where you always need to bring in depth from other teams. Dumb question, but, how do other teams resolve it? How do they get their 7th and 8th d playing time?
In most cases with injuries. Our D core has been remarkably healthy for a couple years now. Usually 7 and 8 manage at least 30-40 games as injury replacement players.

Reactions: thereturn

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I agree with your comments about Stanley, but he's only earning $1M and not $5M. (Yeah, embarrassed to point that out but somebody has to be the anal retentive one in the crowd.)

Now, off to a Super Bowl party. Or, as some of us like to call it, one week until Spring Break!
No worries. My reference was to his total earning in his 20s, not his AAV. Probably closer to $4M than 5 at this point, but will exceed that in his next contract, assuming he sticks. Not a bad gig so far, I'm sure you'd agree.

Enjoy the party!

Last edited:
Reactions: Stumbledore

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
In most cases with injuries. Our D core has been remarkably healthy for a couple years now. Usually 7 and 8 manage at least 30-40 games as injury replacement players.
Which has it's own ups and downs. The longer you can have the best line-up possible in the better. On the other hand, it doesn't create room to test and therefore, in order to bring in depth you need to pay for it at the tdl from other teams.

Reactions: GNP and hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Which has it's own ups and downs. The longer you can have the best line-up possible in the better. On the other hand, it doesn't create room to test and therefore, in order to bring in depth you need to pay for it at the tdl from other teams.
Interestingly in a sad way, based on preseason reports Heinola was being penciled into the opening day starting lineup, but his injury opened the door for Schmidt, who otherwise was destined for the #7 spot. The poor kid left the door opened for the #7 to reclaim his job.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I thought the third was fairly even.

The Pens were on a b2b but they're in desperation mode right now.

Pens were desperate but Jets were not?

I thought the 3rd went back and forth a bit. Pens started right where they had left off in the 2nd. But then Jets rallied, and so it went. I thought Jets did a pretty good job hanging on in the last 5 minutes or so.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Gus is slowly rounding into the type of player we were hoping for. A reliable bottom 6 c that can pk and eat minutes without hurting you.

Not sexy but necessary. I wouldn't risk him for a 30 yo tweener (though I do like having toni as insurance)

I still want more offense from Gus, even on the 4th line. Otherwise, Toni can do all of those things - with more scoring. But at 30 YO he is near the end of his tweener NHL'er career. This may already have been his last shot. If not, it will be close.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I still want more offense from Gus, even on the 4th line. Otherwise, Toni can do all of those things - with more scoring. But at 30 YO he is near the end of his tweener NHL'er career. This may already have been his last shot. If not, it will be close.
Gustafsson was on pace to fall short of Toninato's best offensive season by less than 2 points. Toninato has never put up points in this league. Gustafsson is the only center over 50% on the draws apart from Monahan now and is much, much better defensively than Toninato. Gus and Barron were also clicking really, really well when he went down.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Pens were desperate but Jets were not?

I thought the 3rd went back and forth a bit. Pens started right where they had left off in the 2nd. But then Jets rallied, and so it went. I thought Jets did a pretty good job hanging on in the last 5 minutes or so.
You can say you're desperate but when you're in 3rd in your division, leading in points percentage and comfortably in a playoff spot you're not really desperate, are you?

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You can say you're desperate but when you're in 3rd in your division, leading in points percentage and comfortably in a playoff spot you're not really desperate, are you?
I think "desperare for win in that moment" is accurate...

The standings don't impart desperation, but the risk of a prolonged slide with last season fresh in everyone's memory means that the win last night was huge. It wasn't a Picasso by any stretch, but it's something to build off of

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think "desperare for win in that moment" is accurate...

The standings don't impart desperation, but the risk of a prolonged slide with last season fresh in everyone's memory means that the win last night was huge. It wasn't a Picasso by any stretch, but it's something to build off of
Did they look desperate to you? They didn't to me.

You can claim desperation, that doesn't mean you're desperate.

Also I just realized we have to wait til Wednesday for the next game. f*** me.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Did they look desperate to you? They didn't to me.

You can claim desperation, that doesn't mean you're desperate.

Also I just realized we have to wait til Wednesday for the next game. f*** me.
Honestly didn't catch the game, and my post wasn't a comment on how they played (or apeared to have played).... but rather the position they were in going into the game

Sorry for the confusion

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Chevy trying to build up trade value for Stanley at the deadline or the off season?
I can’t see him doing that at this stage. I think his value has been long established. In the mean time we are risking Heinola’s development and testing his confidence.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Snowboy

Oct 12, 2013
The supposition is immense in this post.

Who did we try to trade Stanley to? What were they offering? Please list the several times for reference.

How would you handle Stanley today if you were the GM? Please be specific.
The supposition is management has dithered around with Stanley much too long to the detriment of others, and have created an organizational problem. Make an f--ken decision on him now!........as for your other queries, you will find the answers in various threads on this board.

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
The supposition is management has dithered around with Stanley much too long to the detriment of others, and have created an organizational problem. Make an f--ken decision on him now!........as for your other queries, you will find the answers in various threads on this board.
It seems pretty clear that they made a decision on Stanley a long time ago and are sticking with it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Weak.

So essentially you're saying that you're assertion that Chevy tried to trade him several times has zero basis in fact and further you don't want to tell us what you'd do with him today and how.

Lots of NHL 24 management going on here.

Stanley isn't important enough to be an organizational problem.
Exactly. Let's say Stanley wasn't here all season. How exactly does that change anything with the players we have in our top 6?

Heinola got hurt anyway - I guess it would maybe mean that we would have kept Chiz which is not nothing but it's close.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I can’t see him doing that at this stage. I think his value has been long established. In the mean time we are risking Heinola’s development and testing his confidence.
How do we know that Stanley is blocking this?

The smart play considering villes injury and him being off his skates for so long is him playing everyday, in key situations, and that's only happening on the Moose.

Roster expansion is happening soon and I fully expect Ville to be up, practicing with the team and even getting a couple of games in, having gotten back up to speed in an environment better suited to that.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I only saw the first period before getting too distracted to watch hockey ... Let joy be unconfined.
For an avid hockey fan like yourself, that must have been some distraction. I'm assuming the joy refers to your physiotherapist friend. At the rate these distractions are increasing, shall we assume that the Sharks game on Valentine's Day will also be a miss for you?

Last edited:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We've played less games than both Colorado and Dallas and yet we don't play until Wednesday... :laugh:

Yeah - it's going to be essential to iron out some of the recent kinks so that we can go on a run again in March.

I'm not really as worried as some about final placement - it would be nice to have home ice and avoid one of the juggernauts in the first round though.

As long as we are healthy and in a seeded spot I will be extremely satisfied with this season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah - it's going to be essential to iron out some of the recent kinks so that we can go on a run again in March.

I'm not really as worried as some about final placement - it would be nice to have home ice and avoid one of the juggernauts in the first round though.

As long as we are healthy and in a seeded spot I will be extremely satisfied with this season.
I'm greedy, i want home ice advantage as much as possible but as long as we make it in that's ok too . :laugh:

Reactions: Stumbledore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad