Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 - Hawks 1 Wow

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I might be in the minority here but I think we were the better team the whole way through, and simply not getting the breaks going our way. I still saw the back-checking and the hustle and the sound strategic thinking — pucks were going just an inch too far, or taking a skip, and so forth.

The PP went from bad to worse without Scheifele. I don’t have any answers here but I hope we figure it out soon.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
wow...I'd forgotten just how disastrous that collapse was last year. I feel like this year is different...but it's pretty crazy to realize that we're still only just at the point where things started falling apart last year.
We had very poor underlying metrics and were being bailed out by superhuman goaltending. This year our goaltending is merely very good and our metrics are far better. I’m less concerned about a collapse.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The good: 1st in points 1st in wins 1st in points percentage (by 30 points!)

The bad: injuries to key players. Like f*** off already

The ugly: 23rd pp 26th pk. 93.8% combined score (you need to have at least 100% to have acceptable special teams).

The pk has been much better but the pp simply has to improve. We have to make teams at least think twice about fouling us.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The good: 1st in points 1st in wins 1st in points percentage (by 30 points!)

The bad: injuries to key players. Like f*** off already

The ugly: 23rd pp 26th pk. 93.8% combined score (you need to have at least 100% to have acceptable special teams).

The pk has been much better but the pp simply has to improve. We have to make teams at least think twice about fouling us.

I guess if there might be one silver lining for Mark and KC being out it pretty much forces the coaching staff to come up with something much different on the PP.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
People will say we're just feasting on bottom feeders right now and discount the record. In fact I saw on the main boards pretty much just that, people saying Jets are a mirage because our losses are against Nashville, Dallas (x2), Vegas (x2), NYR, LAK (plus a couple bottom feeder trap games) so therefore we can't beat actual contenders. But that ignores our record against Colorado and Florida who are both legit. Plus, winning is winning ... the teams we are above have also played "bottom feeders" yet their record is worse than ours.

Also @bustamente I'm hoping to see more games being given to LB and not riding Helle into the ground. So far they've been maintaining a 3:1 split ... Helle has played 30 and LB 11 to this point in the season. If that continues to the end of the season Helle will have played 60 games to LB 22 which is very similar to previous seasons ... last year Helle played 64 games, 66 in 2021-2022. So the ratio has improved a bit, but I'd like to see Helle under 60 GP to be more rested. Hopefully he can sit more games near the end of the season with a playoff position secured early.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
People will say we're just feasting on bottom feeders right now and discount the record. In fact I saw on the main boards pretty much just that, people saying Jets are a mirage because our losses are against Nashville, Dallas (x2), Vegas (x2), NYR, LAK (plus a couple bottom feeder trap games) so therefore we can't beat actual contenders. But that ignores our record against Colorado and Florida who are both legit. Plus, winning is winning ... the teams we are above have also played "bottom feeders" yet their record is worse than ours.

Also @bustamente I'm hoping to see more games being given to LB and not riding Helle into the ground. So far they've been maintaining a 3:1 split ... Helle has played 30 and LB 11 to this point in the season. If that continues to the end of the season Helle will have played 60 games to LB 22 which is very similar to previous seasons ... last year Helle played 64 games, 66 in 2021-2022. So the ratio has improved a bit, but I'd like to see Helle under 60 GP to be more rested. Hopefully he can sit more games near the end of the season with a playoff position secured early.
My understanding is that 2:1 is the ideal ratio, which would be 55-27 in an 82 game year. So at least we're getting closer. But I think if we lock up a playoff spot early, which we certainly seem capable of doing, you'll see a lot of LB near the end, which will be good.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
My understanding is that 2:1 is the ideal ratio, which would be 55-27 in an 82 game year. So at least we're getting closer. But I think if we lock up a playoff spot early, which we certainly seem capable of doing, you'll see a lot of LB near the end, which will be good.
That actually scares me a bit, as Helle historically does not play as well off rest. Is like to see Bro get more games in the 'dog days' of the season (Post ASB) and then get him back to playing his standard amount in the last 2 or 3 weeks of the season.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
We had very poor underlying metrics and were being bailed out by superhuman goaltending. This year our goaltending is merely very good and our metrics are far better. I’m less concerned about a collapse.

Yep, I'm less concerned myself. But, even with the poor metrics last year I'd have thought it pretty unlikely we dropped off like we did. I remember thinking at the half last year that all we need to do is play 500 hockey the rest of the way and were good. Nope. lol...

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
wow...I'd forgotten just how disastrous that collapse was last year. I feel like this year is different...but it's pretty crazy to realize that we're still only just at the point where things started falling apart last year.
That collapse has been on my mind all through this fantastic run of games.

Last year 55 fell of a cliff at this time too. Hopefully he is ok and doesn’t repeat last year.

Was at the game. Can confirm 50 something boring minutes with a few ecstatic minutes at the end!

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Another solid start for LB, these nights off for Helle are going to pay dividends as the season goes on, years gone by he got grinded down by over use and this year it's great that we can depend on his back up.
Helly was indeed worn out by the end of the regular season. Giving little Croissant decent minutes will be a big deal, absolutely.

I love the leather Jets jacket... I feel the need to squander some cash if they are for sale. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
BTW, after last night's game Brossoit is now tied with Hellebuyck in save% and has passed him in GAA:

1705075893615.png

I saw a fellow at the game last night wearing a Pavelec jersey. Brought back bad memories.

m.

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Power Rankings starting to look even better.. well except for dailyfaceoff.com

Jan 12

CBS Sports - Jets #1
The Hockey News - Jets #1
The Hockey Writers - Jets #1
TSN - Jets #1
The Hockey Guy - Jets #1
Mike Harrington - Jets #1
ESPN - Jets #1
Sportsnet - Jets #1
NHL Super 16 - Jets #1
The Athletic - Jets #2
Clutchpoints - Jets #2
The Score - Jets #4 (Jan 1 - still waiting for this one. Should be updated on Monday)
Daily Faceoff - Jets #4 (Jan 8) (These guys seem to hate The Jets. They reluctantly placed them on 4th and one of the two guys even placed them in 7th spot on Jan 8).

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What I love about Ehlers GWG is you can hear the crowd start to buzz with anticipation basically as soon as he gets the puck.

They knew he was gonna do something special.

The separation he can get in a step or two is insane, even after watching him do it for years now. Seems impossible, and yet he manages it time after time.

True gamebreakers in any sport are hard to find, and hard to keep.

Props to Josh, Pastry and Lowry -- and to Gabe for hands so quick I had to watch it about 4 times before I could see what he did there. Also 54/ 88 and the ParticipAction Prize to Barron, who seemed to play most of the game on his arse.

Beat the Flyers. Then rest.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Not an ideal or pretty game, but proud how the Jets hung in there, never gave up, fought till the end and scored two very late goals. Many teams would of just gave up and said its not our night & we've won lots lately so give up. Good job to keep fighting

Yep. Reminiscent of Perfetto's painful shot block in the dying seconds of a game they were winning 5-0, to preserve the S/O.

This team cares. A lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad