Post-Game Talk: Jets 2 Coliers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Well here was my original poker metaphor.

Before Chevy made any big $ trade

Imagine you and your ham-and-egger work chums have a Friday night poker game, where everyone buys in like $50 or $100 and you play dime-quarter or quarter-fiftycent antes. Like small stakes, yeah?

And every Friday, month after month, here comes Chevy, but he never plays. He sits, he watches, he deals, sometimes he runs to the Liquor Mart before closing for tips, but he never plays.

And then once, after three SOLID YEARS like this, Chevy sits down to this $100 buy-in game, and he pulls out $10k in hundreds. Buys all the chips, with bricks of 20s and 100s behind

And within 5 minutes, Chevy plays his first heavy pot, and for the first time in his life, he chunks in enough money to cover the table.

And there's Darcy Reghier going "oh, so you WANT to trade Evander Kane, eh?"

Who do you think winds up with the better of that pot? :P
Lou Grant says "Go to press!"

That's the one, you nailed it. I love it!

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Lou Grant says "Go to press!"

That's the one, you nailed it. I love it!

Now if we're going with more poker metaphors and guys named "Lou":

Chevy is the stereotypical rounder. In "Rounders", Chevy was John Torturro's "Knish" character. Played week in week out, did his labor, yet paid all his bills and then some.

Lou Lamoriello, on the other hand, was probably a Stu Ungar. A true ace at any game he played.

Meanwhile, I played under and learned from a dozen men who were like Roger Nielson -- knew the rules, pounded the rules to their advantage, and people hate him for doing it.

Reactions: Dale53130

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Now if we're going with more poker metaphors and guys named "Lou":

Chevy is the stereotypical rounder. In "Rounders", Chevy was John Torturro's "Knish" character. Played week in week out, did his labor, yet paid all his bills and then some.

Lou Lamoriello, on the other hand, was probably a Stu Ungar. A true ace at any game he played.

Meanwhile, I played under and learned from a dozen men who were like Roger Nielson -- knew the rules, pounded the rules to their advantage, and people hate him for doing it.
Who's the GM (or coach) that's always looking for an angle, the Lester Murphy if you will?

It's funny, because the name Lou Lamoriello sounds like he'd be a poker legend from Atlantic City.

Btw, that movie had way too much influence on me for a good 20 years.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Dale53130

Nov 10, 2019
Just to add, I wanted see Mike McD rebuild his bankroll; a 12-part HBO mini series.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Who's the GM (or coach) that's always looking for an angle, the Lester Murphy if you will?

It's funny, because the name Lou Lamoriello sounds like he'd be a poker legend from Atlantic City.

Btw, that movie had way too much influence on me for a good 20 years.

The last good long term relationship before I got back with the wife, when things were getting serious, we made a movie night date. We'd each pick a movie that meant a lot to ourselves, to share.

I picked Rounders, she picked Dogma.

Still to this day don't know why we didn't get married >.<

Reactions: Dale53130
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad