Post-Game Talk: Jets 1 - Sharks 0

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This was an impressive feat back when the line had a nobody called Tanev and two lowly-paid young two-way guys in Copp and Lowry. A line that was paid nothing and had next to no name recognition clowned with first lines on a regular basis - that's good. Now, the trio makes like 9.5 million a year and has a legitimate top 6 winger on it. They're probably supposed to look even better than they do.

The problem with that line isn't that it's bad, but rather that it locks the top 6 in place. Without the option to mix three lines up, there is no flexibility to demote players who can't hack it in top 6 minutes. And if the top 6 stops scoring, we get to the point where we are right now - nobody produces a damn thing.

This is also why I'd be open to trading KC. A lineup this rigid cannot have top 6 forwards who need to be carried by their linemates. Or at least they cannot be as defensively inept as KC is.
A trio making 9.5 that is considered by many as one of the best 3rd's in the game, doesn't sound that expensive to me. If we are to benchmark success (performance / $) in building a third line based on your example (Tanev/Copp/Lowes), we'll all be disappointed based on unrealistic expectations.

I get your argument on locking up the top 6 - but we can't have it both ways. If you want an effective shut down line, you minimize how much you can mess with your top 9. I guess it comes down to whether you want one of the best 3rd's in the business or more flexibility and whether the issues you are going through have anything to do with player placement.

What I don't get is how some (not pointing at anyone specifically) who will praise our game style and dedication to playing disciplined hockey - and then when the scoring dries up, we'll point at the coach and his game style approach as our weakness. Especially when you consider the style of game and how the team was designed, was great a few weeks ago - but now all of a sudden, it isn't. This sets up a perpetual back and forth on systems, coaching, and player value that will continue unless the expectation is that teams will never slump.

Our top 6 are in a funk right now scoring wise - this topic rarely comes up when we are scoring at even an average rate. The line juggling has been going on for awhile - it hasn't had much of an impact and even if the 3rd was part of the rotation, there's no reason (based on what we seen so far) to expect a different result because nobodies scoring and it's not for lack of chances. If anything, some might think that perpetually changing lines only adds to the issue - now you're not only dealing with a bad luck and no bounces, but you need to adjust to new players every week.
Off topic a bit, but I'd rather they just button down the lines and get these guys in sync before we run out of season to get this done.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I guess it comes down to whether you want one of the best 3rd's in the business or more flexibility and whether the issues you are going through have anything to do with player placement.
I want us to assemble the best top 12 possible. I've wanted that for quite some time, as many well know. I don't think we get there by overplaying the Lowry line like we currently do.

Especially when you consider the style of game and how the team was designed, was great a few weeks ago - but now all of a sudden, it isn't.
I'm not saying that this isn't partially about losing Scheifele, but us going in and out of the offensive God mode seemed to coincide near-perfectly with Connor being in and out of the lineup. Strange, considering that this "problem child" is a top 10 goalscorer in the league this year. What can we do to get him to score without dragging down other top players?

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm not saying that this isn't partially about losing Scheifele, but us going in and out of the offensive God mode seemed to coincide near-perfectly with Connor being in and out of the lineup. Strange, considering that this "problem child" is a top 10 goalscorer in the league this year. What can we do to get him to score without dragging down other top players?
I think a lot of this is perceived - as you mention, he scores a lot of goals - it's only when he isn't that the crowd comes down on him. He doesn't have a lot of D in his game so without the goals, he gets hammered. But then again, they all do for various reasons ;)
My concern with KC at this point is that he is not as consistent - that might have something to do with coming off a major injury - maybe he just needs more time.
I know one thing for sure - he's dynamic and for many, a wonder to watch when he's going - but when he's not going, his game is full of holes and he will hear about it.
I try hard not to get to caught up in the moment with this team and the players - I think a lot of it is simply slump related and it happens to them all. I used to love tearing down this team every time they slipped - and then eat crow when they got it back together - it's a vicious cycle but we need something to talk about :laugh:

Reactions: thereturn

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think a lot of this is perceived - as you mention, he scores a lot of goals - it's only when he isn't that the crowd comes down on him. He doesn't have a lot of D in his game so without the goals, he gets hammered. But then again, they all do for various reasons ;)
My concern with KC at this point is that he is not as consistent - that might have something to do with coming off a major injury - maybe he just needs more time.
I know one thing for sure - he's dynamic and for many, a wonder to watch when he's going - but when he's not going, his game is full of holes and he will hear about it.
I try hard not to get to caught up in the moment with this team and the players - I think a lot of it is simply slump related and it happens to them all. I used to love tearing down this team every time they slipped - and then eat crow when they got it back together - it's a vicious cycle but we need something to talk about :laugh:

KC is interesting in that despite his elite scoring he gives up almost as much 5 on 5. He's dead last among regulars on the team in terms of 5 on 5 goal differential this year and has been among the worst each if the last number of years.

I think a case can be made that he ahold be sheltered more then he is to get more out of him.

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
KC is interesting in that despite his elite scoring he gives up almost as much 5 on 5. He's dead last among regulars on the team in terms of 5 on 5 goal differential this year and has been among the worst each if the last number of years.

I think a case can be made that he ahold be sheltered more then he is to get more out of him.
I agree - he needs to be playing with players that can drive play / offense in order to limit the line's defending.
His job is to score - but he needs help in getting into the areas where he is deadly.
You put him out there with players that cannot gain the zone or make plays, KC's numbers will suck.
Probably why 55 likes to play with him - he knows what he's good at and helps him get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00