Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why would he? MSL made his mind up long ago on him. Much like Houle with Mysak.

Ylonen is soft and afraid of contact, it is super frustrating to watch. These narratives about the coach having a personal agenda against a player are almost always nonsense and in MSL's case you can remove the "almost".

The Mysak scenario is total fan b.s. as well. He is not an offensive player and was being given the correct play style advice. Mysak has a good shot and can bang in rebounds but when he tried to be too fancy with the puck he was sabotaging his career. Houle was giving him the same message that would and likely did come from upper management and very likely MSL as well. Houle's comments were predictably misinterpreted by posters as all he was doing was steering Mysak into a play style that was more likely to not only get him into the NHL but to also lead to improved offensive output.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Does RFA Jesse Ylonen get a QA this summer? At best, I think he should get a QA and get waived to play in the AHL for next season. Really disappointed by his this season. RHP too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Now that everyone who needed a contract is signed, hopefully HuGo can now focus on unloading some dead weight prior to the season.

In order to make room for guys like Ylonen, RHP, Heineman, and Farrell among others to battle for spots. Even if some end up in Laval, at least they will have a chance to make the team and not be forced down due to dead weight.

Xhekaj and Barron both need contracts.

The Ylonen contract is decent. He gives us some depth at forward. If he can't make the team, we'll see if he clears waivers. If he can't, it's not a big deal. If he does clear, we have a legit scoring forward for Laval.

Reactions: montreal

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Does RFA Jesse Ylonen get a QA this summer? At best, I think he should get a QA and get waived to play in the AHL for next season. Really disappointed by his this season. RHP too.
At what point do you start scouting younger stronger players who can bring a physical presence and aren't afraid to mix it up.
His production will be very easy to replace and he's obviously not suited for a 4th line role and nor is he able to crack our top 9.
He isn't the only one.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
At what point do you start scouting younger stronger players who can bring a physical presence and aren't afraid to mix it up.
His production will be very easy to replace and he's obviously not suited for a 4th line role and nor is he able to crack our top 9.
He isn't the only one.
Yeah players like Ylonen aren’t hard to find as much as I like the guy. His style doesn’t fit when it comes to a 4th liner. The team needs a good vet on wing that can bring more energy and sandpaper. We have such an easy bottom 6 to play against even when fully healthy. Leadership and grip on the 4th please

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Xhekaj and Barron both need contracts.

The Ylonen contract is decent. He gives us some depth at forward. If he can't make the team, we'll see if he clears waivers. If he can't, it's not a big deal. If he does clear, we have a legit scoring forward for Laval.
This was thread bumped from July to ask if the Habs are going to qualify Ylonen

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We'll lose Pearson and White this offseason. So there's a chance he gets a contract if we can't find a replacement. But yeah not a great season.
I mean, he's already the replacement...

Reactions: Habs13

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
We'll lose Pearson and White this offseason. So there's a chance he gets a contract if we can't find a replacement. But yeah not a great season.
They don't need a replacement for Pearson/White, Habs have 13 forwards signed for next season without Ylonen (this 13 count Roy making the team at the start of the next season) and they will only be able to carry 13 forwards since they are going to have 8 Ds up. That is all before some hypothetical off-season trade, but so far, Hughes tend to bring in cap dump so they don't open roster spot.

And if a forwards gets injured long term again, just pick some waiver fodder to replace them.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Ylonen is f***ing useless. Most everyone in the bottom 6 is completely expendable and I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the deadweight gone in the offseason.

This team has zero depth and they’ll have to address is moving forward. If Gally and Anderson can become somewhat useful as bottom 6 players long enough to trade or buy them out, it’ll be a blessing. Bottom 6 needs a total revamp.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Who is more useless based on this season? Ylonen, White, Pearson or RHP? Tough call from this garbage heap Kent seems to enjoy.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Who is more useless based on this season? Ylonen, White, Pearson or RHP? Tough call from this garbage heap Kent seems to enjoy.
Well at least Ylonen and RHP showed something last year and they’re young enough.. not keeping my hopes up but I think they’re the ones with the highest chance of being useful next year.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Ylonen is f***ing useless. Most everyone in the bottom 6 is completely expendable and I look forward to seeing him and the rest of the deadweight gone in the offseason.

This team has zero depth and they’ll have to address is moving forward. If Gally and Anderson can become somewhat useful as bottom 6 players long enough to trade or buy them out, it’ll be a blessing. Bottom 6 needs a total revamp.
a very unexciting group of players.

Let Gally sit in a bathtub of red wine for a few months, and send Anderson to the jungle to work with a shaman.. Hopefully the others can all be replaced sooner than later.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Well at least Ylonen and RHP showed something last year and they’re young enough.. not keeping my hopes up but I think they’re the ones with the highest chance of being useful next year.
RHP looks done, his miracle season was a blip in the Matrix.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think that's unnecessarily harsh to Hughes.

RHP had 20 points in 32 games last year and looked like he was tracking upwards. Injuries this year have really hampered him.

Pearson was part of getting rid of DeSmith. The hope was he could be flipped at the deadline for an asset, but it's clear he's cooked. It's an expiring contract.

White was a waiver pick up because, as bad as he is, he's better than Gignac. He's not a long term plan.

Ylonen showed himself to be an NHL body, but that was in part because he got more minutes in a thinner lineup. A one year two-way deal is a show me deal. Not a commitment. Ylonen has shown that he's not capable of filling a bottom six role.

What they all have in common is they're stop gap players. Not guys an organization hitches their wagon to. And Hughes hasn't hitched his wagon to any of them.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad