Player Discussion Jesse Ylonen #56

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
103 games under his belt in the NHL and only 28 pts for Ylonen.
No real signs of improvement since his first shift ever in the league.
I’m calling it, this guy is an AHL lifer.
Time to send him down.
Your not going to see him produce on a 4th line.

I've seen progress. But I've also seen areas he needs to improve. He's much more assertive and bulked up. But he needs to work on not turning the puck over if he's not going to produce a ton and be bottom six.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Ylonen is no Lehkonen for sure....
He's no a lot of things.
Marty doesn't like him and watching his non existent board play and traffic management it's easy to see why.
They could have waived him out of camp and my heart rate would have remained stable.
My criticism of the player from the previous season was on point lots of movement creating no events.
So the Lehk comparison is spot on.

Reactions: rickthegoon

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As smart as MSL seems to be with how he handles players I am perplexed at how he has handled Ylonen.

I'm not because he got his opportunities last year when he played well and he has not played well at all this year, so your opportunities dry up. Even with all the injuries whenever he plays he just doesn't make an impact.

I liked the pick, like the player, but if you don't show something, potential doesn't matter.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not because he got his opportunities last year when he played well and he has not played well at all this year, so your opportunities dry up. Even with all the injuries whenever he plays he just doesn't make an impact.

I liked the pick, like the player, but if you don't show something, potential doesn't matter.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 4th line next year of Gally/RHP - Evans - Ylonen. Those trios have done well.

Reactions: tnq

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I mentioned last year, maybe even earlier than that, Ylonen is very inconsistent. He’ll get you out of your seat once every 5 games. The rest of the time, you don’t hear his name. People blaming MSL clearly didn’t follow Laval. It was the exact same there. Except in that case, he simply got more ice time and still did very little with it. He’s not an nhler unfortunately.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I wonder if Ylonen even gets a qualifying offer, if I'm Hughes I'm trying to flip him for an equivalent guy on some other team, and if that doesn't work, I wonder if that roster spot wouldn't be better used on a UFA, college signing, etc.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I wonder if Ylonen even gets a qualifying offer, if I'm Hughes I'm trying to flip him for an equivalent guy on some other team, and if that doesn't work, I wonder if that roster spot wouldn't be better used on a UFA, college signing, etc.

They'll qualify him, he's NHL depth.. there might be a Mysak deal out there to explore, but I'm sure they'll be more willing to expose him to waivers next year.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

I usually agree with you, but not here. He's never got a chance this season. He's had one game where he had 15 minutes. Even when he was getting a little hot, his minutes didn't increase.

He's MSL's Mysak.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm ready to turn on the page on this guy. Has he had a lot of rope? Nope. But dude doesn't utilize his tools at all. Disappointing because I liked him last year. Rem Pitlick 2.0 (hell a tad worse).

I usually agree with you, but not here. He's never got a chance this season. He's had one game where he had 15 minutes. Even when he was getting a little hot, his minutes didn't increase.

He's MSL's Mysak.
He rarely shows anything with his minutes and he should with his skating.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Unfortunately
The unbelivably bad Anderson, Gallagher and Armia contracts sealed his fate.

Bergevins perpetual lack of prospect foresight means this kid NEVER had a chance

This isn't a 'oh MSL and HuGo are ruining this guy!'
No, they are doing the best they can with an obvious problem that can't be easily resolved as 3 of 4 NHL RW spots are sadly taken by deadwood Vets and the other spot is Slaf/Caufield

Guy just never had a chance 'here'

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
He kind of reminds me of a very light version of Lars Eller; great speed, good size , zero hockey IQ ( in French we have an expression for these guys, we call it patiner avec la tête dans le jackstrap ) but Eller at least has a bit of an edge in his commitment to physical play along the boards.
Ylönen has always treated the puck on his stick like a grenade….he gets rid of it like it was about to blow up regardless of time and space he has available.
If you don’t show any smarts, or put any of your skills to good use, you don’t get to play top 6 minutes, simple as that.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Unfortunately

Bergevins perpetual lack of prospect foresight means this kid NEVER had a chance

No, they are doing the best they can with an obvious problem that can't be easily resolved as 3 of 4 NHL RW spots are sadly taken by deadwood Vets and the other spot is Slaf/Caufield

Don't buy this at all, nothing says you have to play Armia over Ylonen, in fact they even put Armia on waivers and sent him down. So it's definitely on Ylonen/MSL, for whatever reason MSL doesn't trust Ylonen with a bigger role and that's why the deadwood players play above him, he trusts them more and it has nothing to do with being a vet or not.

I have no actual insight into why MSL doesn't like Ylonen, but I'd wager it has to do with a lack of drive to become a better player. Even the deadwood guys like Anderson you can see they are trying to implement what MSL is teaching, they are trying to be better, with Ylonen I'm not sure I see that. If Ylonen is complacent with his role then I can see why that would get on the wrong side of MSL.

That said I kind of do like Ylonen, so hopefully he finds another team that is a better fit.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He's MSL's Mysak.

It isn't comparable to the Mysak situation given Houle basically wrote Mysak off before seeing him play while MSL at least gave Ylonen opportunities when he came up last year.

Last year Ylonen was given minutes and for the most part he played well. I was excited for him this year given he was 24 and I expected him to have a good year given it was basically a make or break season for him. Instead of making a good impression in training camp and pre-season he was invisible, despite that, they still gave him a chance and kept him on the roster as he would've had to clear waivers.

It isn't just Ylonen who this has happened to, RHP also looked good last year and has been a ghost most of this year. Not surprisingly both RHP and Ylonen have had their minutes reduced as the season has gone on.

RHP at least shows a desire to play gritty which could allow him to be a bottom six guy, unlike Ylonen who shies away from physical play.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
He kind of reminds me of a very light version of Lars Eller; great speed, good size , zero hockey IQ ( in French we have an expression for these guys, we call it patiner avec la tête dans le jackstrap ) but Eller at least has a bit of an edge in his commitment to physical play along the boards.
Ylönen has always treated the puck on his stick like a grenade….he gets rid of it like it was about to blow up regardless of time and space he has available.
If you don’t show any smarts, or put any of your skills to good use, you don’t get to play top 6 minutes, simple as that.
He reminds me more Jiri Sekac

He have skills but he just doesn’t use it well and he’s not committed in the other area that can make him useful

Reactions: Le Barron de HF

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He reminds me more Jiri Sekac

He have skills but he just doesn’t use it well and he’s not committed in the other area that can make him useful

I still don't believe in playing Pearson over RHP and Ylonen. Pearson will be gone at the end of the year. Ylonen may or may not have a future here. Why play Pearson? How does it help the future. This season is over. We're not making the playoffs.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
50 NHL contract limit, is it wise to use on a player like this?

I think so while we continue to rebuild, I don't really see any other hard decisions to make unless you think Guindon is a hard decision to make and I don't think he's grown enough this year to warrant more than an AHL contract.

He's MSL's Mysak.

Guess we'll just disagree, I look for him when he's out there as I want to see him succeed but there really hasn't been anything to warrant him playing more than he has. Pezzetta is another one who last year deserved to get some minutes and this year hasn't.

Reactions: Tyson

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Unfortunately

If you can't show more than Gallagher at this point, you're not a legit NHLer.

Reactions: Ezpz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Unfortunately

I love Hughes. And I know he wanted to trade Hughes before this year. But in this isolated case, setting a price and not going lower didn't work out. But, maybe this hardline bargainning strategy will work out for us overall. I would say I think it has, as we see with the Jake Allen, Brett Kulak, Petry for Hoffman, etc... trades. Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad