Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi 2022-2023 Season (MOD note in OP)

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
They mean more to you when he’s rated positively and mean nothing when he’s not.
Got it
Nope... They are a solid argument against people like you, who hate player so much they can't give any credit even when the credit is due.

But I am quite certain that as a matter of fact you acknowledge that even though Pulju has had a miserable season, he's played well the last couple of games. Just trying to get under my skin. Good luck with that.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nope... They are a solid argument against people like you, who hate player so much they can't give any credit even when the credit is due.

But I am quite certain that as a matter of fact you acknowledge that even though Pulju has had a miserable season, he's played well the last couple of games. Just trying to get under my skin. Good luck with that.

If he can keep hitting like that but cut down on brainfarts like the icing that would be good. But I don't think there's any fixing his hands at net front. Just doesn't have it. Feel bad for him, but even Magnus Paajarvi I think had better hands/finish than Jesse and where's Magnus Paajarvi these days.

Reactions: MessierII

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
If he can keep hitting like that but cut down on brainfarts like the icing that would be good. But I don't think there's any fixing his hands at net front. Just doesn't have it. Feel bad for him, but even Magnus Paajarvi I think had better hands/finish than Jesse and where's Magnus Paajarvi these days.
Jesse is not great at finishing his chances, there's no argument about that. But 20-21 his shooting percentage was 13, and 21-22 it was 8.8. This season 5.6. It is reasonable to believe he can break out of this giant scoring slump. (league average is something like 9,5%, I believe)

I remember Jesse scoring a lot from breakaways the previous seasons, don't remember any breakaways this season. Probably his role has changed a bit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Jesse is not great at finishing his chances, there's no argument about that. But 20-21 his shooting percentage was 13, and 21-22 it was 8.8. This season 5.6. It is reasonable to believe he can break out of this giant scoring slump. (league average is something like 9,5%, I believe)

It's kind of a self perpetuating cycle though ... to break out of the slump you need either some lucky breaks or you need to (well) finish, but you can't finish because you don't have hands ... and then when your confidence goes south, you tend not to get luck either.

Rough situation for him.

Reactions: Macheteops

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
It's kind of a self perpetuating cycle though ... to break out of the slump you need either some lucky breaks or you need to (well) finish, but you can't finish because you don't have hands ... and then when your confidence goes south, you tend not to get luck either.

Rough situation for him.
Nuge's shooting percentage last season was 7.1%, this season 19.1%. People often under estimate variance.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nuge's shooting percentage last season was 7.1%, this season 19.1%. People often under estimate variance.

I mean for his career Jesse is at 8.7 percent, so he's lower than that this year, but probably was inflated two years ago.

It's hard to be a top 6 forward at even 8.7 percent I think, but under 6 percent is like dire for a forward unless you're supposed to be like strictly a grinder or enforcer or something.

Even Yamamoto, at 10 percent this year and much higher for his career overall is a pretty stark difference.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The problem with blowing AAA scoring chances is you can see it deflate the team. Team came out strong last night, but Korpisalo's confidence went sky high once Jesse (predictably) and Holloway couldn't raise the puck on two glorious point blank chances and you could see the team also went "ruh roh, this is not going to be easy" and they sagged.

You got to cash some of those once in a while, I mean fine, great the effort is nice, but when you keep coming back to the bench with no results eventually it takes a toll on the team too. Like c'mon dude, score a damn goal already.
I think you can boil it down to something even more simple than that.

On the rare night where your best players are having an off night like McDrai were against Columbus, Puljujarvi is incapable of making a difference.

Reactions: frag2

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Even Yamamoto, at 10 percent this year and much higher for his career overall is a pretty stark difference.
Yamamoto is 14,5% for his career, and Jesse at 8.7% Yamamoto is superior in this regard, there is no question about that, but he has other issues, which explain why Yamamoto only has 44 goals while Jesse has 50.

But the bottom line is that being below average at finishing his changes won't prevent Jesse from being an effective bottom nine player if he keeps up the physical play he has demonstrated the last couple of games.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

What solid argument? The only argument you present is woe is JP, he’s a good player, see!! He has one good game (which me and others have said)

I don’t think anyone is actively trying to get under your skin. The only reason you think that is because criticism of JP upsets you. It seems the only thing you look for is praise for the guy and anytime someone comes up with anything criticizing him, you get all worked up.

I mean ffs you had 3 accounts here for one purpose :huh:

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
What solid argument? The only argument you present is woe is JP, he’s a good player, see!! He has one good game (which me and others have said)

I don’t think anyone is actively trying to get under your skin. The only reason you think that is because criticism of JP upsets you. It seems the only thing you look for is praise for the guy and anytime someone comes up with anything criticizing him, you get all worked up.

I mean ffs you had 3 accounts here for one purpose :huh:
Two. Stick with the truth.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yamamoto is 14,5% for his career, and Jesse at 8.7% Yamamoto is superior in this regard, there is no question about that, but he has other issues, which explain why Yamamoto only has 44 goals while Jesse has 50.

But the bottom line is that being below average at finishing his changes won't prevent Jesse from being an effective bottom nine player if he keeps up the physical play he has demonstrated the last couple of games.

I mean 8.7% shooting percentage is ... lets be honest, bottom 6, saying bottom 9 is being generous.

You're very much in the "can't finish shit" category at a shooting percentage that low, now a player like RNH can get away with that from time to time because he is a pretty good passer especially on the PP. Foegele is another culprit, he's shooting about 8.5 percent his two seasons in Edmonton, incredibly poor.

As has been said many times if you could some how combine Yamamoto and Puljujarvi into one body you might have a pretty good NHL player, lol.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I mean 8.7% shooting percentage is ... lets be honest, bottom 6, saying bottom 9 is being generous.

You're very much in the "can't finish shit" category at a shooting percentage that low, now a player like RNH can get away with that from time to time because he is a pretty good passer especially on the PP. Foegele is another culprit, he's shooting about 8.5 percent his two seasons in Edmonton, incredibly poor.

As has been said many times if you could some how combine Yamamoto and Puljujarvi into one body you might have a pretty good NHL player, lol.

You’d have a poor man Hyman

Reactions: Duke74

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
Why would Jarmo Kekäläinen want him now when he didn't want him in 2016? He's never rated Pulju and didn't think he will become an NHL star.

Because in 2016 it would of been at the cost of a 3rd overall section. Now it's pretty much a freebie for a short trial period. Pretty low risk

Reactions: JohnJim

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
The story with Jesse:

Tippett: Jesse, play on the third line and create chances
Jesse: okay.

Result- third line wins GF% and SCF and limits shots against

Tippett: Jesse, play with McDavid. Turn pucks over for him, create space for him, get him the puck cover in the defensive zone for him.

Jesse: okay

Result. Jesse leads the the team in HDCF, McDavid’s scoring goes up (because Jesse can buy him 2 extra feet of space, Jesse turns the puck over for McDavid to pounce on, covers for him the defensive zone, makes sure McDavid has the puck on his stick more. Scores at the same pace Hyman is at 5 on 5

Woodcroft: Jesse, we need you to be physical and hit.

Jesse: okay

Result- leads the team in hits.

Edmonton fans: trade the bum

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Why would Jarmo Kekäläinen want him now when he didn't want him in 2016? He's never rated Pulju and didn't think he will become an NHL star.
This is such a tired narrative, with zero to back it up. You have zero idea what Kekko thought of him, other than he liked Dubois better.

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
I hope for two things to happen soon…

Not to have to watch JP in an Oiler jersey

And…

For JP to have a decent career somewhere else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad