Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi 2022-2023 Season (MOD note in OP)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Come for the Puljujarvi discussion stay for the inevitable Nugent Hopkins bleating.

Puljujarvi had a solid initial game. Engaged, stopping on pucks in the blue paint area and utilizing his big frame to hit Canuckles. All very good elements. Unfortunately game 2 against 'The Rival' he was among a collective no-show really beyond Skinner who kept the game close. Mentioned by others I like that E. Kane is nudging the Oiler players like McLeod and Puljujarvi to gain comfort with physical contact through his practice play wrasslin'. Working to get both players comfortable to play and assert themselves within the guts of the game and hard areas of the ice can really help their game but most importantly the team.

Unlocking Puljujarvi's consistency is the Cadbury Caramilk Secret to be unlocked. More game 1's and less game 2's please!
Pulju had some good looks in game 2 as well. Was bringing the forecheck when it was there. The dump ins were awful in game 2. They were easy exits for the Flames. did you not see Pulju come out of the corner with the puck and walk a D on way to the net? unfortunately he tried to go wide instead of just jamming it at goal. He was over estimating his fine motor skills. heh But at least he was showing creativity and in both games he's had the jam to go to the net with and without puck.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Pulju had some good looks in game 2 as well. Was bringing the forecheck when it was there. The dump ins were awful in game 2. They were easy exits for the Flames. did you not see Pulju come out of the corner with the puck and walk a D on way to the net? unfortunately he tried to go wide instead of just jamming it at goal. He was over estimating his fine motor skills. heh But at least he was showing creativity and in both games he's had the jam to go to the net with and without puck.
Direct lines to the net. Did it in game 1. It's the consistency that's required. Felt that he and all of the Oilers needed a heavier, assertive game against the Cowtowners. Re-stating that no-one outside of Skinner did enough to win that game, a game both teams had to have ear marked as a statement opportunity following playoff encounter of the first kind and different off-seasons leading both franchises into this season of expectations.

Cut the stick Pulji and change the lie. We need this player to puzzle out the glory end of the ice to start fully realizing the sum of great potential parts. As well with continuing to work on consistently assertive play putting that big body into the hard areas on ice.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Direct lines to the net. Did it in game 1. It's the consistency that's required. Felt that he and all of the Oilers needed a heavier, assertive game against the Cowtowners. Re-stating that no-one outside of Skinner did enough to win that game, a game both teams had to have ear marked as a statement opportunity following playoff encounter of the first kind and different off-seasons leading both franchises into this season of expectations.

Cut the stick Pulji and change the lie. We need this player to puzzle out the glory end of the ice to start fully realizing the sum of great potential parts. As well with continuing to work on consistently assertive play putting that big body into the hard areas on ice.
Its Leons fault. He refuses to give Pulju a paddle. "they're mine, all mine" lol Leon on HNIC after hours saying he won't ever be giving up his stick when somebody wants one. He's got a limited supply, and he likes them just the way they are. Wouldn't surprise me he does his own work on the sticks.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Its Leons fault. He refuses to give Pulju a paddle. "they're mine, all mine" lol Leon on HNIC after hours saying he won't ever be giving up his stick when somebody wants one. He's got a limited supply, and he likes them just the way they are. Wouldn't surprise me he does his own work on the sticks.
Leon shouldn't give up the paddle. It's coveted intellectual property (and frankly such that can only be wielded by this super elite). Said on After Hours his paddle was inspired by his Dad's stick and also Datsyuk.

Said before I think Puljujarvi would really benefit with a skills coach to refine the fine motor skill elements of his game. This would also include an assessment of the stick length and lie.

Reactions: Aerchon

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
#13 Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. A solid night’s work with 6 shot attempts, 3 hits, and a bunch of won battles. The best of his 3 Grade A shot contributions was a beautiful chip pass that sent Hyman in alone.

#56 Kailer Yamamoto, 4. Quiet night offensively with just 1 shot. 2 contributions to Grade A shots, but part of the problem on 3 the other way, including the game winner when he joined the 4-on-3 rush but appeared surprised by Draisaitl’s pass and was unable to handle it.

We all know a winger has got to go because of cap reasons. We all know Yamamoto is 1-2 concussions away from his value dropping to less than zero. (and already suffered one during the pre-season) The writing is on the wall.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
#13 Jesse Puljujarvi, 6. A solid night’s work with 6 shot attempts, 3 hits, and a bunch of won battles. The best of his 3 Grade A shot contributions was a beautiful chip pass that sent Hyman in alone.

#56 Kailer Yamamoto, 4. Quiet night offensively with just 1 shot. 2 contributions to Grade A shots, but part of the problem on 3 the other way, including the game winner when he joined the 4-on-3 rush but appeared surprised by Draisaitl’s pass and was unable to handle it.

We all know a winger has got to go because of cap reasons. We all know Yamamoto is 1-2 concussions away from his value dropping to zero. (and already suffered one during the pre-season) The writing is on the wall.
While I've tried to tame your posting style a couple of times I think these are reasonable points.

A) I agree one of Foegele, JP or Yamamoto will likely need to go for cap reasons. Could also be Barrie, but I don't think that'll solve the problem as they'd need to invest in defense anyway.

B) If it comes down to a choice between Yamamoto and Puljujarvi it's not clear it'll definitely be Puljujarvi they're letting go. But it really depends on so many unknown factors (interest from other teams, the way the players and the team feels, packages in which those players could be involved, health issues as you also mentioned etc.).

Reactions: brentashton

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
B) If it comes down to a choice between Yamamoto and Puljujarvi it's not clear it'll definitely be Puljujarvi they're letting go. But it really depends on so many unknown factors (interest from other teams, the way the players and the team feels, packages in which those players could be involved, health issues as you also mentioned etc.).
It will come down to a choice between Yamamoto and Puljujärvi, because Foegele's salary is practically unmovable. I have been saying for months that Yamamoto will end up being the odd winger out because of his small size and concussion issues. Pulju is a more reliable asset to keep, and still has some upside.

Last edited:

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It will come down to a choice between Yamamoto and Puljujärvi, because Foegele's salary is practically unmovable. I have been saying for months that Yamamoto will end up being the odd winger out because of his small size and concussion issues. Pulju is a more reliable asset to keep, and still has some upside.
I see this the same way, but understand some others don't and there's other things that play a part in this. But the concussion part is true but unfotunately it probably makes it harder to move Yamamoto. Not impossible though. I agree it's hard to move Foegele, but that can be done. The question is are the Oilers willing to pay the price that may be required.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Ship both of their asses out if they don’t start producing actual goals and soon. Sick of game after game of both of these guys getting prime minutes and having nothing to show for it.

I’d rather have dumped both of these guys and have Domi and Dylan Strome for the same money, one of those two if not both would have provided an actual freaking goal by now.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
While I've tried to tame your posting style a couple of times I think these are reasonable points.

A) I agree one of Foegele, JP or Yamamoto will likely need to go for cap reasons. Could also be Barrie, but I don't think that'll solve the problem as they'd need to invest in defense anyway.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of Pulju at all. I don't even like the way he looks! I thought he was fairly decent last game though. I do think a lot of his issues offensively are confidence related. He was better than Yams last game I believe but if one has to go it's going to be the guy that requested a trade and also rumored McDrai prefer Yamamoto but that might just be a rumor

I know Holloway has had a rough start to his NHL career but he's going to be able to replace one of these guys very soon I think

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
JP had some slick passes last game. I would rag on him for his lack of finish but that seems to be everyone lately.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of Pulju at all. I don't even like the way he looks! I thought he was fairly decent last game though. I do think a lot of his issues offensively are confidence related. He was better than Yams last game I believe but if one has to go it's going to be the guy that requested a trade and also rumored McDrai prefer Yamamoto but that might just be a rumor

I know Holloway has had a rough start to his NHL career but he's going to be able to replace one of these guys very soon I think
Could be, but I think the trade request years ago would be the wrong reason. Before that the Oilers were rumoured to be shopping him, so I think the feeling of parting ways was quite mutual even if things weren't handled too well from Pulju's side.
I think getting some cap space means a lot right now and whoever gets the best return (and doesn't require assets) may be traded. I think currently that is JP.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I have been hearing JP gets good looks for 100 years.

Start cashing in or it means shit.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and Foegele ... the poster children for having bad luck ... for almost 40 consecutive NHL games now. It's all just bad luck.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I have been hearing JP gets good looks for 100 years.

Start cashing in or it means shit.
He did at the start of last year and in the previous one. I also expect more in the finishing side, but as he doesn't really play on the PP 15+ goals wouldn't be too bad. So that means a goal in every 5th game or so. I hope he scores the first goal soon enough so we'll see if than opens the gates a bit. Having said that I understand if the team trades him as he almost certainly brings the best return out of the players that may be traded even if that isn't very high either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He did at the start of last year and in the previous one. I also expect more in the finishing side, but as he doesn't really play on the PP 15+ goals wouldn't be too bad. So that means a goal in every 5th game or so. I hope he scores the first goal soon enough so we'll see if than opens the gates a bit. Having said that I understand if the team trades him as he almost certainly brings the best return out of the players that may be traded even if that isn't very high either.

15 goals for 3 million isn't good enough.

Virtanen is mediocre and I think Virtanen could probably pot 12-15+ too if you just kept throwing him into our top 6 with the players we have there and that would cost 750k, not 3 million.

Reactions: Biltmore

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
15 goals for 3 million isn't good enough.

Virtanen is mediocre and I think Virtanen could probably pot 12-15+ too if you just kept throwing him into our top 6 with the players we have there and that would cost 750k, not 3 million.
Maybe. But Hyman is the only player who has scored at least 20 ES goals (apart from McDrai) during the last years and he makes almost twice as much. But if they can find someone cheap who can do that it's just great. There's been so many disappointments in the last years so you never know.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

We all know a winger has got to go because of cap reasons. We all know Yamamoto is 1-2 concussions away from his value dropping to less than zero. (and already suffered one during the pre-season) The writing is on the wall.
No it’s not. Jesse sucks just as much. Stop fooling yourself.

JP had some slick passes last game. I would rag on him for his lack of finish but that seems to be everyone lately.
Please rag on his terrible slap shot off the wing. I have no clue what he thinks when he does it. Atleast hit the NET. No hockey IQ

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Please rag on his terrible slap shot off the wing. I have no clue what he thinks when he does it. Atleast hit the NET. No hockey IQ
Pulju has 5 shots on goal, Yamamoto 2. Yamamoto is probably a bit more hesitant to go into danger areas after his latest head injury.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I’d love to see JP using his big frame to drive pucks to the net, he’d be a handfull for opposition D and would create the sort of havoc and chaos that advanced hockey talents like 97/29 thrive on.

Instead D know they can easily force him wide and so he takes long range shots which either miss the net completely or are easily saved and frozen by the goalie. Both kill the offensive play dead like Raid on an ant.

I’d like to see him plaster his opponents in offensive corners and dig pucks out like his much smaller teammate Yamo but instead he turns away and sweep checks usually resulting in an easy zone clear. Again it kills the offensive play dead.

What’s frustrating for me is he has all the physical tools but his confidence is so fragile, his hockey IQ is just not top 6 level yet he thinks he has a God given right to play top 6 and if not demands a trade every off season.

Unfortunately we have a stubborn GM who won’t dump him for desperately needed cap space (nor trade a failing top pick like Broberg for experienced NHL help now but that’s another thread for another day).

Just my observations and opinions which I realize are not shared by others. I wish he’d succeed and he seems like a genuine good guy, but maybe a new organization would be a better fit. I do think we royally bungled his development (thanks Chiarelli…)

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I’d love to see JP using his big frame to drive pucks to the net, he’d be a handfull for opposition D and would create the sort of havoc and chaos that advanced hockey talents like 97/29 thrive on.

Instead D know they can easily force him wide and so he takes long range shots which either miss the net completely or are easily saved and frozen by the goalie. Both kill the offensive play dead like Raid on an ant.

I’d like to see him plaster his opponents in offensive corners and dig pucks out like his much smaller teammate Yamo but instead he turns away and sweep checks usually resulting in an easy zone clear. Again it kills the offensive play dead.

What’s frustrating for me is he has all the physical tools but his confidence is so fragile, his hockey IQ is just not top 6 level yet he thinks he has a God given right to play top 6 and if not demands a trade every off season.

Unfortunately we have a stubborn GM who won’t dump him for desperately needed cap space (nor trade a failing top pick like Broberg for experienced NHL help now but that’s another thread for another day).

Just my observations and opinions which I realize are not shared by others. I wish he’d succeed and he seems like a genuine good guy, but maybe a new organization would be a better fit. I do think we royally bungled his development (thanks Chiarelli…)

Pretty much what McD said he needs to do to be successful

Consistently forecheck
Retrieve pucks for his line mates
Go to the net

But he’s too damn inconsistent and resorts to his own comfort plays. If he does just one of them consistently, it’d help

Reactions: AM and 5 Mins 4 Ftg

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Ship both of their asses out if they don’t start producing actual goals and soon. Sick of game after game of both of these guys getting prime minutes and having nothing to show for it.

I’d rather have dumped both of these guys and have Domi and Dylan Strome for the same money, one of those two if not both would have provided an actual freaking goal by now.
I think both are having expectation issues. More is expected when they have shown you the money. Can’t say anything about Yamamoto, coming back from injury. Puljujarvi has shown some better physical play. He needs to continue to get comfortable and get his legs moving so he can benefit from it. So yes, some better signs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I'm seeing the physical elements from the player and he's going to the paint and so far this season has been geting scoring chances and creating short passes to send others home. Kane and Hyman have both been sent free on goal by Pulju on nice plays.

He has been around the play.

Why would we dump the player when he's likely value at 3M. Holland stitched himself in a cap corner but overpaying modest contributions with other players through the lineup. Even reupping Kulak, typically a 5-6 D this much is far more than the player was paid before. Kulak tried to lobby that he was going back to Montreal. He even said he wanted to be back in Montreal. Theres been hardly any mention on the board about that. Nor is there any clear indication Montreal even wanted the player they used to bench back. We're paying Kulak about 1M too much just because he said he was looking elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00