Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
no coach in the history of the nhl is going to purposely use/not use players to keep point totals down for contract negs. most coaches don't last more than 4-6 years. TM doesn't give a damn what their contracts are he wants to win. Im guessing the reason we haven't seen JP98 on the PP is TM 's issue with using him on the point in letestus spot. a forward on the point is always a liability and once the confidence is there he will get his shot and he will never move off that top PP unit.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Man, did I like the way he battled in front of the net to get his goal last night. A combination of size, strength and determination. And then follows it up with a sublime delay and beauty pass to McDavid.

What a tease he is!

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Man, did I like the way he battled in front of the net to get his goal last night. A combination of size, strength and determination. And then follows it up with a sublime delay and beauty pass to McDavid.

What a tease he is!

I think the delay worked because he has shown in games to shoot a lot. Even games where he has no chance to score, he shoots the puck. I dunno if goaltenders really scout him or not, so maybe I am reading too much into it. But if not, it should pay off in the future. You dont want to be too predictable.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Pulju is 10 times the player Tkatchuk is--always has been, always will be.

I really figured that Pulju would be a regular 30 to 40 goal scorer, without question. But based on his recent play, he may be even more than that. He is turning into a dominating force. I hope McDavid can keep up . . .
Your spelling of Tkachuk's name isn't the only thing wrong with your post. Ten times better? Always has been? I don't think so. Holy hyperbole.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Your spelling of Tkachuk's name isn't the only thing wrong with your post. Ten times better? Always has been? I don't think so. Holy hyperbole.

Did I hurt your feelings because I misspelled your favorite boyfriend's name? You're just wrong here, so beat it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I'm trying to avoid direct comparison between the players, but I'm glad at the moment it looks like there's no need to cry after Tkatchuk. He's a good player, I don't mean that, but last year so many were talking like "imagine if we'd got Tkatchuk". I saw the both players at the U20 WC and Jesse looked clearly better so I knew it can't be as if it looked to many people last year.

I've learned quite a lot from hfboards, e.g. what it takes to make someone a bust: You put a very talented player with the worst forwards and give no PP time. Then you bench him after the first mistake. Give him some occasional ice time with those worst forwards and send him to the AHL. -> A bust

Next season send him to the AHL even when he's clearly not the worst forward and when he has a couple of very promising preseason games. When he gets called up and plays well (with no PP time) bench him for a couple of games for no reason -> A bust

All most people follow is the very basic stats. If a player sits a game or two or is sent to the AHL that means a bust. Many people don't also realize how lack of PP time or lowish minutes affect the total scores.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I think the delay worked because he has shown in games to shoot a lot. Even games where he has no chance to score, he shoots the puck. I dunno if goaltenders really scout him or not, so maybe I am reading too much into it. But if not, it should pay off in the future. You dont want to be too predictable.

totally agree, it was the same thing cammy did on nuges goal. every goalie and dman on the ice thinks cammy is shooting, he flinched and dished and nuge buried it. if this team finds its stride they could be beasting when sekera and Larsson and Talbot are back. Id agrue Talbot doesn't let in 4 of the 5 LB let in on this road trip.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I'm trying to avoid direct comparison between the players, but I'm glad at the moment it looks like there's no need to cry after Tkatchuk. He's a good player, I don't mean that, but last year so many were talking like "imagine if we'd got Tkatchuk". I saw the both players at the U20 WC and Jesse looked clearly better so I knew it can't be as if it looked to many people last year.

I've learned quite a lot from hfboards, e.g. what it takes to make someone a bust: You put a very talented player with the worst forwards and give no PP time. Then you bench him after the first mistake. Give him some occasional ice time with those worst forwards and send him to the AHL. -> A bust

Next season send him to the AHL even when he's clearly not the worst forward and when he has a couple of very promising preseason games. When he gets called up and plays well (with no PP time) bench him for a couple of games for no reason -> A bust

All most people follow is the very basic stats. If a player sits a game or two or is sent to the AHL that means a bust. Many people don't also realize how lack of PP time or lowish minutes affect the total scores.

the majority of posters look at things in 3-5 game increments. if mcdavid went pointless in 5 games there would be posters crying about 12.5M a season. every poster seems to have some agenda and as soon as a stat fits that mould they harp on it here for hours.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
the majority of posters look at things in 3-5 game increments. if mcdavid went pointless in 5 games there would be posters crying about 12.5M a season. every poster seems to have some agenda and as soon as a stat fits that mould they harp on it here for hours.

I agree, though I've also brought my share of the stats :) I just felt a bit frustrated that no-one seemed to pay any attention to additional stats (including /60 and +-) and had already declared him a bust, though in many ways he had been doing better than people remembered.

Another thing that affects here is the Finnish writers. I don't mean this as an insult but I believe they've been kind of brainwashed a bit. No-one admits that could happen to them but it affects most (all?) of us more or less, and it's all natural.

At first the Finnish magazines wrote a lot about Laine and Pulju, but after a while they dropped Jesse (as his career wasn't as exciting at that time) and concentrated on just Laine. At the back of minds that started to mean that Jesse is a bust. The more that went on the stronger the message was, and after a while magazines started to write about Jesse's difficulties, without checking the background of the situation. Then some Finns have been calling Jesse a bust at just about every forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 278 others

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If Puljujarvi plays at a level to earn an $8.5M contract, that's an excellent problem to have.

Can not disagree more with this statement. Chiarelli gets crapped on for a lot of stuff around here and IF... if he is managing Jessie in a way to avoid an 8.5 million dollar contract while still developing a great 2 way player... That's a big win for the organization.

Not at the expense of a season without the playoffs, but that very very obviously is not the case here. Darn near the whole board thought JP should be sent down to make way for Yamamoto to start the year. Having JP up on McDavids line 24/7 right off the bat may have helped the team but we are talking minutely. JP can't make Talbot/LB stop goals from below the goal line. Or repair Sekera's knee. Or perform brain surgery to repair whatever damage Klefbom received in the offseason.

I personally hope he can continue to score on anyone's wing, not just McDavids, and clip in about a 0.5ppg. this year and improve on that marginally next year to maybe 0.6ppg next year. Sign him relatively cheap long term THEN have him explode for ppg after he is signed. With what we are seeing from him that seems unlikely but one can dream.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Can not disagree more with this statement. Chiarelli gets crapped on for a lot of stuff around here and IF... if he is managing Jessie in a way to avoid an 8.5 million dollar contract while still developing a great 2 way player... That's a big win for the organization.

Not at the expense of a season without the playoffs, but that very very obviously is not the case here. Darn near the whole board thought JP should be sent down to make way for Yamamoto to start the year. Having JP up on McDavids line 24/7 right off the bat may have helped the team but we are talking minutely. JP can't make Talbot/LB stop goals from below the goal line. Or repair Sekera's knee. Or perform brain surgery to repair whatever damage Klefbom received in the offseason.

I personally hope he can continue to score on anyone's wing, not just McDavids, and clip in about a 0.5ppg. this year and improve on that marginally next year to maybe 0.6ppg next year. Sign him relatively cheap long term THEN have him explode for ppg after he is signed. With what we are seeing from him that seems unlikely but one can dream.
Ugh :facepalm: I didn't make that complicated of a point, but you still missed it. If this kind of contract stuff is a sincere worry, just trade the guys sooner before he gets expensive.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Ugh :facepalm: I didn't make that complicated of a point, but you still missed it. If this kind of contract stuff is a sincere worry, just trade the guys sooner before he gets expensive.

Still missing it but don't worry about it. Trading guys and getting value is tough to do.

All moot anyways. Wild speculation and wishful thinking in spades any which way.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

After the last preseason game people here were writing that Pulju is ready to play in the NHL, so the choice to send him down wasn't quite that obvious. People were also writing that he was better than e.g. Caggiula and Strome, but for some reason Yamamoto and Puljujarvi had only one place to fight for. That was a mistake from TM.

He also should've seen that Jesse doing well in the last, most physical game, and Yamo having a more difficult time in his last preseason game, was already telling something. I do understand he wanted to give Yamo a chance, but he didn't have to put Slepy up immediately. Or keep Caggiula or Strome up for every game when they didn't show much in the preseason games.

Even if we accept the AHL stint he should've been on the PP earlier. I definitely believe the team would have some more points, which would be enough to not have this season written off like some are already doing.

I'm disappointed if Chia thinks it's morally right to fool around with Puljujarvi and to risk his best possible development. If he does this and if the Oilers miss the playoffs by a few points he should be fired.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It is astounding to me how JP doesn't even get 2nd unit PP ice time. Assuming one dman plays on each unit, are there really 8 forwards on this team that are better options or ahead of him right now? HELL NO. Even Sam Bennett was rewarded with PP time during his huge slump. It's perplexing.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Gee, Pulji is getting McDavid time and he's shining? Who'd have predicted that? We did, right here!

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

I can't help but think this line of thinking is incredibly flawed. Not only it's a bad way to develop talent to the max, but it's also basically telling the player "we won't give you a fair chance, we want to screw you over until we are in a position to sign you for a long-term contract for less than you're really worth, after that we can play you according to your abilities, while we spin it in the media to make it look like you weren't ready before and we did awesome job to coach an NHL talent out of you". If I was a player or agent, I'd be giving all the possible middle-fingers within my powers to an organization like that.

EDIT: Also, it's completely unreasonable to demand any kind of dedication or loyalty from players to the team, if the team is showing none. Same goes to fanbase - yeah, the players might not be Oilers for life, but it comes down to do you want them to be Oilers heart and soul for the time they play for the team, or do you want a screwed over set of mercenaries who will be happy to play elsewhere the moment they get an offer from a team that actually respects their talent?

I doubt that's really how NHL teams manage their talent, but if they do they are incredibly stupid.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can't help but think this line of thinking is incredibly flawed. Not only it's a bad way to develop talent to the max, but it's also basically telling the player "we won't give you a fair chance, we want to screw you over until we are in a position to sign you for a long-term contract for less than you're really worth, after that we can play you according to your abilities, while we spin it in the media to make it look like you weren't ready before and we did awesome job to coach an NHL talent out of you". If I was a player or agent, I'd be giving all the possible middle-fingers within my powers to an organization like that.

EDIT: Also, it's completely unreasonable to demand any kind of dedication or loyalty from players to the team, if the team is showing none. Same goes to fanbase - yeah, the players might not be Oilers for life, but it comes down to do you want them to be Oilers heart and soul for the time they play for the team, or do you want a screwed over set of mercenaries who will be happy to play elsewhere the moment they get an offer from a team that actually respects their talent?

I doubt that's really how NHL teams manage their talent, but if they do they are incredibly stupid.

You live in an idealistic world that frankly does not exist. Managers never look for the best interest of thier employees.

And emphasizing two way play over one dimensional by being tough is exactly the way players should be developed imo. If an added bonus gives a salary benefit for the team. Win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad