Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't think JP is being kept off he PP to keep his salary down. That's too intelligent of a plan for these idiots.

Occam's razor, the simple, and more likely explanation, is Woodcroft is an idiot and TM is just stubbornly loyal to that moron.

Yup, this is the answer. Woodcroft is a fool, and anybody with a brain in their heads can see it, and TMac is blindly loyal to a fault (and it IS a rather large fault, in case you were wondering).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yes to both ideas. They should both be gone, without question.

The fact that Pulj has an average of 18 seconds/game of PP time is almost incomprehensible.

He got his chance tonight and failed. He can try again in February ;)

By "chance" I mean that PP at the end of the game when everyone was playing the PP like we were shorthanded.

russianoiler

Jun 22, 2016
Russia
Nope you can't do that. They can, however, sign Jesse this offseason after July 1st to a contract extension that would start in 2019. I think that would be the smart move. Something in the 4-4.5M x 6-8 years would be fine by me.

4-4,5M? Every game this kid play, he goes to the side "Nikolaj Ehlers type contract"

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I hope Pulju doesn't sign long term deal. It's nice to play with McDavid, but if he gets no PP time next 8 years and play 9 to 14 minutes a night, it will be a long deal.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
I love what I see when JP is on ice. So engaged and driven. He creates lot of free ice for other players and from my eyes it seems that Lucic is the first who benefits that little open space as he is not that fast by himself. Game by game Jesse has more confidence to do things he is good at plus he has been force in front of the net. I hope he learns little bit nastiness with Lucic so he could be Wheeler type of player when skating and Simmonds type player in front of the net. That is high hope but he has all the tools to be that kind of combination.

He still needs support to keep this development path and if Oilers succeed to do right things with him, there is +70 pts right winger for McDavid. Jesse is already showing that creativity which can compliment McDavid’s strengths but his shot is not used at all. When coaches figure out they need some PP goals, they put him in left wall and start use that hammer. If it doesn’t go right in, it creates rebounds for right side players.

I wonder what they are waiting?

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I hope Pulju doesn't sign long term deal. It's nice to play with McDavid, but if he gets no PP time next 8 years and play 9 to 14 minutes a night, it will be a long deal.

Since there's no logic to explain the idiocy that is Pulju playing 9 mins a night, I'm going to assume that Tmac and the brain trust have some kind of master progression plan that they are married to with him. All results and improvement be damned. The kid has clearly improved his game and energy level and deserves more minutes alongside McD.

Why Woodcroft hasn't been replaced based on performance alone this year is simply staggering.

Nuusku

Jun 18, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Has no reporter just asked Tmac what's the masterplan behind that joke of a PP and the lack of Pulju-magic that could fix it?

If I was a reporter covering the Oilers, that's what I would ask anyways.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
What in the world are these?

DPHpvsJW4AEtf2P.jpg

DPr7YtmW0AA08pK.jpg

Not sure if fake, but they didn't age well. Well, maybe the beard one is still true :)

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Looks fake to me. But pretty funny if true, though the first one is missing context. Dubois has 2 more goals in twice as many games played.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I find it pretty laughable how this kid only gets around 13 minutes a night and no PP time yet he has nearly a point per game in his last 7 games. Has Mclellan been instructed to not play Puljujarvi too much due to future contract concerns or is he really that clueless?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I find it pretty laughable how this kid only gets around 13 minutes a night and no PP time yet he has nearly a point per game in his last 7 games. Has Mclellan been instructed to not play Puljujarvi too much due to future contract concerns or is he really that clueless?

I hope it's not to stop him from hitting bonuses. Although, maybe it's better news if it is, because that would mean he would get on the PP very soon as there will not be enough time left for him to hit 35A or 60P marks. Maybe enough time to hit 20G though, but that would be stupid to be scared of because we badly need wingers putting the puck in the net and a right handed shot that can do it on the PP.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for Jesse to get a shot on the PP. As ujju2 said the 2nd unit has been better of late anyway in terms of puck movement, keeping the zone, etc.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The thing is that the top unit is going to continue to struggle as long as 55 is on it. They're far too predictable and there's nothing dangerous happening when the puck is on Letestu's side.

They'd be much better served to run 97-29-27-98-77 and then move Letestu to the 2nd unit if they're that hung up on using him on the PP. Anyways, baby steps I suppose, but don't act surprised when Draisaitl's PP production continues to struggle on that unit. There's 2 playmakers playing with a triggerman who stands stationary, cant handle the puck, and fans on 95% of his shot opportunities.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
^ The real problem. Only one RH shooter, who only shoots for perfect (and slow) passes and never shoots wristers etc. PP1 is as predictable as is sunset.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
^ The real problem. Only one RH shooter, who only shoots for perfect (and slow) passes and never shoots wristers etc. PP1 is as predictable as is sunset.

Only hope for that 1st unit is to take Letestu off, or to go around the league and erase knowledge of Letestu's heater run on the PP last year. Need to go back to when no team took him seriously on the PP and just left him uncovered. If they pay any attention to him, he is neutralized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->