Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Pulju was interviewed in Finnish after the game last night. I don't have the time to translate the whole article, so I'll just translate what Pulju said:

"Tight game. We played well as a team, but we just couldn't convert our chances tonight. Toronto defended well and the goalie was in good form. Sometimes it goes like this.

Towards the end our line played better. We too had some good chances. I could also create some chances myself, but we couldn't convert."

He was then asked about his nice moves, which he hasn't really showed that much in the NHL thus far, like the pass to Lucic through his legs.

"The coach has given me more responsibility and it's starting to feel like he is starting to trust me. When you get to play more, you have the courage to use your own skills more. Even though from time to time you've not seen those kinds of moves from me and the game has felt frustrating*, those skills have still always been there.

You just have to have trust in what you do and in that I am a good player, even though sometimes it's harder. You should make your own good choices, skate hard and work all the time. That way you will get good chances in the rink."

* Actual word he used was tuskainen which would be directly translated as painful or anguished.

Last edited:

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Pulju was interviewed in Finnish after the game last night. I don't have the time to translate the whole article, so I'll just translate what Pulju said:

"Tight game. We played well as a team, but we just couldn't convert our chances tonight. Toronto defended well and the goalie was in good form. Sometimes it goes like this.

Towards the end our line played better. We too had some good chances. I could also create some chances myself, but we couldn't convert."

He was then asked about his nice moves, which he hasn't really showed that much in the NHL thus far, like the pass to Lucic through his legs.

"The coach has given me more responsibility and it's starting to feel like he is starting to trust me. When you get to play more, you have the courage to use your own skills more. Even though from time to time you've not seen those kinds of moves from me and the game has felt frustrating*, those skills have still always been there.

You just have to have trust in what you do and in that I am a good player, even though sometimes it's harder. You should make your own good choices, skate hard and work all the time. That way you will get good chances in the rink."

* Actual word he used was tuskainen which would be directly translated as painful or anguished.

Thank you for the translation! Good to see he is getting more confident in himself.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
JP should have at least been on the 2nd PP unit the second they decided to keep him up last year. The team just drafted an elite prospect that put up near record numbers in his Jr career and they put him in the bottom six with no PP time.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
JP should have at least been on the 2nd PP unit the second they decided to keep him up last year. The team just drafted an elite prospect that put up near record numbers in his Jr career and they put him in the bottom six with no PP time.

Yeah i dont know what TM/JW is really trying to do with the player. I understood it more last year because the PP was working and why tinker with something thats working but this year, it makes no sense.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Exactly, though they gave him PP time for a few games at the start of the season when he hit the post/crossbar several times. They could've seen that as a positive sign, but instead they dropped Jesse out and he hasn't got another chance since that. Well he had a period in the preseason game and according to the comments I also pasted here he was very good then.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He has had a slow start and he'll probably continue slow for a bit as he learns the NHL game and gets to know the team better, but god damn he excites me. He oozes skill and it's only a matter of time when he puts it all together.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
5 Pts in his last 6 games since being healthy scratched for 2 games, that's a good sign. Needs to keep it up and make the most out of his time with McDavid for as long as it lasts.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Puljujärvi actually creates scoring chances and room for his linemates which is so refreshing to see from a McDavid winger who isn't Draisaitl. That duo is going to dominate the league with their rushes for a long time.

Reactions: snipes

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Game Changer ... happy with that one eh?

How could you guess that :) Tomorrow's gonna be a tough day as it'd 5am here, but it was worth it.

I didn't watch the game but followed the comments again (from the bed actually). Seems like the team is doing so much better now. That's great! Also happy for LB. Now I need to add one more thing to the letter for Santa. I won't tell anyone what is it, but I can give four letters plus a number: J P 2 P P :)

Reactions: snipes and harpoon

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
You can see his inexperience in moments like when he got undressed by Panarin, but that’s something that can and has happened to quite a few players in the NHL. JP played a solid game for the most part, and of course the points didn’t hurt either.

He looks like a passable 1RW to me at the ripe age of 19, and we should expect him to only get better from here on out. The one thing he hasn’t been able to showcase much is his slapper, but Todd can’t insane himself out of putting him on the PP all season, can he?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
5 Pts in his last 6 games since being healthy scratched for 2 games, that's a good sign. Needs to keep it up and make the most out of his time with McDavid for as long as it lasts.

Yes, and without PP time and with still quite lowish minutes. He's had and created opportunities for more (including the crossbar hit), but it's good to keep building on that.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The one thing he hasn’t been able to showcase much is his slapper, but Todd can’t insane himself out of putting him on the PP all season, can he?

A short while ago I read Laine had scored 9 out of his 14 goals on PP. Even though that's the highest in the NHL it shows what an effect PP time can have for a great shooter. It also shows that the best way to find room for an exceptional shot is naturally a PP.

E: Thanks for the GDT thread mates! It was fun again, but now I must go to bed. Enjoy the victory and have a great night!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How could you guess that :) Tomorrow's gonna be a tough day as it'd 5am here, but it was worth it.

I didn't watch the game but followed the comments again (from the bed actually). Seems like the team is doing so much better now. That's great! Also happy for LB. Now I need to add one more thing to the letter for Santa. I won't tell anyone what is it, but I can give four letters plus a number: J P 2 P P :)

You must be happy GC. You've stood by JP the whole time.

Him and McDavid are becoming what I envisioned when we drafted him.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You must be happy GC. You've stood by JP the whole time.

Him and McDavid are becoming what I envisioned when we drafted him.

Yes sir, you're correct :) I'm sure the same applies to you and a few other optimistic ones, too. Heck I'm sure people who didn't believe in JP are happy, too, it's not more serious than that. We all make mistakes, even me, though all the time I've known believing in JP won't be one of them ;)

I just followed him too closely from a very early age. It started when he hit seven goals against Jokerit Helsinki as a young junior. I checked his background and found out that when his junior team won gold in bandy he scored 15 out of the 16 goals in semifinal and the final. Then I saw him dominate at Ivan Hlinka at 16 (though he just kept hitting the posts) and after that there was no question in my mind.

However, I've been worried about the treatment TM has given him, but it seems to be going to right direction. There's still a lot to prove and a lot of work ahed for him to get where I expect him to (which is basically being a dominant player in the NHL). PP will help him a lot.

Reactions: Jaska and snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes sir, you're correct :) I'm sure the same applies to you and a few other optimistic ones, too. Heck I'm sure people who didn't believe in JP are happy, too, it's not more serious than that. We all make mistakes, even me, though all the time I've known believing in JP won't be one of them ;)

I just followed him too closely from a very early age. It started when he hit seven goals against Jokerit Helsinki as a young junior. I checked his background and found out that when his junior team won gold in bandy he scored 15 out of the 16 goals in semifinal and the final. Then I saw him dominate at Ivan Hlinka at 16 (though he just kept hitting the posts) and after that there was no question in my mind.

However, I've been worried about the treatment TM has given him, but it seems to be going to right direction. There's still a lot to prove and a lot of work ahed for him to get where I expect him to (which is basically being a dominant player in the NHL). PP will help him a lot.

Great post, I always enjoy your insights.

I've stood by Pulju but you've been really loyal and have had some excellent analysis of his play showing it was much better than the raw stats.

Him and McDavid look so confident together, you can tell Pulju is getting comfortable and the chemistry is real. Those two will be the best or among the best combos in the NHL.

Reactions: GameChanger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad