Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I really like the speed that Pulju brings to McDavid's line. Most of the wingers that Connor has played with so far in Edmonton have been much slower than him. Connor has had to adjust his game to match that of his linemates. Having a speedy winger is an element of McDavid's game that we haven't seen much of in Edmonton so far. Hopefully Todd keeps Pulju and McDavid together for awhile to see if they can become the dynamic duo we all hope they could be when Pulju was drafted.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I really like the speed that Pulju brings to McDavid's line. Most of the wingers that Connor has played with so far in Edmonton have been much slower than him. Connor has had to adjust his game to match that of his linemates. Having a speedy winger is an element of McDavid's game that we haven't seen much of in Edmonton so far. Hopefully Todd keeps Pulju and McDavid together for awhile to see if they can become the dynamic duo we all hope they could be when Pulju was drafted.

agreed, there was one play vs CGY where mcdavid had the puck and JP used his speed to get behind both defenders for a pass. Once teams figure out they have to adjust for JP on the ice Mcdavid will have that much more space and then its game over.

Reactions: McNuge

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They rested him because they felt he was worn down, and since returning from a few games off he has looked good
Game Day Quick Hits: Oilers vs. Flyers

I guess that is why he was being sat. Some were pretty pissed off, but makes a lot of sense.
It makes a lot of sense? How can a player like Puljujärvi be "worn down" after a couple of games? Hockey's just high intensity interval training. Any healthy and active individual should be able to handle an hour of that 3-4 times a week, and hockey's rest periods are much longer than a normal session's.

I'd get it if it was late in the season and after 60 games or so but he's played 10 games.

Sure sounds like a fishy explanation to me.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It makes a lot of sense? How can a player like Puljujärvi be "worn down" after a couple of games? Hockey's just high intensity interval training. Any healthy and active individual should be able to handle an hour of that 3-4 times a week, and hockey's rest periods are much longer than a normal session's.

I'd get it if it was late in the season and after 60 games or so but he's played 10 games.

Sure sounds like a fishy explanation to me.
Add that there was/is two illnesses that went through this team and ya it makes a lot of sense

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Did I read correctly that the Oilers haven't scored a PP goal for six games? Here's a couple of quotes from Winnipegsun.com:

The Jets power play has turned into quite a weapon this season and thanks to delivering three goals on the man-advantage in consecutive games, they moved up to second spot in the NHL, operating at 27.4%, just behind the Tampa Bay Lightning.
“We have a lot of weapons. We’re passing it very well right now. These guys know exactly what they’re doing and where to put the puck,” said Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck. “It’s hard for teams to defend that many weapons. We have goal scorers in every spot. What are you going to do with only four guys (defending)?”

“When it’s going, it’s going really good,” said Wheeler. “We’re blessed, really. Laine and Mark Scheifele are two of the better right shots in the world and they’re on the same power play unit so it makes a really tough match up to take both of them away. We try to stay fast and try to get as many pucks to the net. Sometimes they all seem to go in. Sometimes it goes cold but you want to stay with the same trigger points. Goal scorers find those lanes. Between Scheifele and (Laine), they always seem to be open. It’s a matter of getting them the puck.”

I read that Laine has scored 9 out of his 14 goals on PP this season. Can you imagine what an elite RW shot could do to our 1st (and 2nd) PP? That would also leave more room for McDavid and the others. He may not be Laine but Puljujarvi has an exceptional shot, fast with a great release, which they obviously don't need.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did I read correctly that the Oilers haven't scored a PP goal for six games? Here's a couple of quotes from Winnipegsun.com:

The Jets power play has turned into quite a weapon this season and thanks to delivering three goals on the man-advantage in consecutive games, they moved up to second spot in the NHL, operating at 27.4%, just behind the Tampa Bay Lightning.
“We have a lot of weapons. We’re passing it very well right now. These guys know exactly what they’re doing and where to put the puck,” said Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck. “It’s hard for teams to defend that many weapons. We have goal scorers in every spot. What are you going to do with only four guys (defending)?”

“When it’s going, it’s going really good,” said Wheeler. “We’re blessed, really. Laine and Mark Scheifele are two of the better right shots in the world and they’re on the same power play unit so it makes a really tough match up to take both of them away. We try to stay fast and try to get as many pucks to the net. Sometimes they all seem to go in. Sometimes it goes cold but you want to stay with the same trigger points. Goal scorers find those lanes. Between Scheifele and (Laine), they always seem to be open. It’s a matter of getting them the puck.”

I read that Laine has scored 9 out of his 14 goals on PP this season. Can you imagine what an elite RW shot could do to our 1st (and 2nd) PP? That would also leave more room for McDavid and the others. He may not be Laine but Puljujarvi has an exceptional shot, fast with a great release, which they obviously don't need.
You have to earn your PP time here.
Once you get it, no matter how bad you are, they don't move you away. Especially if you are a 4th liner.

Reactions: Aerrol and McNuge

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You have to earn your PP time here.
Once you get it, no matter how bad you are, they don't move you away. Especially if you are a 4th liner.

Yeah, that's what it looks like. It's quite hard to earn it if scoring at Jesse's rate isn't enough and if you don't get PP time or if you finally do get a bit it's at a wrong position. Well it must be great for Letestu to know there's no pressure to score.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
One more message before stepping aside for a while again. I happened to bump into a scouting report on January 19th 2016. Here's some quotes:

Puljujarvi is a constant driver of the play wherever it is on the ice and just makes things happen (Dan Stewart)

That last bit is likely a nod to Puljujarvi’s seemingly endless creativity, which can be hard to define. When he’s on the ice he has that special ability to see gaps and find ways to skate into them, move the puck through them or make himself visible to teammates using them.

To me it's seemed these things are starting to be seen more and more on the NHL level now. It also helps he's playing with McDavid, but that help seems to go both ways.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
One more message before stepping aside for a while again. I happened to bump into a scouting report on January 19th 2016. Here's some quotes:

Puljujarvi is a constant driver of the play wherever it is on the ice and just makes things happen (Dan Stewart)

That last bit is likely a nod to Puljujarvi’s seemingly endless creativity, which can be hard to define. When he’s on the ice he has that special ability to see gaps and find ways to skate into them, move the puck through them or make himself visible to teammates using them.

To me it's seemed these things are starting to be seen more and more on the NHL level now. It also helps he's playing with McDavid, but that help seems to go both ways.
He is a creative player for sure. Once he gets comfortable and his teammates start to get his playing style I expect a surge in his production. Pulju needs a certain ammount of freedom to improvise to get the best out of him in my opinion, but that freedom he must earn.

Reactions: GameChanger

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He is a creative player for sure. Once he gets comfortable and his teammates start to get his playing style I expect a surge in his production. Pulju needs a certain ammount of freedom to improvise to get the best out of him in my opinion, but that freedom he must earn.

The great thing is in McDavid he has a player that's sneaky enough to work (and of course create his own) with that creativity. When Jesse plays with average players he can't utilize that feature as well. They've had just two games together so I expect their chemistry to get even better during the next weeks if TM won't start doing you know... his things.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The great thing is in McDavid he has a player that's sneaky enough to work (and of course create his own) with that creativity. When Jesse plays with average players he can't utilize that feature as well. They've had just two games together so I expect their chemistry to get even better during the next weeks if TM won't start doing you know... his things.

JP98 is a lot like mcdavid in that his physical skills and vision allow him to not have tendencies and can adapt and create using what ever the defence gives him. this is going to cause nightmares once the 2 of them build chemistry and read off of each other.

Reactions: GameChanger

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Great game tonight. With a little luck he could have scored twice. Also made a few nice defensive plays. All is well.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I personally haven't seen anyone ever hitting the posts so often (compared to the goals scored). As far as I know there's been altogether eight post hits / five goals during his time up. Then there's the ones in the World Championships and the post hits at 16 in U20 WC. The good thing is that once things really start rolling (PP please) these may somehow start going in.

Anyway, it's great to see the 1st line works so well with this combination, as it also allows Drai to run his own line. Like I wrote in possibly any other team Pulju would be on the PP but somehow TM doesn't find use for him even in the 2nd PP.

Reactions: Aerrol

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
He's getting more confidence on that line with McDavid with each passing game. Starting to develop some nice chemistry as well. That give-and-go with 97 on Auvitu's goal was a sweet little play. Jesse's getting to the right areas of the ice, driving the net, getting his shot off in space and is utilizing his linemates excellently. Most importantly, he can play the game at a speed that is compatible with McDavid as well. It's ridiculous that Todd refuses to put him on the PP and is indefensible at this point.

Lucic has also been a pleasant surprise on that line lately.

Reactions: Aerrol

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Lucic has also been a pleasant surprise on that line lately.

This line worked well for the few games they were together last season and I believe it starting to click now is a combination of many things. McDavid is getting over the more difficult period, he now has someone who can play the fast game he likes and where he really shines at, Jesse has developed a lot and is playing a confident hockey now. The way he plays also creates more room for McDavid.

Then there is Lucic who seems like a pretty good fit with the two speedy guys and obviously understands what kind of a game he needs to play there. Lets hope it stays that way and the chemistry just keeps growing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Loved his game, he was a all over the ice yesterday and again showed potential for a rare winger who can drive a line.

I said it in his main prospect thread that if Todd allows him to play good amount of time with McDavid this year I have no doubts he'll develop well, which could let to him explode in his +3 season as so many European kids before him in the recent years.
My confidence for his development goes way down when it's playing u10mins in the bottom6 just because or being in the verge of getting sent to AHL constantly.
Pulju is still so raw and has insane potential that I feel it's extra important to handle him right/well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Surprisingly, he's progressed better than I expected. If there is one thing I hope he works on, its his skating. Still awkward AF but it's getting better each game. More of a refinement issue than anything major.

But dat shot

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I've been hard on him, so I have to give him credit where credit is due as well. Last night he was the best player on the ice for either team. He only got 1 secondary assist, but could have had 3 goals, and prevented 2 *glorious* scoring chances against as well. He certainly is one of the most defensively responsible 19 year old players I have seen in a long time. I still question his offensive ceiling, and puck handling ability, but his defensive play really is something else some nights.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
I personally haven't seen anyone ever hitting the posts so often (compared to the goals scored). As far as I know there's been altogether eight post hits / five goals during his time up. Then there's the ones in the World Championships and the post hits at 16 in U20 WC. The good thing is that once things really start rolling (PP please) these may somehow start going in.

Anyway, it's great to see the 1st line works so well with this combination, as it also allows Drai to run his own line. Like I wrote in possibly any other team Pulju would be on the PP but somehow TM doesn't find use for him even in the 2nd PP.

Or Crossbar!

Great to see Puli finding his mojo lately!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Jesus that is impressive. I'm sure other NHLer's could do the same, but its still impressive to see.
That is a great clip, the idea was really to put it over the crossbar with a one-handed backhand, but Forsberg "developed" the idea to hit it instead. I don't know how many could do it, and seeing his laugh I am not sure he expected two in a row, but still so impressive.

Oh, and awesome to see some jadeddog optimism. Seems like it has been a while :nod:
(but I've not been in so much lately so I can't really say)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad