Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why Puljujarvi should return to Finland immediately.
SM liiga's slow and passive game is the reason Pulju's problems to adjusting North American ice surface.

If Oilers loan Puljujarvi to Europe at some point then it's better to loan him SHL.
Game in SHL is so much faster and much closer to NHL than in SM liiga.

If you don't believe this watch some SHL games and you'll see several similarities between SHL and NHL.
Simply because his problems have still most of all to do with self confidence problems. He is lost and he needs now to get back that lost confidence in a surrounding where he will be supported and guided appropriately. It will not be possible anywhere else than in Kärpät. SHL is not the answer at all.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Simply because his problems have still most of all to do with self confidence problems. He is lost and he needs now to get back that lost confidence in a surrounding where he will be supported and guided appropriately. It will not be possible anywhere else than in Kärpät. SHL is not the answer at all.
If the only place he can be supported and confident is there then he is a straight up bust and should go to Karpat and never come back. Thank fully it's not true

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

After the way he played a couple of games in the preseason I think he'd done just fine in the Oilers. Each report I read here said he looks NHL ready. Not complete in all areas, but all in all NHL ready and very good in some areas. I don't know what's going on in his head, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's going through some tough times right now. The season is still long and I believe he can still do fine via this route, but you may be right with the self-confidence thing.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
didn't this guy win the MVP as a 17 yo at the u20's? tf is happening here?
This is my reaction atm as well. Its puzzling.
I'm not a prospects fan. Never participate in 'draft threads' and don't watch junior hockey aside from the big international tourneys. But the hype on this board surrounding Puljujarvi was so gigantic even I couldn't miss it. So when I first saw the kid play; saw how big he is, the way he skates ... I started to get a bit excited.

I have to believe that its a mental thing at this point. JP is probably a bit down on himself. Which is understandable, and probably not unusual, but I'm just afraid that this organization doesn't handle young players with fragile egos very well at all. And I have to wonder what kind of support he's getting down in CA. This team cannot afford to have a prospect of this caliber wasting away and taking steps backwards.

Seems obvious to me that Chiarelli was counting on Puljujarvi to fill in a RW slot on the big club this season. Maybe he feels personally let down that JP didn't come to camp more hungry and more ready. Watching the games so far, I'm not liking what I've seen from Yamamoto and I'm not convinced that Puljujarvi would be doing less with the opportunities that KY is getting right now. That has to be eating away at JP to some extent.

Hopefully the plan is to send Yamamoto back to junior and bring up JP in a week or so. Assuming that is the case, JP needs to show a different attitude. Somehow he has to channel his disappointment and frustration into a more aggressive game. Can't be a wimp in the NHL and JP plays like a wimp sometimes. Get mad kid. Get mean. Start using your size advantage. Start using your head and prove Chiarelli wrong for leaving you off this opening day roster.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Why Puljujarvi should return to Finland immediately.
SM liiga's slow and passive game is the reason Pulju's problems to adjusting North American ice surface.

If Oilers loan Puljujarvi to Europe at some point then it's better to loan him SHL.
Game in SHL is so much faster and much closer to NHL than in SM liiga.

If you don't believe this watch some SHL games and you'll see several similarities between SHL and NHL.
Kärpät is the least passive team in the FEL right now. If you have been paying attention (apparently not), you would have noticed that none of the teams really use trap anymore. It's been discussed in the finnish forums that the teams might have made an agreement to faster the game like they did in the SHL. But I do agree with you that he shouldn't return to Finland nevertheless. He needs to learn to play more NA fitting game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes because a 57 point pace for the youngest player in the league was a terrible production ?
It's not a "pace", he scored what he scored. This was supposed to be a surefire prospect and he's not torching the AHL? Yes I know he's really young but that's still somewhat concerning given what we were told about him when he was drafted.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'll give him a little leash, because I think he is moping ala Draisaitl did. If he continues to play poorly then it's a problem but also again illustrates why we could not trade Hall.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think the problem is that he was picked in the top 5 and people expect him to bust out immediately because of that... when in actuality he's more like a mid 1st type of pick (imo) and for those players who aren't obviously super elite (which he isn't), it takes time, sometimes several years before they put it together.

It may take him another season or two to start producing well at the NHL level and it's going to take patience with him. I already think he's pretty solid defensively (just doesn't play that physically) but he may get there in time... it just may take a little (or a lot) longer than we all thought it would for him to reach his potential.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It may take him another season or two to start producing well at the NHL level and it's going to take patience with him. I already think he's pretty solid defensively (just doesn't play that physically) but he may get there in time... it just may take a little (or a lot) longer than we all thought it would for him to reach his potential.

I would love to see him with McDavid for some 5-10 games and see if he's that far then. It's not an impossible thought that he could do that at a ppg rate, as he's done more (the actual rate almost 2ppg with barely no PP time) in the few games they've played together so far. I would love to hear from someone what he did not do enough last year in the four games they had together or in the first preseason game this year. I'm just seeing that almost everyone has forgotten there's been games where he's been one of the best players, too, so the potential is there. IMO it's just adding some elements, consistency and self-confidence to his game now.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think it would be wise to lower one's expectations on this kid. If he really had 1st line potential we would have seen at least 1 tiny glimpse of that potential, which we have not at this point. I can't recall PJ executing single highend play.

He's probably just one of those prospects that did something special in his draft year and got over-rated. He should have been a mid-first rounder; his probably a middle 6 winger.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think it would be wise to lower one's expectations on this kid. If he really had 1st line potential we would have seen at least 1 tiny glimpse of that potential, which we have not at this point. I can't recall PJ executing single highend play.

He's probably just one of those prospects that did something special in his draft and got over-rated. He should have been a mid-first rounder; his probably a middle 6 winger.

It seems to me that almost every high pick of the Oilers "has been overrated and should have been a mid-first rounder". What I mean is maybe it's time for the Oilers to look in the mirror too. Of course there's no way to prove anything, but I believe in many other teams Pulju would be doing great by now. And it's possible that'd be the case in the Oilers too if they'd kept him in the 1st line as long as he was doing fine there.

Anyway, it seems so many fans suddenly think he's a bust, so it might be good for everyone to trade him to e.g. Montreal. There he should get a chance to show what he's got.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are like those Game of Thrones prophecies. Things turn out but not in the way they're ever supposed to work out, lol.

"The king who was promised"

Was supposed to be Hall, no wait RNH, no wait Yakupov ... ends up being McDavid.

Draisaitl is the support player we wanted despite only being a no.3 pick and having little fanfare.

Yamamoto probably ends up being the player Puljujarvi is supposed to be.

mel-chosen.gif

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
We were missing a top six RW when JP flopped in camp. And no one should've expected him to be ready. .

This is my final message to this subject for now and it's a long one, so please skip it if you're tired of me :D

If you guys think JP really flopped in the camp maybe the expectations were too high. I mean after the split team game he had three normal preseason games, right? Here's about the first of those from Oilonwhyte.com:

Considering his performance, as well as his speed and overall improvement of his game, he is proving that he has what it takes to perform at the NHL level.

However, he came out showing speed and skill and tried to do everything in his power to stand out. With great speed, quick hands and a lethal shot, he managed to be one of the best Oilers on the ice and the first star of the night.

Here's what the wrote in Edmontonjournal.com just ten days (two games) ago:

Puljujarvi, #9 on Bakersfield, looked good in the AHL last year but he looked even better this game. He’s the youngest player on the team. He only turned 19 last May but he’s one of nine returning veterans in Bakersfield and it looks like he’s marking his territory on this team. He’s on the top line with Brad Malone and Joey Laleggia, and even better he’s combining extremely well with Laleggia, constantly looking for the streaking Laleggia with passes and hitting him in stride. This should be a dangerous AHL duo.

Puljujarvi has great touch making a pass, and he had a few good moments using his body to win and protect the puck against San Antonio. Give him at least a few more months down here, if not a full season, and he should be able to hone these skills to an NHL level.

And here's what they wrote at Oilonwhyte.com after the preseason games:

Through the preseason so far, the 6-foot-4, 211-pound forward has shown a lot of energy and has been proving his worth to Edmonton. He has shown great chemistry on the top six alongside players like Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. In four games so far, he has two goals and three points in four games and looks much stronger than he was last year.

As the Oilers look to start the year with more depth, Puljujarvi has more than proven his worth to make the team out of camp. First off, with a team that needs more depth and insurance down the right side, he is a big, fast winger who takes good care of the puck. Not only that, he has worked on his shooting and appears to have a stronger, better shot and can carry his line.

So my question is if all these comments are really that far, or maybe it's a kind of a mass hysteria that makes almost everyone think he's a bust as he was the one being sent to the AHL despite not doing bad at all for someone so young in the preseason games. Anyway, I wish Puljujarvi will get a real chance this year, if not in the Oilers then somewhere else. Of course I would love it if it could happen here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is my final message to this subject for now and it's a long one, so please skip it if you're tired of me :D

If you guys think JP really flopped in the camp maybe the expectations were too high. I mean after the split team game he had three normal preseason games, right? Here's about the first of those from Oilonwhyte.com:

Considering his performance, as well as his speed and overall improvement of his game, he is proving that he has what it takes to perform at the NHL level.

However, he came out showing speed and skill and tried to do everything in his power to stand out. With great speed, quick hands and a lethal shot, he managed to be one of the best Oilers on the ice and the first star of the night.

Here's what the wrote in Edmontonjournal.com just ten days (two games) ago:

Puljujarvi, #9 on Bakersfield, looked good in the AHL last year but he looked even better this game. He’s the youngest player on the team. He only turned 19 last May but he’s one of nine returning veterans in Bakersfield and it looks like he’s marking his territory on this team. He’s on the top line with Brad Malone and Joey Laleggia, and even better he’s combining extremely well with Laleggia, constantly looking for the streaking Laleggia with passes and hitting him in stride. This should be a dangerous AHL duo.

Puljujarvi has great touch making a pass, and he had a few good moments using his body to win and protect the puck against San Antonio. Give him at least a few more months down here, if not a full season, and he should be able to hone these skills to an NHL level.

And here's what they wrote at Oilonwhyte.com after the preseason games:

Through the preseason so far, the 6-foot-4, 211-pound forward has shown a lot of energy and has been proving his worth to Edmonton. He has shown great chemistry on the top six alongside players like Connor McDavid and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. In four games so far, he has two goals and three points in four games and looks much stronger than he was last year.

As the Oilers look to start the year with more depth, Puljujarvi has more than proven his worth to make the team out of camp. First off, with a team that needs more depth and insurance down the right side, he is a big, fast winger who takes good care of the puck. Not only that, he has worked on his shooting and appears to have a stronger, better shot and can carry his line.

So my question is if all these comments are really that far, or maybe it's a kind of a mass hysteria that makes almost everyone think he's a bust as he was the one being sent to the AHL despite not doing bad at all for someone so young in the preseason games. Anyway, I wish Puljujarvi will get a real chance this year, if not in the Oilers then somewhere else. Of course I would love if it could happen here.

If Pulju is truly better than last year that will translate to a better performance in the AHL and he'll earn his way back up. If we don't see a better performance out of him, he'll continue to play in the AHL. Scoring a goal would be a good start...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad