Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Puljujarvi and Teemu Pulkkinen are modern examples on that how lousy league SM liiga is preparing players to NHL standards without any exceptions ( Barkov, Laine, and Aho)
"Without any exceptions"... continues to list "exceptions" while forgetting several other players. So much BS in this. Pulkkinen wasn't considered a sure fire NHLer before the draft, what a great example. I would argue that Puljujärvi is an exception, but I don't think it had anything to do with SM-liiga "preparing" him wrong to the NHL. He wasn't as good as thought, simple as.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I just hope people would give at least 5-10 games before declaring him a bust. It does amaze me a bit that no-one seems to remember that as long as he got frequent ice time last year there was absolutely no problem. And he wasn't the worst player in the preseason either and after having two good games I'm sure he would've started the season in most NHL teams.

However, it seems to me the Oilers have made several questionable moves with him, and to be honest I'm not sure if this is the best place for his development. I hope no-ones feels insulted by me saying this, I respect Oilers and its fans a lot, but this isn't the strongest asset you have IMO.

By the way, since 2010 out of the players the Oilers have drafted at 2nd and 3rd rounds Slepy and Khaira are the only ones with at least five games in the NHL. I don't know if it's more about bad drafting or unsuccesful player development, but to me that looks worrying. I'm convinced Jesse's trading value is still very high, so that might not be such a terrible idea after all.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's a bit annoying that when the discussion about Jesse is positive some writers are quiet, but as soon as the talk gets negative they move from the Jets forum to tell what a bad player Pulju is. As I said let's give Jesse a chance to show what he's got in the Oilers.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
By the way, since 2010 out of the players the Oilers have drafted at 2nd and 3rd rounds Slepy and Khaira are the only ones with at least five games in the NHL. I don't know if it's more about bad drafting or unsuccesful player development, but to me that looks worrying. I'm convinced Jesse's trading value is still very high, so that might not be such a terrible idea after all.

And both those guys are "fringe" NHL players at best. This is where the team has failed the last decade, virtually getting nothing from the draft and drafting HIGH. I think Jones and maybe Bear could be later round guys that contribute. Benson is a total bust. Joining the ranks of blown 2nd round Musil picks.. Brutal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Guess Lowetide has a theory that the Oilers are burying Pulju for a while just to minimise any risks of him getting big bonuses. If that's the case, I sure hope Pulju and his agent don't think that :)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Guess Lowetide has a theory that the Oilers are burying Pulju for a while just to minimise any risks of him getting big bonuses. If that's the case, I sure hope Pulju and his agent don't think that :)
That's a bad theory cause he isn't doing well in the AHL.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
"Without any exceptions"... continues to list "exceptions" while forgetting several other players. So much BS in this. Pulkkinen wasn't considered a sure fire NHLer before the draft, what a great example. I would argue that Puljujärvi is an exception, but I don't think it had anything to do with SM-liiga "preparing" him wrong to the NHL. He wasn't as good as thought, simple as.

Lmao I like how the list of exceptions is longer than the list of ruined players.

Aho and Pulju played for the same team, Rantanen even played for a far worse team which made me underrate him.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sorry to say North Americans, but Jesse should return to Finland ASAP. It is obvious that he is such a kid still that right now playing in North America is not the right solution for him. His self confidence is shattered and he can’t much play with his strengths at the moment. Back to Kärpät and start gradually building his confidence in an environment where he can get more of the support that he obviously needs much more.

If this is done the Oilers can still have a good NHL player in him, in a few years. Continue in the way that it has been so far and I seriously see his hockey future as pitch black.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That to me would mean that Kevin Lowe is still calling the shots. Which we know isn't true...right???

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013

Would be a great theory if Pulju had a great camp followed by an impactful start in the AHL. He did neither. His camp was weak, he got schooled by a 150lb 18 year old who showed Pulju up big time. One would think he'd be ebarrased by the state of things and that would light a fire, but nope... Til he earns his shot, he can stay in the AHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I had some reservations last year but mostly gave him a chance for the season. New environment and all. However, what he showed at worlds this spring was very telling and that's when I got truly worried - He had not improved at all. Nothing that needed work had been worked on in the slightest. After that display, it really is no surprise that he still is doing poorly. I have no idea what he's doing but he clearly isn't training to improve. At this point you have to assume he doesn't have the correct attitude towards training. What a shame. He seems to actually have managed to even regress.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see the bonus angle. We have around 4-5 million in space assuming McDavid hits all his bonuses, and the other bonuses on the team are lower amounts. JP on the team could hit some bonuses but it's not likely he'd hit enough for us to go over.

Unless I suppose that we just want JP's salary next season to be really low, and any bonuses hit would increase the amount it takes to qualify him.

But to me it's just an unnecessary explanation. The simplest answer is that he just wasn't good enough, and that maybe we sent him down with a list of things to work his way back, and so it's a developmental thing with him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't see the bonus angle. We have around 4-5 million in space assuming McDavid hits all his bonuses, and the other bonuses on the team are lower amounts. JP on the team could hit some bonuses but it's not likely he'd hit enough for us to go over.

Unless I suppose that we just want JP's salary next season to be really low, and any bonuses hit would increase the amount it takes to qualify him.

But to me it's just an unnecessary explanation. The simplest answer is that he just wasn't good enough, and that maybe we sent him down with a list of things to work his way back, and so it's a developmental thing with him.

Depends if you want to make big adds at the deadline or earlier if need be. If JP is kind of on pace to hit bonuses, it changes how much you can add. There is absolutely no way Chia can allow a cap penalty next year.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
And both those guys are "fringe" NHL players at best. This is where the team has failed the last decade, virtually getting nothing from the draft and drafting HIGH. I think Jones and maybe Bear could be later round guys that contribute. Benson is a total bust. Joining the ranks of blown 2nd round Musil picks.. Brutal.

Yes, I agree. I think sometimes it'd be better to be humble and accept that the drafting and the player development just don't work, and if they're too stubborn to make changes there they should change the whole strategy. I mean if you can't utilize your high drafts it'd be better to trade them. Many other teams get core players from e.g. the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so it seems bad to watch the Oilers wasting theirs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am a fan of the player but 3 shots in 3 games at the AHL level is a joke for a player of his skill set. Even if he's down because he's back in Bako he should be busting his tail to get back on the big club because our offense has been abysmal so far.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am a fan of the player but 3 shots in 3 games at the AHL level is a joke for a player of his skill set. Even if he's down because he's back in Bako he should be busting his tail to get back on the big club because our offense has been abysmal so far.
Draisaitl wasn't lighting it up points wise but from all reports he was playing very well.

Pulju isn't doing either

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sorry to say North Americans, but Jesse should return to Finland ASAP. It is obvious that he is such a kid still that right now playing in North America is not the right solution for him. His self confidence is shattered and he can’t much play with his strengths at the moment. Back to Kärpät and start gradually building his confidence in an environment where he can get more of the support that he obviously needs much more.

If this is done the Oilers can still have a good NHL player in him, in a few years. Continue in the way that it has been so far and I seriously see his hockey future as pitch black.

Why Puljujarvi should return to Finland immediately.
SM liiga's slow and passive game is the reason Pulju's problems to adjusting North American ice surface.

If Oilers loan Puljujarvi to Europe at some point then it's better to loan him SHL.
Game in SHL is so much faster and much closer to NHL than in SM liiga.

If you don't believe this watch some SHL games and you'll see several similarities between SHL and NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad