Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part III On Loan To Finnish WHC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Considering that they already have Khaira, Pakarinen, Hendricks, Laleggia, and Lander in the pressbox for forwards, I don't like his chances of coming back.
You'd suppose the current Oilers bench and reserves should be getting pretty short in the case they'd consider recalling him. Not to mention the logistics of suddenly recalling a player from the other side of the entire planet is probably going to act as a deterrent too. France (and Finland) is a bit farther away than Bakersfield.

I'd say the managements of the Oilers and the Finnish NT have pretty thoroughly discussed what might be the circumstances of such a move. I doubt Team Finland would prefer to use a roster spot on him if he really was, say, something as thin as a Draisatl freak injury away from being recalled. (Not to mention it would be a pretty big F-U to the guys already in the pressbox.)

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
You'd suppose the current Oilers bench and reserves should be getting pretty short in the case they'd consider recalling him. Not to mention the logistics of suddenly recalling a player from the other side of the entire planet is probably going to act as a deterrent too. France (and Finland) is a bit farther away than Bakersfield.

I'd say the managements of the Oilers and the Finnish NT have pretty thoroughly discussed what might be the circumstances of such a move. I doubt Team Finland would prefer to use a roster spot on him if he really was, say, something as thin as a Draisatl freak injury away from being recalled. (Not to mention it would be a pretty big F-U to the guys already in the pressbox.)

dont think Pulju, Oilers nor Team Fin cares about roster spot potentially being wasted in this case. Puljujarvi would a bonus addition even if it is for a couple games. Doubt the Oilers need him during playoffs but if they did they wouldnt be caring about the negative effect on team Fin.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
dont think Pulju, Oilers nor Team Fin cares about roster spot potentially being wasted in this case. Puljujarvi would a bonus addition even if it is for a couple games. Doubt the Oilers need him during playoffs but if they did they wouldnt be caring about the negative effect on team Fin.
I'm sure Pulju doesn't care, and I'm even more sure that the Oilers don't care if such a move would not be nice for Team Finland. Which is a pretty big reason for Team Finland to have done some risk assessment before having him.

Having him around for a couple of round robin games if he could be zapped away at any moment is really not so big of a "bonus" it's worth a wasted roster spot. Those are highly limited in IIHF tournaments, mind you. If they add him and he's recalled, it's not like they can just invite another player in his stead.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Woo, just what I wanted. Much prefer him playing in the WHC rather than sit in the PB in the playoffs. This will be a very good experience for him, and frankly I'm curious to see how he'll do in an international setting against men. Hopefully he can have a big performance to top off this up-and-down season he's had. Would be great for him to finish the season on a bright note and get some confidence going into next year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I'm sure Pulju doesn't care, and I'm even more sure that the Oilers don't care if such a move would not be nice for Team Finland. Which is a pretty big reason for Team Finland to have done some risk assessment before having him.

Having him around for a couple of round robin games if he could be zapped away at any moment is really not so big of a "bonus" it's worth a wasted roster spot. Those are highly limited in IIHF tournaments, mind you. If they add him and he's recalled, it's not like they can just invite another player in his stead.

why not? other teams invite all sorts of NHLers once they lose out in round 1 or round 2 of playoffs.
Why wont FIN just get Pulju on the roster and add someone like Kapanen\Komarov a couple weeks down the road

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
There are a lot of guys from his last year's Kärpät team in the Fin squad & the head coach too so he will probably be pretty comfortable in this team.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
why not? other teams invite all sorts of NHLers once they lose out in round 1 or round 2 of playoffs.
Why wont FIN just get Pulju on the roster and add someone like Kapanen\Komarov a couple weeks down the road
Teams may deliberately keep roster spots open for late additions, but one can't directly replace a player already granted a spot - as in, give that particular spot to someone else. He's gonna count against the team's roster limit even if he's suddenly sent to the other side of the world to the NHL playoffs.

While there's usually a spot or two they spare for those late additions, it's still a juggle. It's simply bad roster management to give one to a player who could get whisked away on a moment's notice. Especially if said player is someone like Puljujärvi who's a nice addition for Team Finland, but far from key one.

Ergo I say that Team Finland has probably double checked with the Oilers management that they're not looking to call him back unless the press box is starting to run seriously empty. Nothing will stop them from doing so even if it isn't, of course, but it's highly likely there's some kind of gentlemen's agreement in place.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think its a good move. TM doesn't trust him enough to play him anyway. Will give JP some games in a comfortable situation to end his year.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Here is my 2016/17 Season Highlights video for Jesse Puljujarvi.

It only features his AHL production.

Here is a link to the video.

Edmonton Prospect Watch

I like what I see. He makes quick decisions with the puck, but something I have to criticize is his shooting technique. He often falls down after shooting, maybe should keep his stick closer to his body. That would help him in tight situations too.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Interesting. I thought they'd recall him and keep him around for the playoffs. Although he can be recalled at any time on this loan, plus he'll be playing in the meantime.

Very interesting, I heard something on ched yesterday after the game that there was a rumour that Puljujarvi and Lander were in town. Hope he has a good tournament.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
As disappointing as Pulju was this year, i see a Draisaitl trajectory for his career if people just have patience for him. Basically two years ago after his 1st kick at the NHL can, Drai was playing for Kelowna in the W playoffs. Pulju didn't have that opportunity - to play with similar aged kids, instead with career pros in the AHL. He wasn't great there either, but I remember thinking Drai was a blown pick in Year 1 too. Now look. Drai still is inconsistent, but TOP TEN IN NHL SCORING. I hope they take their time with Pulju - tell him NOW that he's starting next year in the AHL for at least 10 games - take ALL the pressure off. Let him have some fun and grow up. He'll be good, but can't contribute in this playoffs.

Studz

Jun 20, 2015
City of Champions
As disappointing as Pulju was this year, i see a Draisaitl trajectory for his career if people just have patience for him. Basically two years ago after his 1st kick at the NHL can, Drai was playing for Kelowna in the W playoffs. Pulju didn't have that opportunity - to play with similar aged kids, instead with career pros in the AHL. He wasn't great there either, but I remember thinking Drai was a blown pick in Year 1 too. Now look. Drai still is inconsistent, but TOP TEN IN NHL SCORING. I hope they take their time with Pulju - tell him NOW that he's starting next year in the AHL for at least 10 games - take ALL the pressure off. Let him have some fun and grow up. He'll be good, but can't contribute in this playoffs.

Top ten in NHL scoring and still incosistent. Oxymoron?

What do you consider players not in the top ten in scoring... busts?

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Top ten in NHL scoring and still incosistent. Oxymoron?

What do you consider players not in the top ten in scoring... busts?

He's suggesting that Drai has games that are off where he looks like he's tired/uncertain of where to be/making bad passes, and games where he's on fire. In other words, Drai still has room to improve in consistency and he's already top 10 in scoring.

You can be a lesser scorer and more consistent - for example, I'd say Letestu has been very consistent for us this year. Nothing on Drai's level of contribution, but also he brings the same type of effort every game.

I agree that bring Pulju in slow is the right thing to do, but I don't see why he shouldn't be given a call up with the team after the WHC.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He's suggesting that Drai has games that are off where he looks like he's tired/uncertain of where to be/making bad passes, and games where he's on fire. In other words, Drai still has room to improve in consistency and he's already top 10 in scoring.

You can be a lesser scorer and more consistent - for example, I'd say Letestu has been very consistent for us this year. Nothing on Drai's level of contribution, but also he brings the same type of effort every game.

I agree that bring Pulju in slow is the right thing to do, but I don't see why he shouldn't be given a call up with the team after the WHC.

Letestu is an almost 40 point 4th liner. That's like the Gretzky of 4th liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad