Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part III On Loan To Finnish WHC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He'll be fine. He'll get to play with McDavid next year, put up some points and his confidence with go from there.

His AHL numbers for an 18 year old were quite good.

His AHL numbers are pretty good, but to be honest I was hoping even more. But I do find it promising that considering his ice time his stats in the NHL were actually good. It's just too easy to forget that as he didn't play very much. With regular ice and PP time I would expect his stats to be surprisingly good next year.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I knew that'd be coming. But I didn't quite say threatened. I said that maybe, just maybe, the more experienced players felt somehow strange that there was another teenage star gaining attention (as Jesse did in the few games he played in the 1st line), especially if they felt it started to happen too fast to a guy they didn't really connect to (due to different language etc.). But as I said I don't think that's likely, just a thought. I guess I shouldn't have mentioned McDavid's name there as I didn't find too good words to express how I meant it.

I..............no. This is just absurd. If there's any team in the league which would be okay with teenage stars, it's the friggin Oilers. We've been throwing 18-20 year olds onto the top 6 for years, often with terrible results. Even if they didn't think he was ready, I highly, highly doubt that Eberle, RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl, or Klefbom, who had basically the exact same thing given to them, would harbour any ill will towards Pulju for it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I..............no. This is just absurd. If there's any team in the league which would be okay with teenage stars, it's the friggin Oilers. We've been throwing 18-20 year olds onto the top 6 for years, often with terrible results. Even if they didn't think he was ready, I highly, highly doubt that Eberle, RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl, or Klefbom, who had basically the exact same thing given to them, would harbour any ill will towards Pulju for it.

You understood me a bit wrong, but it's probably all my fault. I mean there is this young-looking guy from the other side of the world, with a big grin and no English skills. He gets promoted to the 1st line and suddenly gets great points, attention in different articles and by fans. Maybe some older players felt it's coming too soon and too easily. They haven't followed Pulju's career so they probably weren't aware of all the hard work he's put before coming to NA. But yes, this probably isn't the case as you said, but maybe there could be something in it.

E: I realize I pretty much repeated my earlier words, but I'll leave it here as I need to go now. I'm sure you are right here.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
You understood me a bit wrong, but it's probably all my fault. I mean there is this young-looking guy from the other side of the world, with a big grin and no English skills. He gets promoted to the 1st line and suddenly gets great points, attention in different articles and by fans. Maybe some older players felt it's coming too soon and too easily. They haven't followed Pulju's career so they probably weren't aware of all the hard work he's put before coming to NA. But yes, this probably isn't the case as you said, but maybe there could be something in it.

E: I realize I pretty much repeated my earlier words, but I'll leave it here as I need to go now. I'm sure you are right here.

You're overthinking it. And i 100% believe it's nowhere near true in any way.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Who in their right mind would call an 18 year old kid a bust already? Usually it takes especially for Finnish players a few seasons to adapt to the NHL game. I think this whole Laine situation has created some unrealistic expectations. People should remember that what Laine did is truly exceptional for a Finnish rookie and that it takes nothing away from Puljujärvi.
It seems that he has some confidence issues right now, maybe because of the culture shock and language barrier. I believe that he will overcome those issues and that he will be put in a situation to succeed because he earned it. Just because he wasn't ready to that as an 18 year old doesn't mean he's a bust. All we need is just a little patience they sang.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Who in their right mind would call an 18 year old kid a bust already? Usually it takes especially for Finnish players a few seasons to adapt to the NHL game. I think this whole Laine situation has created some unrealistic expectations. People should remember that what Laine did is truly exceptional for a Finnish rookie and that it takes nothing away from Puljujärvi.
It seems that he has some confidence issues right now, maybe because of the culture shock and language barrier. I believe that he will overcome those issues and that he will be put in a situation to succeed because he earned it. Just because he wasn't ready to that as an 18 year old doesn't mean he's a bust. All we need is just a little patience they sang.

I would put lots of the negative comments regarding Pulju on ignore. An example would be Leon Draisaitl being a throw in on every trade proposal made one summer here. If you need proof or a laugh go back and look at the trade proposal treads from a couple of summers ago. Pulju will do absolutely fine and in no time he will be a player the rest of the league will say how were they that lucky to get him as well lol!

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Hopefully he can improve enough to let us replace Eberle with him. Get rid of that cap hit and useless play. He's been invisible in the playoffs. Absolute muffin shot, he must have a wrist injury.

WigWam

May 22, 2015
Right now hey need´s a permission to make mistakes without consequences and learn from them. He need´s no benching from every mistake he makes. That´s the only way he´ll get his confidence back.

Jesse on 3rd line today.

22 Sakari Manninen - 10 Roope Hintz - 39 Jesse Puljujärvi

Last edited:

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Probably not going to make team Finland. But quess what. The same thing happened to Ristolainen 2015 and he is doing just fine now. One healthy summer and Pulju will look like another player next year. Now he looks scared and slow with very low confidence.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Eberle wasn't thrown into the top 6, and never had it given to him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Probably not going to make team Finland. But quess what. The same thing happened to Ristolainen 2015 and he is doing just fine now. One healthy summer and Pulju will look like another player next year. Now he looks scared and slow with very low confidence.
Oilers have all the time in the world for him. Look at how long it took Pastarnak to break trough. He'll be OK.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Gotta say.. The strikes against this kid are starting to pile up..

Definitely not the draft+1 year the team would have hoped for.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
God, the discussion around Jesse is almost unbearable to read. He just put up a very respectable season in the AHL for a player of his age and people are already writing him off because he didn't spend the whole season up on the Oilers or something?

The Drai comparison is a perfectly valid one in my opinion. He's already done better in the AHL than Drai did at a comparable age without the experience of playing in NA like Leon had in the WHL and people are 'expecting more'? Well I think you need to temper your expectations because they don't seem very realistic. Acting like anything other than breaking records or immediately earning a spot on the main team is a disappointment..

There's going to be a lot of crow eaten around here pretty soon I imagine. Too many people have been spoiled by McDavid or even guys like Matthews or Laine instantly making their teams rosters.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
God, the discussion around Jesse is almost unbearable to read. He just put up a very respectable season in the AHL for a player of his age and people are already writing him off because he didn't spend the whole season up on the Oilers or something?

The Drai comparison is a perfectly valid one in my opinion. He's already done better in the AHL than Drai did at a comparable age without the experience of playing in NA like Leon had in the WHL and people are 'expecting more'? Well I think you need to temper your expectations because they don't seem very realistic. Acting like anything other than breaking records or immediately earning a spot on the main team is a disappointment..

There's going to be a lot of crow eaten around here pretty soon I imagine. Too many people have been spoiled by McDavid or even guys like Matthews or Laine instantly making their teams rosters.

People have short memories.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Oilers have all the time in the world for him. Look at how long it took Pastarnak to break trough. He'll be OK.

I apologise. English isn't my native language. I tried to say that Puljujarvi doesn't look that great now but he will be more than OK in the future. Didn't meant to downplay him or his future in my post.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Give him a full season in the AHL 17/18 and he will be ready for the top 6 in 18/19

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

Completely agree with everything. One of the only posts in the last probably 5 pages actually worth reading.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Fun fact: Jesse is a whooping 4 months older than this years top prospect Nolan Patrick.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The kid had an injury that hampered his off-season training last year, and only just made his NA debut this year. Can we maybe give him an off-season to work on the deficiencies in his game now that they've been exposed? The kid's work ethic is one of his greatest attributes, lets let him do his thing this off-season before we start worrying about his development?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Gotta say.. The strikes against this kid are starting to pile up..

Definitely not the draft+1 year the team would have hoped for.

Negative Nancy, your over-exaggerating a tad once again.

The kid had to overcome a leg injury he suffered in his draft year and he's still 19 years old. He's showing glimpses of a star in the AHL at the end of the year and he's trying to work on his deficiencies. Where was Draisaitl after his first year? oh, right. In the WHL AND AHL. Guess he's a HUGE bust. :shakehead

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Why is everyone so down on him? Not looking out of place in the NHL and pacing for close to 60 points in the A at age 18 is pretty good no?

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
At this point, with our team playing the way it is, we have all the time in the world to let JP develop.

If we had missed the playoffs and were struggling to produce offence it would be a different story, but as it stands Pulju is just a bonus... an extra shot of expresso in strong coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad