Value of: Jesse "Poolparty" Puljujarvi

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Problem is people like you who have poor reading comprehension. If you can make an attempt to quote what you disagree with from what I actually said rather than what you think I said it would probably make you look less ignorant.
You said Paajarvi was a "horrible pick by the Oilers". I backed it up that you were wrong with multiple sources that he was in fact the 3rd best player in the draft(and they got him at 4th)

Only a complete idiot would label a 19 year old player as a horrible pick.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
This is just not true.

Players who have late growth spurts take some extra time because they have to readjust everything due to the change in height. This does not apply to all tall players.
Puljujarvi was on pace for 15 goals with 13:22 TOI and no powerplay. If he gets powerplay time and 15 TOI, he will score 20+

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Puljujarvi was on pace for 15 goals with 13:22 TOI and no powerplay. If he gets powerplay time and 15 TOI, he will score 20+

He had 12 goals and 2 were on the PP.

Overall, in terms of even strength goal scoring rates he's about on the level of Jujhar Khaira.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Overall, in terms of even strength goal scoring rates he's about on the level of Jujhar Khaira.
He was only given powerplay time at the end of the season, with players like Cammalleri and Strome, on one of the worst powerplays in the NHL. He was asked to play in front of the next instead of using his fantastic one timer at top of the circle. Also, he only had 2 PP points the whole season.

Example of his slapshot:

Also, he is a much better goal scorer than Kharia. If you are seriously going to argue this, then I would suggest for you to watch stop watching hockey. Puljujarvi is faster, a better shooter, and they are both the same size. Advance stats suggest many things that are simply not true.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
He was only given powerplay time at the end of the season, with players like Cammalleri and Strome, on one of the worst powerplays in the NHL. He was asked to play in front of the next instead of using his fantastic one timer at top of the circle. Also, he only had 2 PP points the whole season.

Example of his slapshot:

Also, he is a much better goal scorer than Kharia. If you are seriously going to argue this, then I would suggest for you to watch stop watching hockey. Puljujarvi is faster, a better shooter, and they are both the same size. Advance stats suggest many things that are simply not true.

Even strength goal rates aren't advanced stats. Puljujarvi ranks around 130 or so among NHLers who played at least 500 minutes.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Even strength goal rates aren't advanced stats. Puljujarvi ranks around 130 or so among NHLers who played at least 500 minutes.
Still, Puljujarvi is a better goal scorer than Kharia so the stat is flawed. Puljujarvi spends 42.2% of the time playing with bottom 6 players or RNH (10.5%).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Nobody and I mean nobody, inside or outside the organization thinks Jujhar Khaira and Puljujarvi are equal NHLers. Poolparty has a lot more talent. Just give him time to develop.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You said Paajarvi was a "horrible pick by the Oilers". I backed it up that you were wrong with multiple sources that he was in fact the 3rd best player in the draft(and they got him at 4th)

I agree on the choice, but his hockey IQ needs to improve. Oilers need better coaching or he can be a loss ie. Yakupov. Great potential, but ruined by terrible coaching.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Any idea in Burakovsky +?

Burakovsky has history with McDavid. They had chemistry as linemates when juniors.

Caps get cap space and they like size. Sizey kid with upside.

Both might benefit of new surroundings.

Whats the plus, or do you hang up? Edit. We wouldnt be looking to add much though, maybe a blevel d prospect as we have plenty of those.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Nobody and I mean nobody, inside or outside the organization thinks Jujhar Khaira and Puljujarvi are equal NHLers. Poolparty has a lot more talent. Just give him time to develop.

I didn't say they were. I guy I replied to tried to make it seem like Puljujarvi produced more than he did last season or that the numbers were somewhat impressive. They weren't.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I didn't say they were. I guy I replied to tried to make it seem like Puljujarvi produced more than he did last season or that the numbers were somewhat impressive. They weren't.

They’re far from concerning, though.

From an ES g/60 perspective, Puljujarvi produced at .732.

That’s better than names like Marner, Pearson, Dubois, Bailey, Kreider, Pavelski, etc. Give the kid a chance.

Reactions: ManitobaKid

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Many people thought Blake Wheeler was bust too early in his career. The thing is bigger players usually take longer to develop. He was a 2nd line player in his first couple of seasons in the league.

Puljujarvi was on pace for 15 goals with 13:22 TOI and no powerplay
I don't know if Wheeler was considered a bust or what the opinion of him was. Or if the opinion of him choosing to leave the Coyotes was tainting him. He seemed to do well statistically and I don't know if he was considered over valued in his draft class looking what was taken after him. 21 goals and 45 points in his rookie year on a strong team although he was 22 that's not bad.

I don't know if that's a fair comparison.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

How many players in that draft class would you take over hi right now? The BJs seemed to disagree with the experts. I can go on but I would just be repeating myself I will let you find it and practice reading.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What's the point in trading him if his value is lower than the expected return? Keep him, let him develop, and don't panic because your 20 year old didn't immediately come into the league as a superstar.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He shouldn't be moved at all tbh. A 20 year old 2 way player coming from Europe almost always needs seasoning before becoming an impact guy. While Imho I see him topping out as a 2nd-3rd line player with better than average defence and possibly topping out as a 50pt player. Think Mike Fisher, those guys carry good value when they hit their prime. For the sake of argument though, I'd offer a mid-late 1st, a b level prospect, and an nhl capable player

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Getting Magnus Paajarvi vibes here real hard.

Magnus has zero offensive creativity and is/was a terrible playmaker.

If any JP is being underrated as a playmaker because he was sold at the draft as sniper which he is not.

Same with Taylor Hall... he’s also an above average playmaker/pass. Everybody sees him as a fast crash bang shooter only.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
No reason to move Poolparty now as he is growing into the player we need at RW. He fits the age group of our roster and is developing fine right now. Hater can go hate somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad