Value of: Jesse "Poolparty" Puljujarvi

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's an ignorant comment. First off the marlies are a fairly new team. If you remember they used to be in St. John's. as a leaf fan I've been in love with the marlies since they came to Toronto. Its affordable hockey, so I go all the time, and the team has been tacked since Kadri was drafted. How many AHL games did you go to this year. I went o 4 season games, 2 playoffs and 1 Calder. And it was a slow year for me

There isn’t an AHL team within 500km of me in any direction, so zero. :laugh: as for varying levels junior hockey, dozens.

They’ve been in Toronto since 2005. That’s not fairly new anymore.

The point is every Leaf fan thinks every member of the Marlies has tripled in value and I don’t remember any other fan base having such insane valuations of their prospects based on an AHL title.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
There isn’t an AHL team within 500km of me in any direction, so zero. :laugh: as for varying levels junior hockey, dozens.

They’ve been in Toronto since 2005. That’s not fairly new anymore.

The point is every Leaf fan thinks every member of the Marlies has tripled in value and I don’t remember any other fan base having such insane valuations of their prospects based on an AHL title.

You’re really something else. The ONLY players that leaf fans have been truly talking about in regards to the marlies is Johnsson and Liljegren.

Rightfully so. Johnsson won MVP with the Calder Cup, and Liljegren had one of the most successful 18 year old seasons for an AHL dmen. For someone who likes to talk about up and coming young players it’s amazing how bitter you are. You cannot give an ounce of credit to non Oiler players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
You’re really something else. The ONLY players that leaf fans have been truly talking about in regards to the marlies is Johnsson and Liljegren.

Rightfully so. Johnsson won MVP with the Calder Cup, and Liljegren had one of the most successful 18 year old seasons for an AHL dmen. For someone who likes to talk about up and coming young players it’s amazing how bitter you are. You cannot give an ounce of credit to non Oiler players.

I’m something else because I don’t want to trade a former fourth overall coming off his 19 year old season for a nearly 24 year old that’s played 9 NHL games and a low first round pick?

Every damn time.

‘Toronto offers such and such lowball’

‘You offered him?! No way! Edmonton can have such and such even LOWER lowball!’

It frankly has very little to do with Johnsson. He’s looking like a very nice 7th rounder and I hope he carves out an NHL career from himself. It’s the fact that 98% of Leaf fans on this site are totally and utterly incapable of looking at any trade proposal from any angle whatsoever that is not completely slanted in their favour.

Johnsson had a nice run. The whole Marlies team did, and congrats to all of them. I want ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with any member of the Marlies - if the cost is Puljujarvi.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Would maybe be interested in him coming to Dallas in a deal. Little more Chiarelli-Nill trade action? Yes please.

Seriously though, Honka+ for him. Not sure what that + would be but don't really know what Puljujarvi's value sits at right now and don't know what Oilers fans want in return. Definitely would take more than Honka I'd assume, but then again it is Chiarelli.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would maybe be interested in him coming to Dallas in a deal. Little more Chiarelli-Nill trade action? Yes please.

Seriously though, Honka+ for him. Not sure what that + would be but don't really know what Puljujarvi's value sits at right now and don't know what Oilers fans want in return. Definitely would take more than Honka I'd assume, but then again it is Chiarelli.

I honestly don’t think Honka cracks our lineup on a regular basis - we’ve already got Benning on the third pair right side and I don’t think Honka is ready for more than that.

Aside from that I don’t love the value - hasn’t Honka regressed a fair bit?

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Oh yes, Toronto fans’ crowning glory - an AHL championship. Most of you have never been to a Marlies game in your lives, don’t pretend like you’re a fan now.

Weird, I don’t remember this level of arrogance from Detroit fans.

Keep on trying to buy low every high value player in the league, it’s going great so far, dear.

High value? Based on what? Draft status? Yak says hello.

Reactions: Cubs2024WSChamps

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I honestly don’t think Honka cracks our lineup on a regular basis - we’ve already got Benning on the third pair right side and I don’t think Honka is ready for more than that.

Aside from that I don’t love the value - hasn’t Honka regressed a fair bit?

Honka would quarterback your top PP unit and strive if given a legitimate opportunity. I'd expect him to slide right into your top 4. I'd say he's as much of a risk as Puljujarvi is at this point. Honka hasn't been given a fair chance yet, but maybe it's not the best time to trade him anyways. We should probably hang onto him and see how he does next year, and with Nichushkin coming back, either he or Puljujarvi would eventually find themselves on the 3rd line. Not ideal.

Maybe Honka isn't the dman you guys need anyways

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And Leivo’s a top six forward and Kapanen’s a top six forward and Aaltonen’s a top nine centre and Liljegren is a surefire top pairing defencemen and Carrick+Bracco+1st is a totally fine and reasonable package for 95% of the good defencemen in the league.

Go away. We aren’t trading Puljujarvi for Anton Lander 2.0 and a low 1st.
"you can't say no to us, we're saying no to you!"
Leafs don't make the trade. No need to leap to Edmonton's defense and say you don't make it either

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Honka would quarterback your top PP unit and strive if given a legitimate opportunity. I'd expect him to slide right into your top 4. I'd say he's as much of a risk as Puljujarvi is at this point. Honka hasn't been given a fair chance yet, but maybe it's not the best time to trade him anyways. We should probably hang onto him and see how he does next year, and with Nichushkin coming back, either he or Puljujarvi would eventually find themselves on the 3rd line. Not ideal.

Maybe Honka isn't the dman you guys need anyways

Honka should not be in anyone’s top four right now. Top four positioning requires him to be able to play 22 minutes a night in all situations, not the 13 he had last year.

We do need a PPQB, but I’d rather not give up Puljujarvi to get one. We need RW’s just as badly and I’d suggest JP has a fair bit more value than Honka right now, even though neither one has progressed as their teams might have hoped. Lots of time for both to find their way though.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes
Feb 24, 2017
Go look at Sean Couturier's growth into the player he was this past season and you can see why Oiler fans are not interested in moving Puljujarvi
I like this guy
He writes the dude’s name
You look at it just once letter by letter and it’s actually quite simple.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Honka should not be in anyone’s top four right now. Top four positioning requires him to be able to play 22 minutes a night in all situations, not the 13 he had last year.

We do need a PPQB, but I’d rather not give up Puljujarvi to get one. We need RW’s just as badly and I’d suggest JP has a fair bit more value than Honka right now, even though neither one has progressed as their teams might have hoped. Lots of time for both to find their way though.

Then Edmonton may end up with Torey Krug. There is chatter that he might be traded, and a deal revolving around Krug and the tenth overall pick might be something that happens between now and draft day. Boston needs right-shot RWs, but I doubt that Pool Party would be part of any trade (and, as you said, the Oilers also need RWs).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think the Oilers should hang on to Puljujarvi. It is for the same reason Blues fans want to hang on to Kyrou. Both teams need RHS RW's, and neither team has a reason to panic. Let the prospects develop.

Reactions: TFHockey

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
JP was top 4 on the Oilers in P/60 and G/60. His numbers look low because he was given 0 PP time and when he was he was put in as a bumper instead of a one time spot (Ovi's office) which would best utilize his tools. He also had possesion numbers at the top end for the team.

He is already scoring at the rate of a top 6 F while playing with sub-par teammates most of the time. If he was given top 6 minutes on a line that didn't have lucic on it he would already have a 20 goal, 50 point season. For some reason the coach doesn't trust him, language barrier? However watching him play and looking at underlying numbers he is already a very responsible player.

I think given the right opportunity and usage he will show why he was the consensus #3 pick and will push the 30 goal mark in the next couple years.

The Oilers coaching staff has brutally mismanaged his ice time in favour of worse options such as Drake Cagulia and Lucic who had 4th line scoring rates at evens all year. Cags was a black hole possession wise and even brought Drai and McDavids goal share to the sub 50% mark which is insane when they were 55-60% without him.

TLDR: He has all the tools of a top line winger (size, speed, vision, shot) but needs to get used as such and should be on the top PP unit. If given the chance he will put up 20+G 50+P based on his /60 numbers from last year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
JP was top 4 on the Oilers in P/60 and G/60. His numbers look low because he was given 0 PP time and when he was he was put in as a bumper instead of a one time spot (Ovi's office) which would best utilize his tools. He also had possesion numbers at the top end for the team.

TLDR: He has all the tools of a top line winger (size, speed, vision, shot) but needs to get used as such and should be on the top PP unit. If given the chance he will put up 20+G 50+P based on his /60 numbers from last year.

According to Corsica, Puljujarvi (1.26 P/60) was #13 in 5v5 P/60 behind Auvitu (1.28) and tied with Slepyshev (1.26). I'd love to see where you are getting those numbers from. I think you have repeated this before with zero evidence.

McDavid: 3.2 P/60
Rattie: 2.49 P/60
Draisaitl: 2.3 P/60
RNH: 1.84 P/60
Maroon: 1.80 P/60
Cammalleri: 1.76 P/60
Aberg: 1.47 P/60
Strome: 1.41 P/60
Khaira: 1.39 P/60
Lucic: 1.37 P/60
Kassian: 1.30 P/60
Auvitu: 1.28 P/60
Puljujvarvi: 1.26 P/60
Slepyshev: 1.26 P/60
Caggiula: 1.17 P/60

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
He's actually been tracking pretty well in his development. It was a massive adjustment for him coming over and he's showing signs of improvement more and more. He didn't get grade A linemates or PP minutes. And has been adjusting to the smaller ice surface better. Things like driving to then stopping at the net rather than taking the softer ice and curling around to the half boards. He upped his physical play more and more as the season wore on, starting playing through guys than around them but is fast enough to go around too, He also starting showing flashes of a good shot, but could improve his puck handling and distribution, I think his sticks currently too long.

He's got all the tools and is when looking at other players who have come over in recent years and struggled early then blossomed he's still looking like he can be a top six 50-80 point winger.

Too early for oilers to sell on the guy.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Puljujarvi will never meet expectations.

He might end up being a 50 point guy at some point in his career but he doesn't have the IQ to reach his potential.

These sound like the kind of words you feed to someone after the player makes him look like a donkey

Reactions: TFHockey

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

He is already scoring at the rate of a top 6 F while playing with sub-par teammates most of the time. If he was given top 6 minutes on a line that didn't have lucic on it he would already have a 20 goal, 50 point season. For some reason the coach doesn't trust him, language barrier? However watching him play and looking at underlying numbers he is already a very responsible player.

I think given the right opportunity and usage he will show why he was the consensus #3 pick and will push the 30 goal mark in the next couple years.

The Oilers coaching staff has brutally mismanaged his ice time in favour of worse options such as Drake Cagulia and Lucic who had 4th line scoring rates at evens all year. Cags was a black hole possession wise and even brought Drai and McDavids goal share to the sub 50% mark which is insane when they were 55-60% without him.

This post has hockey fanatic all over it.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Hasn't impressed me at all. Actually he's dipped quite a bit for me. Habs will pass a 2nd for him but that's about it.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Fun how you can tell lot of Leafs fans have been in this thread, when i see posters quoting something i can't see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad