Recalled/Assigned: Jesse Blacker [Demoted]

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I might get burned for this, but his skating style reminds me of Subban. They both have a similar jump to their step. Not saying he's anywhere near as good, or ever will be though.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I might get burned for this, but his skating style reminds me of Subban. They both have a similar jump to their step. Not saying he's anywhere near as good, or ever will be though.

You might get burned, but it will only be by idiots.

There is nothing wrong with comparing skating styles.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's a bundle of energy. Not the biggest guy but plays with alot of jam. Turnovers are not his friend, as are unnecessary pinches. However, those are all aspects of the game that can be ironed out by coaching and development. Not sure if he'll get a game in during this call-up, but it's a nice little "cookie" for him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Some are reading too much into this. Some have it nailed. Simple reward, he won't even see the ice. Lets him practice with the big club, maybe gives incentive to get to the NHL level.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
He reminds me of Travis Hamonic in a lot of ways.

*Random HFBoards poster waltzes into Leafs forum and sees this post, and then posts

Dumb poster: "LOL are you kidding me? Let me know when Blacker puts up numbers like Hamonic in the AHL, let alone the NHL. Hamonic > Blacker, AINEC"

Sergei Berezin: "Whoa whoa, slow down there, I wasn't saying that Blacker = Hamonic.."

*Dumb poster leaves Leafs board without reading Berezin's response - heads to his own team's board

*Meanwhile, in dumb poster's teams' "Around the league thread":

Dumb Poster: "Talk about blue and white goggles...Leafs fans think Jesse Blacker is a Subban/Hamonic clone"

Another Poster: "This is why Leafs fans are hated on this board: they lack reality and overvalue their prospects to the max"

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
*Random HFBoards poster waltzes into Leafs forum and sees this post, and then posts

Dumb poster: "LOL are you kidding me? Let me know when Blacker puts up numbers like Hamonic in the AHL, let alone the NHL. Hamonic > Blacker, AINEC"

Sergei Berezin: "Whoa whoa, slow down there, I wasn't saying that Blacker = Hamonic.."

*Dumb poster leaves Leafs board without reading Berezin's response - heads to his own team's board

Dumb Poster: "Talk about blue and white goggles...Leafs fans think Jesse Blacker is a Subban/Hamonic clone"

Another Poster: "This is why Leafs fans are hated on this board: they lack reality and overvalue their prospects to the max"

haha you're right... I should've elaborated.

WildBoy

Apr 2, 2012
Grimsby, Ontario
I really hope Blacker is in the lineup next game I think he would look a lot better out there then Kostka he needs to be back in the ahl when you can't even get a shot off in ot on a 2 on 1 my god just brutal

JMcLeaf

I had similar thoughts when I watched him in junior

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He got valuable experience and knows what he should work on. I think he will be back some day.
Me, too. I don't think it is meant as a slight to Holzer in the least. He is right where he belongs for now and this move gives us the opportunity to maybe get a glimpse of what Blacker is all about. Maybe a nice little reward for his hard work with the Marlies.

mikebel111*

congrats to blacker on first call up
nice reward for him
he might get a game in today, since kostka looked terrible yesterday, I could even see blacker come in for gardiner
really high on this guy, was a late bloomer, and has had a great year with marlies
dark horse to make leafs next season IMO

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Raw talent, character, leadership, and mindset have always been there. Just needs to round out his defensive game.

Hopefully he continues to develop at this pace, and makes Percy/Finn expendable for use in upgrading our forward group

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
He reminds me of Travis Hamonic in a lot of ways.

I could agree with this post. I think having him practice with Carlyle a few games will do him well. He didn't get a call for camp but this in part will make up for it and will let him know what he needs to work on for next year. His play with the Marlies of late (last few games) was definitely warranting a call up (some may argue more then Gardiner, but that won't be me).

Who knows, Kostka had a pretty garbage game last night (especially offensively), maybe Randy will give him a shot.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
Not going to make excuses for Holzer but we got a glimsp of his potential early on and he was good, it is important to note, he faced the highest quality of competition for D men, second to only Phaneuf. Wonder why people keep slagging the guy when he is a rookie, he's facing tougher players than Gardiner 10 fold.

Was by no means slagging on him; just feel he needs more time and itll be good to reward/give chances to some of the other young promising players on the Marlies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

:laugh:

This is gold. Well done.

As for the Hamonic...I'm not too sure really.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I hope that Blacker gets a game or two, with some sheltered minutes. He then gets the chance to have a discussion with coaching, and they let him know what he has to work on for the next year or so. He can be a valuable asset for us down the road, but I certainly don't expect him to be much more than a role player. He has some decent skills though, you never know how these people will develop, and much of the progress from here is mental as it is natural ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad