Recalled/Assigned: Jesse Blacker [Demoted]

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
Blacker's skating has always been his stand out as far as I can remember from the times I've seen him, admittedly it's not that much.

That being said, I hope he finds a spot on the team and becomes a much needed fluid skating shut down defenseman in the future. He's probably not there yet, but he's only what? 22? 23?

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Blacker's skating has always been his stand out as far as I can remember from the times I've seen him, admittedly it's not that much.

That being said, I hope he finds a spot on the team and becomes a much needed fluid skating shut down defenseman in the future. He's probably not there yet, but he's only what? 22? 23?
21 turning 22 in a month.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The only reason Liles was playing in the first place was to show case him for a trade as sitting in the pressbox for 12 straight games wasn't helping as the trade deadline approaches.

Now that he is hurt the Nonis\Carlyle can go back to building the team for the future and giving players like Blacker a look to see what they have here.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Blacker had a bad start to his season (and a rough rookie season) but has been very solid the past couple of months. Some games better than Ranger, some games better than Gardiner.

I don't think he's ready yet but he is playing confident hockey right now.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I love how Holzer was being used like he's some defensive wizard and essentially stole Gardiner's ice time. Now we get Blacker over him.

Please change Carlyle, shows you Nonis sees what the fans do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Holzer did well at the beginning. He is a bottom 6 D guy. Give him a f***ing break. He got thrown in the fire and got burned. Won't be the last rookie to have that happen to him.

I am sure Holzer is not the only Defenceman in the NHL to have been burned by Crosby. You'd think he was reading comments of him here of late.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I love how Holzer was being used like he's some defensive wizard and essentially stole Gardiner's ice time. Now we get Blacker over him.

Please change Carlyle, shows you Nonis sees what the fans do.

Blacker is a recallable emergency player, you don't get burned by bringing him up or sending him down, also Holzer needs to stay in one place and just continue developing, I would be surprised he even gets into any games unless we have injuries.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Blacker is a recallable emergency player, you don't get burned by bringing him up or sending him down, also Holzer needs to stay in one place and just continue developing, I would be surprised he even gets into any games unless we have injuries.

Blacker is not an emergency call up.

He's an AHL call up. Just like Holzer.

I agree that they should keep Korbinian in one place and develop him.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Blacker is not an emergency call up.

He's an AHL call up. Just like Holzer.

I agree that they should keep Korbinian in one place and develop him.

He's here due to the Liles injury, if any d man got hurt in our warm up, he would up, he is only playing tonight incase someone gets hurt. He's here more for precaution than merit of being called up over a roster player.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
He's here due to the Liles injury, if any d man got hurt in our warm up, he would up, he is only playing tonight incase someone gets hurt. He's here more for precaution than merit of being called up over a roster player.

Yes but I'm not sure what you meant by we wouldn't get "dinged" by calling up Blacker, rather than Holzer.

They're in the same situation, contractually.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The only reason Liles was playing in the first place was to show case him for a trade as sitting in the pressbox for 12 straight games wasn't helping as the trade deadline approaches.

Now that he is hurt the Nonis\Carlyle can go back to building the team for the future and giving players like Blacker a look to see what they have here.

Exactly I hope Liles is back soon, so we can continue with him being showcased!

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
This thread seems to have so misplaced expectations.

Blacker did not make the team out of camp (did he even get an invite?) and the Leafs are a playoff team right now. There's very little chance that he's going to play unless there's an emergency in the next week or so.

This year is not like years past where guys like Ashton and Colborne got a look cause the team sucked.

I'll be shocked if Blacker hits the ice over Kostka. He'll get to practice with the big club for a week and pad his bank account, that's about it.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What if this was a move to get Morgan Rielly some more playing time? Blacker and Rielly play a similar style except Rielly is better in my opinion. Just some food for thought. Highly doubt thats why the move was made, but you never know.

GenericFan2*

Happy for J Blacks, hope he does some damage. I'm pumped to see him play in the big league. (y)

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Whether he plays or not, I hope he soaks in the experience. It will be good for him and also give him the confidence to work even harder when he does return to the AHL.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Talk about having no faith in our prospect. Holzer still needs a lot of work, but he did a pretty good job. Randy's old-fashioned coaching style where he expects a physical defender, who happens to be a rookie, to play a good transition game is just madness.

I still think that Holzer has a career, but he needs to work on his first pass, his skating and get more stronger. And it amazes me that there are bears over here who actually want the Leafs to tank?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Obviously someone is going to be traded from our surplus of D--Men at deadline.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gardner is moved

For a center or for a right handed D?

Honestly with the emergence of Kadri I think the Leafs biggest need is a top pairing D. ;)

Anyway, congratulations to Blacker. Hopefully we get to see him in a game or two.

Throwing him in against Boston is kind've a trial by fire if it happens.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
Kid gets something like ~11,000 for the call-up. Realistically, he'll be up for a few games (3-4 I'd guess) and collect 30-40G's.

Nice little pay day for him. He's probably not gonna get to play but he gets to practice with the big club, see what it takes, and hopefully he can spend some of that extra money on off season training.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
When I was down to Syracuse a few weeks ago and took in the Marlies game, Blacker was the best player on the ice until he got hurt half way through the game. Nice wheels and had some rushes with some beauty moves. An underrated Leaf prospect imo. All the talk has been about Rielly and Gardiner and rightfully so, but all the other talk has been around Percy and Finn. I know one game is a small sample but dont count out this guy!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad