Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's useless when you don't bring in all the other qualities/attributes of that player.

Again, my point was that you can have big players that are soft and small players that are tough.

Sure, I think we all understand that. But what happens when Gallagher meets up with Tavares?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That doesn't really like... have anything to do with what youre saying though.

Thornton came in at 6 foot 4 and 195 pounds
Bergeron was 6 and 170 pounds
Tarasenko was 5'11 and 185
Kuzy was 5 10 and 170

It doesnt really matter, men dont stop growing at 17.
Mark Scheifele was 6'1.75 182. He is often refered here to be at a similar development path as Kotkaniemi. Pretty sure Jeff Carter and Eric Staal were also drafted at around 6'3 and 180.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
At the combine those guys weighed in at an average of 206lbs. That’s about 20 lbs heavier than Kotka came in at.
Lmao weight as to be the most overrated stats in hockey, it’s beyond me, more muscle or bigger doesn’t stronger and most of the time it means slower. A player is should only work on strenght training and slowing get bigger as he mature than just doing hypertrophy for the sake of it! Mcdavid is a f***ing twig, will leave this here.

Reactions: Belial

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Sure, I think we all understand that. But what happens when Gallagher meets up with Tavares?
First of all, that's a weird example as they will probably meet extremely rare in a game...

Gallagher usually battles against much bigger defensemen out there and somehow manages to do quite well even if he's small... And that's exactly my point.

I don't think anyone would ever call Gallagher soft even if he's small...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmao weight as to be the most overrated stats in hockey, it’s beyond me, more muscle or bigger doesn’t stronger and most of the time it means slower. A player is should only work on strenght training and slowing get bigger as he mature than just doing hypertrophy for the sake of it! Mcdavid is a ****ing twig, will leave this here.

But Kotkaniemi does not skate like McDavid. It's a measure of what a prospect needs to work at if he wants to be successful. Kotkaniemi is modeling his game after Barkov, not McDavid.

Do you think Kotkaniemi can play like Barkov if he stays his same size? I seriously doubt that Kotkaniemi and Poehling think weight is a not factor. Poehling alone gained 15 pounds and his results from his 1st and 2nd year in the NCAA were night and day. He himself said his extra weight and strength helped him have a good year.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Well the seeds have been sewn

When Julien and MB throw Kotkaniemi on the wing for three seasons to develop him and then never successfully move him to C, the defenders will always have this moment to point to

"Well his coach put him on LW of Koivu in a charity game. If they couldn't trust him at C in a meaningless game then how could we trust him there at the NHL level?!"

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First of all, that's a weird example as they will probably meet extremely rare in a game...

Gallagher usually battles against much bigger defensemen out there and somehow manages to do quite well even if he's small... And that's exactly my point.

I don't think anyone would ever call Gallagher soft even if he's small...

Agreed. But it's measuring apples to apples but one apple is bigger than the other ;). I'm not comparing a big orange (patch) to a small apple (Gallagher)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Agreed. But it's measuring apples to apples but one apple is bigger than the other ;). I'm not comparing a big orange (patch) to a small apple (Gallagher)

I don't even think Max is as soft as people think around here, to be honest, it often depends on the style of your play IMO.

Gallagher is a net crasher and he was a net crasher for his entire career... Of course, he will always be in the action and tagged as a hard worker and stuff... But Pacioretty is tagged as a floater while he always tries to get open for a decent shot opening...

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
But Kotkaniemi does not skate like McDavid. It's a measure of what a prospect needs to work at if he wants to be successful. Kotkaniemi is modeling his game after Barkov, not McDavid.

Do you think Kotkaniemi can play like Barkov if he stays his same size? I seriously doubt that Kotkaniemi and Poehling think weight is a not factor. Poehling alone gained 15 pounds and his results from his 1st and 2nd year in the NCAA were night and day. He himself said his extra weight and strength helped him have a good year.
Kotkaniemi shouldn’t mold in any player, he should pick his own best attributes and be the best player he can be. Lets be real no one skates like mcdavid also kotkaniemis skating issues is overblowed, he has good speed just wierd looking stride wich can be very easily fixed, his real issue is his balance and lower body strenght! Getting bigger doesn’t solve, getting stronger does. Getting stronger while very slowly gaining weight will make his skating better and will overall perform better in my opinion. Like i said, mcdavid is a twig, he’s still very strong on the puck in one va one battle!

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
so... what does that have to do with anything ?

What DGS wants you to do is make no negative claims about Poehling (because he's big and American) because his upside is limitless and no one should ever dare limit it.

While you cannot make any positive claims about Kotkaniemi (funny name and European) because his upside is limited and no one should dare accept he has more physical growth to come.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
So he's at 1G + 4A in 4 games so far with Assat. (Tied for the league lead in the Liiga.)

Am I the only one thinking that with his pre-season underway, he'll come in at the Habs camp and likely blow everyone out of the water?

I hope they make the smart move in sending him back after 9 games, but I have doubts they will.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Lmao weight as to be the most overrated stats in hockey, it’s beyond me, more muscle or bigger doesn’t stronger and most of the time it means slower. A player is should only work on strenght training and slowing get bigger as he mature than just doing hypertrophy for the sake of it! Mcdavid is a ****ing twig, will leave this here.

McLegend isn't a twig, not even close.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What DGS wants you to do is make no negative claims about Poehling (because he's big and American) because his upside is limitless and no one should ever dare limit it.

While you cannot make any positive claims about Kotkaniemi (funny name and European) because his upside is limited and no one should dare accept he has more physical growth to come.
LMAO dude you are so blind.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So he's at 1G + 4A in 4 games so far with Assat. (Tied for the league lead in the Liiga.)

Am I the only one thinking that with his pre-season underway, he'll come in at the Habs camp and likely blow everyone out of the water?

I hope they make the smart move in sending him back after 9 games, but I have doubts they will.

No way he makes the team, we already have too many bodies.

He will get sent back to Finland.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Let's play up drama between Kotkaniemi and Poehling.

You're only allowed to like one player.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
No way he makes the team, we already have too many bodies.

He will get sent back to Finland.

Let's hope so.

I'm just thinking that he may take advantage of the fact that some of the other guys will be slightly rusty from having the summer off which will give him a good start to the camp.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Let's play up drama between Kotkaniemi and Poehling.

You're only allowed to like one player.

The drama should be what will the Habs do with Danault if they both pan out and one of DLR/Peca/Vedjemo/Another of the gadzillion Cs they just drafted/Hughes next year come in as well.

1) Hughes / Kotkaniemi
2) Hughes / Kotkaniemi
3) Poehling
4) Vedjemo
Extra) DLR

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Let's hope so.

I'm just thinking that he may take advantage of the fact that some of the other guys will be slightly rusty from having the summer off which will give him a good start to the camp.
Even if he impresses I still think he will get cut, all this Bergevin trying to save his job is complete BS for me. His moves are not suggesting this at all...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
While time will tell about wether this was the right pick at #3, I maintain that he was not the best player available at that spot and it won’t take long for this to become obvious.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The drama should be what will the Habs do with Danault if they both pan out and one of DLR/Peca/Vedjemo/Another of the gadzillion Cs they just drafted/Hughes next year come in as well.

1) Hughes / Kotkaniemi
2) Hughes / Kotkaniemi
3) Poehling
4) Vedjemo
Extra) DLR

It's the Habs:

Hughes-Danault-Gallagher
Kotkaniemi-Plekanec-Domi
Poehling-Drouin-Lehkonen
Olofsson-DLR-Deslauriers

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
While time will tell about wether this was the right pick at #3, I maintain that he was not the best player available at that spot and it won’t take long for this to become obvious.

But you're actually contradicting yourself in your post... Time will tell or it won't take long? Decide yourself...

Reactions: NotProkofievian
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad