Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This whole big vs small thing is useless IMO.

You can be big and soft/weak and you can be small and stiff/strong.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be honest, KotK is kinda scrawny and he needs to bulk up, which is my main concern with him flip floppin between NA and Europe for three months now... Let him grow and grow big and hell come and dominate the game.

That is the discussion... What size he will top out at and he does stand to be a 210 lbs type center who can protect the puck down low and cause havic. His skating will never be elite level so that's how he is going to provide value as a top 2C in the NHL in the future.

What size do you think he tops out at?

Poehling for example put on 15 lbs of muscle in 12 months since his draft year. He is not stupid, he knows he needs to be stronger and I think Kotkaniemi knows this as well. He is likely being told this by his mentors as well.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Wheres that vid again ? I seem to recal two 45's on each side, which would be 135 lbs.

It's a blue and a yellow, making 90kg.

He's using Leoko weights which use the standard green, yellow, blue, red colour coding. There's a green disc in the background.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The goal posts have just completely moved in this discussion. The discussion is the likelihood that Kotkaniemi becomes as strong as that Draistl/Kopitar/Barkov group.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
crazy fins and their crazy coloured plates:

I think that's 185lbs. Those blues are obviously lighter than the greys, prolly did a warmup with 95 before throwing the 45s on.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This whole big vs small thing is useless IMO.

You can be big and soft/weak and you can be small and stiff/strong.

It's not useless... Caps just won the cup with a team full of skaters with size. They were extremely hard to deal with. They had size/skill/skating in their top 6 and their bottom 6 also had size and skating with some skill.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The goal posts have just completely moved in this discussion. The discussion is the likelihood that Kotkaniemi becomes as strong as that Draistl/Kopitar/Barkov group.

Here's what you said, which I laughed at:

Could happen sure, but you are essentially asking a scrawny player with below average strength to beast up into one of the strongest players in the game... Poehling is much more on track to be that type of beast.

He's not scrawny with below average strength. You have been proven wrong before you even made the statement.

Consider yourself now brought up to speed. You're welcome.

Reactions: Acadien86

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Here's what you said, which I laughed at:

He's not scrawny with below average strength. You have been proven wrong before you even made the statement.

Consider yourself now brought up to speed. You're welcome.
I'm not saying for his age, I'm saying for the NHL. If he stepped onto NHL ice, he'd be a weak scrawny player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I say there is a 75% chance he is 90% as strong as Drai/Kopitar/Barkov. Kid is still growing and he will fill in. Just depends on how much he trains and works out to be as strong as he can be.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not saying for his age, I'm saying for the NHL. If he stepped onto NHL ice, he'd be a weak scrawny player.

The average age of an NHL player is 27 years old. No shit he'd be weaker than the average player today. You're talking about the probability that he'll become a really strong player in the future. What do you think is more relevant to make that prediction: his relative strength compared to his age cohort, or his relative strength compared to the average NHL player today?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The average age of an NHL player is 27 years old. No **** he'd be weaker than the average player today. You're talking about the probability that he'll become a really strong player in the future. What do you think is more relevant to make that prediction: his relative strength compared to his age cohort, or his relative strength compared to the average NHL player today?
This is what happens when folks jump into the middle of conversations...

Answer me this, is he likely to get into the realm of Drai, Barkov, Kopitar in regards to strength on the ice, yes or no?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That is the discussion... What size he will top out at and he does stand to be a 210 lbs type center who can protect the puck down low and cause havic. His skating will never be elite level so that's how he is going to provide value as a top 2C in the NHL in the future.

What size do you think he tops out at?

Poehling for example put on 15 lbs of muscle in 12 months since his draft year. He is not stupid, he knows he needs to be stronger and I think Kotkaniemi knows this as well. He is likely being told this by his mentors as well.
Anybody whos serious about playing hockey can become strong enough. Most players don't even train to be THAT strong anyway. These guys are athletes so I have faith in all of those who show athleticism or potential for strength, Kotkaniemi does.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I say there is a 75% chance he is 90% as strong as Drai/Kopitar/Barkov. Kid is still growing and he will fill in. Just depends on how much he trains and works out to be as strong as he can be.
These guys are the strongest young Cs in the game, so I think that’s very optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad