Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Staaled Out Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
While in hindsight he should have been in Liiga or the AHL at 18, the forgotten truth is that he legitimately made the team. The guy was fantastic in camp and preseason that year and looked great to start the year.

I think a big issue for him has been all the weight gaining and subsequent cardio fallout. Just has a hard time maintaining pace at 200+ though I imagine that will change as he gets used to it, plus the condensed schedule didn’t help things. I think next year can legitimately be the breakout year assuming he stays the same weight and the schedule returns to normal.
He was fantastic for an 18 years old player, but it was never an environment for him to grow in.

Gallagher was really good in his first camp too, everyone wanted him on the team. Good thing he didnt make it and got to score 50 in vancouver instead.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
This is factually wrong.

From what I can see hes on the ice for 12 goals against and has been on the ice for 24 for his team.
(.5)

He has a shot differential of 234/188 (.8)

In comparison, looking at the "best" defensive center for the Habs.

34/14 (.4)
345/204 (.59)

Kotkaniemi drives the play up ice.
He's not playing against top lines either. He usually matches up against 3rd liners. All I know is he sure doesn't look all that good in his own end.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
He needs to be defensively responsible too though. Just being physical isn't enough. He's not been great in his own end.

This is just not true; where are people getting this??...Kotkaniemi is actually very good defensively, especially for a 20 year old kid, look at his underlying defensive stats...look at shot attempts when he is on the ice, look at goals for/against, etc...and he is one of our best forwards at transitioning the puck...this is complete nonsense...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's not playing against top lines either. He usually matches up against 3rd liners. All I know is he sure doesn't look all that good in his own end.
That isnt true either. Hockey is a flow and every line faces every line, and since Ducharme came aboard, he used KK as the matchup line to free Suzuki. While everyone was gushing over Danault with Mcdavid, it was Kotkaniemi that drove him insane to the point he got fined 2000$ for a McElbow.

Im unsure about this but I dont think he gave a goal to any of Draisaitl or Mcdavid all year.

He also has a very large margin of his faceoffs in the NZ and DZ and the lowest of all in the OZ (from what I recall, Im not near my laptop.)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even the Trotz/Lamoriello NY Islanders are using Dobson and Wahlstrom lmao

If KK plays on Saturday, I'm not expecting him to be in the same form as he was last playoffs. Last time he came in fresh, and was playing with offensive players. his goals came from around the net on chances they created or being set up in the slot.

Totally different situation, even though he's a year older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad