Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Staaled Out Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
KK is 20. It's far too early for anything to be done.

But yeah, it's great the Avs didn't have such a shit team that they didn't have to rush Newhook and that he got 2 post-draft seasons to continue to develop before coming up to the NHL...
You cant use the age excuse after three years, its three years that you are not getting back. One was fine, two was iffy, three is actively ruining a players career.

Its like taking a kid out of high school and teaching him what you can at home.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
There was no point of having Kotkaniemi play his rookie season in Montreal. He should have spent the year in Laval, other than a trip to the WJCs.

If Bergevin wanted an extra center he could have traded for Thompson immediately.

Reactions: CHwest

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I hope so. People point to good spurts that KK has had . Almost every NHL player has those. The key is some consistency. Excuses are rampant in discussing KK. The only valid one left is he's 20 and has room to grow. Even when he went to Finland and the AHL he didnt dominate at all with lesser competition.
But I really want to see him play. He should not have sat the first game. What a message to send your supposed cornerstone.
He has had the 7th Best season ever for his age in Liiga history
He produced elite numbers for u20 in the AHL, like top 20 all time.
He had the 34th best PPG for a u19 season in the NHL.

Me thinks youre saying actual crap.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
But yeah, it's great the Avs didn't have such a shit team that they didn't have to rush Newhook and that he got 2 post-draft seasons to continue to develop before coming up to the NHL...
Like Montreal didn’t have to rush Caufield?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There was no point of having Kotkaniemi play his rookie season in Montreal. He should have spent the year in Laval, other than a trip to the WJCs.

If Bergevin wanted an extra center he could have traded for Thompson immediately.
He shouldve remained in Liiga IMO.

Then begin the year in the AHL.

Reactions: CHwest

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
KK is 20. It's far too early for anything to be done.

Also, the Avs have had worst 2 3 4 centers than the Habs probably ever had, didnt stop them from doing the righr thing.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Yeah, he needs to find defensive consistency.
Maybe just maturity at this point. He has a lot to put together if he's going to reach 2nd line potential imo. It's not horrible if he's a career 3rd liner with a long career. Not great for the Habs of course, but not every first round pick is a 40 goal scorer after all.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He needs to be defensively responsible too though. Just being physical isn't enough. He's not been great in his own end.
This is factually wrong.

From what I can see hes on the ice for 12 goals against and has been on the ice for 24 for his team.
(.5)

He has a shot differential of 234/188 (.8)

In comparison, looking at the "best" defensive center for the Habs.

34/14 (.4)
345/204 (.59)

Kotkaniemi drives the play up ice.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why Liiga over AHL?

An environement he already knows, much shorter travel distance and time (Im sure youre familiar with Finlands geography), easier league for young players as there are no goons trying to make a name for themselves, the stability of playing for the same team two years in a row, him actually being an impact player at this level, translation of his offensive skills to wing from C at the same level...

Theres so many arguments for Liiga, its insane he played in the NHL.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
The main argument for Liga is that you don't burn contract years on someone who simply is not physically ready. The fact that he's 6'2'' and already comparatively competitive shouldn't bias your decisions. KK grew 1 inch in his draft year = he was about a normal 15 years old physically, a late bloomer.

Personally would have kept him 2 years in Liga, +might allow him to sign 1 year in the SHL. Before bringing him directly in the NHL, as a more mature athlete at entry-level salaries.

Reactions: montreal

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I hope so. People point to good spurts that KK has had . Almost every NHL player has those. The key is some consistency. Excuses are rampant in discussing KK. The only valid one left is he's 20 and has room to grow. Even when he went to Finland and the AHL he didnt dominate at all with lesser competition.
But I really want to see him play. He should not have sat the first game. What a message to send your supposed cornerstone.
Honestly posts like this make me feel like you don't really watch Kotkaniemi. Guy straight up dominated in the second half of his AHL stint last season and ended up with 13 pts in 13 games. Also he didn't have good "spurts" he was all-around solid for the first 75% of the entire season. I really think you're basing way too much of your opinion on a span of 25 games in 43 days, which of course, is absurd.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd rather see 3-4 shots on goal/attempts.

He has to find a way to use his shot more.

Agree but Dldon't think he has that in him yet at NHL level. Even last year's playoffs he had 1 shot/game.

Reactions: 417

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Love Evans but if him sitting out tomorrow is the only way KK plays, I hope it happens.
I'm expecting the play-ins KK from last year to show up tomorrow.

Reactions: Canadienna

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
He needs to be defensively responsible too though. Just being physical isn't enough. He's not been great in his own end.

He's 5th among Habs regulars in 5v5 xGA/60 (behind Lehks and the Danault line) and he's pretty good in GA/60 too. His issue has been on the offensive side of things.

Reactions: montreal

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Honestly posts like this make me feel like you don't really watch Kotkaniemi. Guy straight up dominated in the second half of his AHL stint last season and ended up with 13 pts in 13 games. Also he didn't have good "spurts" he was all-around solid for the first 75% of the entire season. I really think you're basing way too much of your opinion on a span of 25 games in 43 days, which of course, is absurd.
Its the same 5 or 6 posters that gush over Tkachuk and want to discredit KK for everything they do.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Random guy dropping in: the hardest thing for a person to do in professional sports is to have the right mentality. Some people just "have it" and are able to bring their games consistently, while others struggle to play to their potential despite working so hard to do so.

KK is one of the latter where he has all the elements you need to be a star except for his mental game. Hopefully it comes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Random guy dropping in: the hardest thing for a person to do in professional sports is to have the right mentality. Some people just "have it" and are able to bring their games consistently, while others struggle to play to their potential despite working so hard to do so.

KK is one of the latter where he has all the elements you need to be a star except for his mental game. Hopefully it comes.
Yes, and sadly hockey minds are only able to teach the prior. Its so obvious that Kotkaniemi does not respond well to "tough" love and yet, here we are.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
While in hindsight he should have been in Liiga or the AHL at 18, the forgotten truth is that he legitimately made the team. The guy was fantastic in camp and preseason that year and looked great to start the year.

I think a big issue for him has been all the weight gaining and subsequent cardio fallout. Just has a hard time maintaining pace at 200+ though I imagine that will change as he gets used to it, plus the condensed schedule didn’t help things. I think next year can legitimately be the breakout year assuming he stays the same weight and the schedule returns to normal.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Its the same 5 or 6 posters that gush over Tkachuk and want to discredit KK for everything they do.
I hadn't checked HFHabs in a while but I'm quickly realizing this. There's always a vocal minority on almost every topic :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad