Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
His nick name is KK.

Show me players referring to him as coconut........if I remember correctly it was just the usual gross fanboy infatuation of nicknaming 18 year old boys when they get drafted.

Your nickname is what your friends call you, not strangers who have never met you.
This never gets old, and has been going on since Kotkaniemi was drafted. There was a “nickname” discussion and I suggested “Coconut”. I got a few likes out of it but it was summarily dismissed. There were a few arguments during these discussions and I vowed to call him Coconut! Regardless of the consequences! There was a point where I would greet new members/posters while letting them know the official nickname for Kotkaniemi... which is Coconut.
EP and I have been at it for a while over this. Love you brother! Seriously! LMAO

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well other then having ammo to participate in HF discussions about prospects...who really cares.

The handful of games he's going to play in Assat this year isn't going to determine how the rest of his career goes.

Though again, I certainly understand and share on some level, wanting him to put up some goals and assists while he's there. That's normal.

But I really don't think it means much in the grand scheme of things other than bragging rights on a message board with rival fans.
Thats really some asinine conversation youre trying to have here bro. Obviously it could mean nothing, but most likely its a huge indicator of his career (Not 3-4-5 games, but 10+)...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The lack of production of KK doesnt concern me at all. He just started a new season, on a new level. Lets take a breath. And imo, KK will be known for his two way game play. Gonna give hit and to be implicated into the game. If KK become a 50/55 pts player im gonna be happy.
So... we have somehow managed to destroy another large offensively skilled center?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This tivolla fellow is leading the team in points. He's played 10 games and has 11 points.

Clearly the smart thing to do here is to sign him, and dump KK.
There's also the Wings 7th round pick from 2018, Otto Kivenmaki on his team, whose playing at a PPG pace (9pts in 9 games).

At this pace, he should be the #1C for the Wings this coming year.

Reactions: dralaf

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This tivolla fellow is leading the team in points. He's played 10 games and has 11 points.

Clearly the smart thing to do here is to sign him, and dump KK.

There's also the Wings 7th round pick from 2018, Otto Kivenmaki on his team, whose playing at a PPG pace (9pts in 9 games).

At this pace, he should be the #1C for the Wings this coming year.

What purpose do these post serve, really ?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I agree with M.B1p.

KK will have to show some progress and start producing in this league. If not, it will be concerning.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
We all know its two games... It doesn't matter, Im not stressed, youre not stressed, no one is. But if he plays 6, 10, 15 games and doesn't produce, its gonna be a problem

Couldn’t agree more.

He has to take the next step. And dominate that league like the third overall player he is.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We all know its two games... It doesn't matter, Im not stressed, youre not stressed, no one is. But if he plays 6, 10, 15 games and doesn't produce, its gonna be a problem
Is him not producing for 15 games an actual concern for you?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
His nickname is 'The Baby Faced Assassin' and anyone who says different is a
"lying dog-faced pony soldier." as old crazy Joe would say.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I agree with M.B1p.

KK will have to show some progress and start producing in this league. If not, it will be concerning.

The problem is that it only paints part of the picture.

If I were to be concerned, first of all, I would give it a much larger sample size. Secondly, who is he playing with? What kinds of situations is he being played in? Is he doing the right things on the ice? Is he snakebit?

Factoring all that will paint a better picture, but I also don't know what "concerning" looks like to you. If concerning is that he looks like he won't pan out as a top 2 center, then yeah, we would be on the same page, but even then, I would tend to put more stock into the player we actually saw in the playoffs than whatever we see in the goals and assists column from his stint in Finland.

Reactions: 417

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Kotka had a pretty dominant offensive shift on the second period, shame that there's no video on it. Won a board battle pretty easily and just kept going and hustling the puck around players.

Being an Asshat fan from what I've seen, he's played pretty well. You can see that he's a level above other players but his decisions with the puck haven't always been the best. Probably has to do with being a little rusty and adjusting to new team and teammates.

He threw a big hit near the boards as well. He's continued the physical game that we saw from him in the playoffs.

All good, just lacking the points.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
The next time Ässät play is on Friday 6:30 GMT+2 (11:30ET) against Pelicans and it's away game. I expect him to at least end up in the scoresheet. He's too good to not get any points.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The next time Ässät play is on Friday 6:30 GMT+2 (11:30ET) against Pelicans and it's away game. I expect him to at least end up in the scoresheet. He's too good to not get any points.

hopefully anyone that gets to see that game can let us know how our 2 players look in Kotka and Ylonen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with M.B1p.

Kotkaniemi is not a line driver by himself so it comes down to the talent he plays with on his line and on the PP. We have to take a step back and remind ourselves he was drafted as a long term prospect. Adding muscle and improved skating in the last few months is only one step of many he needs to take.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Lmao, people panicking after a guy who hasn't played a game in months is not producing in a league where the season started weeks ago. Makes sense.

Reactions: Deebs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Kotkaniemi is not a line driver by himself so it comes down to the talent he plays with on his line and on the PP. We have to take a step back and remind ourselves he was drafted as a long term prospect. Adding muscle and improved skating in the last few months is only one step of many he needs to take.
Hes not a line driver? Wtf was he pick 3rd overall for then :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad