Jeremy Jacobs was asked about a team relocating - and refused to answer

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
NHL has been supporting Coyotes since their BK in what 2008 ? Support them for 10 more years doesn't seem like it bothers the league, otherwise Coyotes would have been relocated a while ago. And in 10 years well Seattle may officially have finished their renovations and be ready for NHL.

Have you even paid attention to what's going on regarding the arena process here. Its on track to start construction october/november of this year. It's not going to take another 10 years.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I think a third run at Atlanta is something Jacobs/Bettman wants to do before they retire.

Unless that involves the NBA hawks owner as the owner of the NHLtea, It would be a poor decisions to try for the 3rd team a team in Atlanta.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
You’re thinking about ASG. They’re long gone.

Except the new guys there not only don't have the interest, they go on to help rebuild the arena that an NHL team can't physically play there anymore.

Pretty much the opposite from the opportunity in Houston.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Except the new guys there not only don't have the interest, they go on to help rebuild the arena that an NHL team can't physically play there anymore.

True.

But even if they reconfigured the arena it does not mean anything.

When Jerry Colangelo looked to build his arena in downtown Phoenix for his NBA Suns he wasn’t looking to own an NHL franchise either yet he checked with the league to see if they were interested in putting one there some day. The league said no (“not in his lifetime” was the quote) so he built it as a basketball only facility and then a few years later here comes the NHL looking for a favor.

That’s why I never count anything out with these things.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

That's a very good point. So yea i don't see Atlanta 3.0 happening.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Is there more money to be gain in canada if the league add two more expansion team in canada today. I don't think there is. All you do is split the pie 2 more times and split the toronto fanbase. The NHL think there is more $$ to be gained in the US than it is in canada. Will the Canadian tv deal actually increase with a team in quebec and TOR 2? Eh i kinda doubt it.

It's already been explained to you that this is incorrect. Having a second Toronto team would not split the Toronto fanbase. We are talking about a top 5-7 revenue team in the NHL right out of the gate...all while the Leafs continue being a top 1-3 revenue team. But please continue being obstinate.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
It's already been explained to you that this is incorrect. Having a second Toronto team would not split the Toronto fanbase. We are talking about a top 5-7 revenue team in the NHL right out of the gate...all while the Leafs continue being a top 1-3 revenue team. But please continue being obstinate.
What evidence do you have to suggest this? Do you think existing Leafs fans will switch to the new Southern Ontario team?

By all means it won't be a failure, i don't think, but declaring them top 5-7 teams in terms of revenue right out of the gate seems rash.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
What evidence do you have to suggest this? Do you think existing Leafs fans will switch to the new Southern Ontario team?

By all means it won't be a failure, i don't think, but declaring them top 5-7 teams in terms of revenue right out of the gate seems rash.
Do you think everyone in Canada is a fan of a NHL team?

When the Islanders came into the league were their fans former Rangers fan? Of course not, die hard fans do not usually switch to a new team. The Islanders relied on casual and new fans to build a fan base.

Southern Ontario has thousands of hockey fans, not necessarily Leafs fans. Hamilton would have no problem attracting supporters.And without a doubt would be a top 5 revenue team in the league.

Unfortunately I think the time for Hamilton and QC has come and gone. Who can afford a billion for a team?

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
True.

When Jerry Colangelo looked to build his arena in downtown Phoenix for his NBA Suns he wasn’t looking to own an NHL franchise either yet he checked with the league to see if they were interested in putting one there some day. The league said no (“not in his lifetime” was the quote) so he built it as a basketball only facility and then a few years later here comes the NHL looking for a favor.

Very true on the history regarding Colangelo and the design.

Though I think how the NHL got there in the first place in part lead to the issues that exist to this day.:D

I think the NHL will want to make sure the ducks are much more aligned before going back

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Unless that involves the NBA hawks owner as the owner of the NHLtea, It would be a poor decisions to try for the 3rd team a team in Atlanta.

You’re thinking about ASG. They’re long gone.

Very true on the history regarding Colangelo and the design.

Though I think how the NHL got there in the first place in part lead to the issues that exist to this day.:D

I think the NHL will want to make sure the ducks are much more aligned before going back
True.

The NHL has not contacted Tony Ressler, so we don't know. And he wants a new arena, which will probably be hockey compatible. So TheLegend is right here, you never know.

Oh and the coyotes should go back to talking stick! Way better then glendale!

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The NHL has not contacted Tony Ressler, so we don't know. And he wants a new arena, which will probably be hockey compatible. So TheLegend is right here, you never know.

Oh and the coyotes should go back to talking stick! Way better then glendale!

The NHL started the 2015 expansion process after Resler took over the Hawks and the arena. He would have kept in the loop via other owners who have NHL ties (similar to Tannanbaum having close ties with Fertitta after he bought the Rockets) and still did not apply.

They pretty much have a new arena in Atlanta via the renovations that's being completed this year and not hockey compatible.

Unless a 2nd arena goes up Atlanta is decades away from being realistic.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The NHL started the 2015 expansion process after Resler took over the Hawks and the arena. He would have kept in the loop via other owners who have NHL ties (similar to Tannanbaum having close ties with Fertitta after he bought the Rockets) and still did not apply.

They pretty much have a new arena in Atlanta via the renovations that's being completed this year and not hockey compatible.

Well he had owned the hawks for all of 1 year, that's why. He's focusing and turning the team he owns now into a winner.

Here is a star article that agrees with you:There are still hockey fans in Atlanta, but they’re not pulling for the Jets | The Star @nhlfan79

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The thing I found interesting was his dismissal of concussions and cte again.

Aside from that, relocation to Houston is obviously in the cards. He flat out shot some things down, but he spoke on relocation AND brought up Houston on his own. Someone is probably moving there within three years...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

and now there's a report that Georgia may be losing its hockey franchise after next season, despite the branding to Atlanta...

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The NHL wants to add fans, not cannibalize current fan bases. Large southern markets are where the NHL can have the most growth IF they aren’t managed into the ground. Houston makes perfect sense.

I think they’ll give Atlanta another go but it’ll be a while. There’s too much money to be made if they can do it successfully. But regardless of what’s going on with Philips, they’d be stupid to put a hockey team downtown again. Similar to the Braves, put the team in the northern suburbs where the fans are.

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Atlanta would gladly take our Flames back. Most here miss them far more than the Thrashers.

I always thought the Atlanta Flames had one of the best looking logos in the NHL. No offense to Calgary but the flaming 'C' does not compare to the original Atlanta logo.

:jets

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Seattle will be the expansion team.
Calgary or Arizona will move to Houston, and honestly I think it’ll be Calgary due to their arena issues.

Pacific-
Anaheim
Arizona/Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas

Central-
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Houston
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Seattle will be the expansion team.
Calgary or Arizona will move to Houston, and honestly I think it’ll be Calgary due to their arena issues.

Pacific-
Anaheim
Arizona/Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
San Jose
Seattle
Vancouver
Vegas

Central-
Chicago
Colorado