Jeremy Jacobs was asked about a team relocating - and refused to answer

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Yeah I don't see the league going to 33 teams anytime soon.

Listening to the interview again, agreed he doesn't say anything about expansion and when he does talk about Houston it's comparing it to Quebec as prospective NHL market. This is an 'or' not a 'and'. Expansion to Houston would accommodate Quebec despite it's challenges it would balance out a remove an obstacle in their expansion bid. After all, Jacobs didn't say Quebec would never get a team...just not anytime soon.

To me a comparison like this suggests there's one spot....when after Seattle there's none at this time...which leads me to believe it's a relocation instead.

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
They were kicked out because they weren't a draw, and they weren't a draw because they sucked.

Close. They weren't kicked out because they weren't a draw. They sucked by intentional design, precisely to make it easier to kick them out. They actually were more of a draw than they ever deserved to be, even at the end.

Reactions: garnetpalmetto

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This was a total nothingburger from Jacobs.

But, since we're determined to talk about it:
  • If Arizona relocates, they're going to Houston.
  • Arizona isn't relocating yet. Neither are Calgary or Ottawa.
  • The NHL wants Seattle expansion money and they're already in the process of getting it.
  • Montreal is blocking Quebec City, just like Toronto is blocking Hamilton... if not in actual action, then in the minds of the BoG.
  • ...and that's why Jacobs loves Winnipeg and not QC - because there are no bigger fish in Manitoba.
  • Hockey (the sport) can grow more in Canada, but the NHL only has two remaining viable possibilities left - GTA and QC. See above.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

• The NHL wants Seattle expansion money and they're already in the process of getting it.
  • Montreal is blocking Quebec City, just like Toronto is blocking Hamilton... if not in actual action, then in the minds of the BoG.
  • ...and that's why Jacobs loves Winnipeg and not QC - because there are no bigger fish in Manitoba.
  • Hockey (the sport) can grow more in Canada, but the NHL only has two remaining viable possibilities left - GTA and QC. See above.

Is there more money to be gain in canada if the league add two more expansion team in canada today. I don't think there is. All you do is split the pie 2 more times and split the toronto fanbase. The NHL think there is more $$ to be gained in the US than it is in canada. Will the Canadian tv deal actually increase with a team in quebec and TOR 2? Eh i kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atticus Finch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

You guys are keeping your team. As long as there is more money in the US and Phoenix keeps moving up the Neilsen rankings then there is no reason to move them.
Yeah I don't see the league going to 33 teams anytime soon.

Listening to the interview again, agreed he doesn't say anything about expansion and when he does talk about Houston it's comparing it to Quebec as prospective NHL market. This is an 'or' not a 'and'. Expansion to Houston would accommodate Quebec despite it's challenges it would balance out a remove an obstacle in their expansion bid. After all, Jacobs didn't say Quebec would never get a team...just not anytime soon.

To me a comparison like this suggests there's one spot....when after Seattle there's none at this time...which leads me to believe it's a relocation instead.
It will be 32 or 34. He said seattle after houston which leads me to believe the NHL still wants to make it work in Arizona. That tell me Houston is expansion because there is no new money in a relo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakey53

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Is there more money to be gain in canada if the league add two more expansion team in canada today. I don't think there is. All you do is split the pie 2 more times and split the toronto fanbase. The NHL think there is more $$ to be gained in the US than it is in canada. Will the Canadian tv deal actually increase with a team in quebec and TOR 2? Eh i kinda doubt it.

The league could make bank with a GTA/Hamilton expansion team. No question about it, because it's Toronto. But that fact is also why the Leafs don't want a second GTA team. Why share when you can have a monopoly?

Quebec City can't be an expansion team, I don't think. The amount of money it would cost to pay an expansion fee would simply cripple them right out of the gate, no matter how dedicated and devoted the fan base is. So if QC is going to get a team, I think it's going to have to be a relocation. But who would that be? It won't be Arizona, not with Houston in the picture. Houston ticks off way too many boxes on the NHL's wish list that QC does not. It maintains conference equality, solves the divisional alignment issue, offers a location with no arena or ownership issues, and puts the NHL in a top-five US metro market with a built-in in-state rivalry as the cherry on top.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
If the Houston owner said today that he'd be willing to pay the expansion fee the NHL wouldn't care about going to 33 and they'd have the Houston expansion draft before Seattle.

then what happens if coyotes have to relocate and there is no place to relocate them then what? You just create a larger problem. There is zero need to expand after 32 then creater a larger problem where team has to relocate and there no where to put them cause you took away the only market where it make sense to relocate the coyotes too.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
You know if Fertitta is willing to pay the expansion fee now they could go in as team #32. The alignment is already set up for that...done and done ;)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The league could make bank with a GTA/Hamilton expansion team. No question about it, because it's Toronto. But that fact is also why the Leafs don't want a second GTA team. Why share when you can have a monopoly?

Quebec City can't be an expansion team, I don't think. The amount of money it would cost to pay an expansion fee would simply cripple them right out of the gate, no matter how dedicated and devoted the fan base is. So if QC is going to get a team, I think it's going to have to be a relocation. But who would that be? It won't be Arizona, not with Houston in the picture. Houston ticks off way too many boxes on the NHL's wish list that QC does not. It maintains conference equality, solves the divisional alignment issue, offers a location with no arena or ownership issues, and puts the NHL in a top-five US metro market with a built-in in-state rivalry as the cherry on top.
I think Quebec can be expansion with Houston, but Houston would have to pay less then the 650m price.
If the Houston owner said today that he'd be willing to pay the expansion fee the NHL wouldn't care about going to 33 and they'd have the Houston expansion draft before Seattle.
then what happens if coyotes have to relocate and there is no place to relocate them then what? You just create a larger problem. There is zero need to expand after 32 then creater a larger problem where team has to relocate and there no where to put them cause you took away the only market where it make sense to relocate the coyotes too.
Then Kansas City at a reduced price. But they're staying in Phoenix so this mute.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You know if Fertitta is willing to pay the expansion fee now they could go in as team #32. The alignment is already set up for that...done and done ;)
no they cannot, MG... IF THAT WAS THE CASE, didn't Alexander try that route and until he froze the Wild out of Toyota Center, nevermind Chuck Watson and his piece of that franchise... Houston was a non-starter because it was an existing franchise there

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

What happens if they don’t have to relocate? You don’t delay or turn down Houston if they want in. That’s the largest market the NHL doesn’t have a team in.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
Quebec City can't be an expansion team, I don't think. The amount of money it would cost to pay an expansion fee would simply cripple them right out of the gate, no matter how dedicated and devoted the fan base is. So if QC is going to get a team, I think it's going to have to be a relocation.
my understanding is that a franchise would cost a buyer the same, regardless of it being an expansion or a relo. the only difference being who (the current owner of the team to be moved or the league) gets what (purchase price [ie., $500M]or expansion[$650M]/relo fee[$150M]).

where it gets crafty is when more than one franchise is in play. the league maximizes its take by expanding into Seattle and QC (2*,$650M=$1.3B) and relocating the coyotes to houston and some struggling eastern team to GTA/Ham. it could argue the houston market is worth more than phoenix and justify a decent relo-fee (especially if it manipulates its mysterious existing financing relationship with team owners, and low-balls their sale proceeds) and it could argue a massive relo fee to move into GTA.

in other words, it is better for the league to relo into strong markets (and maximize relo-fees) and expand into lesser ones (and charge expansion minimum ... which nows seems to be $650M).

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Can you imagine the fans in QC?

New arena was built, and they're all waiting for the Nords to return only for the BoG to blow them off.

You'd think a fan base like Quebec City's would know two things - first, how soul-wrenchingly awful it is to have your team inexorably torn away from you, and second, never to assume a g**d*** thing when it comes to the NHL and their league structure.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can you imagine the fans in QC?

New arena was built, and they're all waiting for the Nords to return only for the BoG to blow them off.

without starting too much of a war with the Nords fan base and my fellow Canadians--there was a sort of if we build it you will give us a team with the building of the arena.

They jumped through the hoops--but we have no idea what was said behind closed doors--we have never been given a straight answer by anyone with direct knowledge of why QC did not come in with Vegas. I still believe they are being held off the table due to relocation.

About a year ago I suggest that there could be two teams on the move not just one and I still believe QC is in the conversation for a relocation team--just not top of the list

Reactions: Mightygoose

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
without starting too much of a war with the Nords fan base and my fellow Canadians--there was a sort of if we build it you will give us a team with the building of the arena.

They jumped through the hoops--but we have no idea what was said behind closed doors--we have never been given a straight answer by anyone with direct knowledge of why QC did not come in with Vegas. I still believe they are being held off the table due to relocation.

About a year ago I suggest that there could be two teams on the move not just one and I still believe QC is in the conversation for a relocation team--just not top of the list

It wouldn't be a western to eastern relocation team. It would have to be a eastern relocation team at some point down the road.

Reactions: Mike Louis

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I think the answer to both your questions is Bell.

The NHL could easily bring in Bell as another national partner after leaving them in the dark to go solely with Rogers.

As for a second Toronto team, I'm spitballing in thinking Bell might be willing to deconsolidate from MLSE and gain majority ownership of a new team.

The idea that hockey, and essentially revenue, can't grow with another team in Canada/Toronto just doesn't make sense to me.

Would you mind explaining ?

Right now NHL cannot, thru contract obligations got a 2nd national broadcaster (Bell) in Canada.
Besides that, Rogers paid, paid extra to get a guarantee they will be the only (English) national broadcaster in Canada for 12 years.

Yes NHL, for their next contract (due in 8 years) could go with two...but if Rogers paid 5.2 billions for 12 years, who is saying that Rogers would pay more than 2.6 billions for same term and only 50% of the games and that Bell would pay the same ?

Usually, one getting an exclusivity in something, they pay a bit more than if they accepted to split the deal.

NHL has been supporting Coyotes since their BK in what 2008 ? Support them for 10 more years doesn't seem like it bothers the league, otherwise Coyotes would have been relocated a while ago. And in 10 years well Seattle may officially have finished their renovations and be ready for NHL.

You'd think a fan base like Quebec City's would know two things - first, how soul-wrenchingly awful it is to have your team inexorably torn away from you, and second, never to assume a g**d*** thing when it comes to the NHL and their league structure.

Trust me, most of us do. Of course there are dumb people in every village/city/province/state/country/continent and even in hockey fan bases.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
With the Isles getting approval for a new arena, that leaves the Coyotes, Flames & Sens ( If they don't get a new rinks), and Panthers as candidates to be relocated over the next three years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad