Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Is cap friendly accurate that it's full NMC? I was hoping the last couple years would only be NTC or no restrictions. I'm just glad it's done though.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
$9m per year, max 8 years, NMC all 8 years.

My understanding is that outside of ELCs and 35+ contracts, there isn't a lot of room for fancy language in contracts, outside of when money is paid (base vs signing bonus), how many years, how much and NMC/NTC.

So he got the NMC, max term, expected AAV, what exactly was Botterill haggling? just the structure of base/SB?

lul.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
$9m per year, max 8 years, NMC all 8 years.

My understanding is that outside of ELCs and 35+ contracts, there isn't a lot of room for fancy language in contracts, outside of when money is paid (base vs signing bonus), how many years, how much and NMC/NTC.

So he got the NMC, max term, expected AAV, what exactly was Botterill haggling? just the structure of base/SB?

lul.
Someone should have the guts to ask him at his next presser. I am wondering how the f*** we ended up giving up the clause, the money and the term...worst case scenario.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Oh dear.
I refuse being upset right now, lots of moving parts.

Botterill took all those comments about his future with Sabres to heart, eh :laugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ah yes, the goal is to win the stanley cup.

We got a career year out of jeff last year, let's see where led us to in the standings!

Wait, wait.....looks like we finished 20 points out of the playoffs.

Well, it's ok, surely he's lead OTHER teams into the playoffs! Let's look at his career numbers

Oh. 0 Playoff games played.

So, what's our purpose again? To overpay above average talent to help us...miss the playoffs?

If so

george-w-bush-declares-mission-accomplished.jpg

I get it... they broke you...

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Someone should have the guts to ask him at his next presser. I am wondering how the **** we ended up giving up the clause, the money and the term...worst case scenario.

Losing him to free agency would’ve been a much much worse possible outcome. I don’t think the aav will look that bad once we see a lot of contracts signed this summer. Starting with Laine and Matt Tkachuck’s reported asks of $10+ mil.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Botts painted himself into a corner and paid dearly for it with that contract.

We needed to keep Skinner but the fact that we didn't move down much from the high end of his ask AND gave him a full NMC? Again, like so many of his moves, not a great look for the supposed cap genius.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Losing him to free agency would’ve been a much much worse possible outcome. I don’t think the aav will look that bad once we see a lot of contracts signed this summer. Starting with Laine and Matt Tkachuck’s reported asks of $10+ mil.
This contract is basically unmovable unless Skinner decides it wants to be moved. This is brutal. I was barely ready to accept 9x8 because it would cost more to get a Skinner level player now than to dump a Skinner level contract in 5-6 years...but now we are literally stuck with the contract for 8 years unless the player decides otherwise. Thus is brutal and a big mistake by Botts.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Botts painted himself into a corner and paid dearly for it with that contract.

We needed to keep Skinner but the fact that we didn't move down much from the high end of his ask AND gave him a full NMC? Again, like so many of his moves, not a great look for the supposed cap genius.
Unfortunately it’s bend over and take it until we’re a good team players are willing to take less to play for.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Absolute Incredible job by Botterill just a spectacular job . This really makes me feel so ,icy better about the O’Reilly trade it really does . Yes the trade still looks bad but we now Botterill has my respect as one of his biggest musts has been solidified and like the other poster said there really wasn’t much better options on the wing unless we went the trade route so I am so thrilled Botts managed to fill one of our biggest needs

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Would I prefer Skinner on an 8x9 contract and a full NMC, or for Skinner to walk as a UFA with no return at all?

I like Skinner, but that's a pretty fine line. I guess I'll give a slight edge to signing the contract.

Is it just me or has Botterill not impressed on important contracts? Eichel at 8x10 and Skinner at 8x9 are both probably overpaid by 1mil/year. Bridging Reinhart is very likely going to cost us significant money (or force us into a trade).

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
This contract is basically unmovable unless Skinner decides it wants to be moved. This is brutal. I was barely ready to accept 9x8 because it would cost more to get a Skinner level player now than to dump a Skinner level contract in 5-6 years...but now we are literally stuck with the contract for 8 years unless the player decides otherwise. Thus is brutal and a big mistake by Botts.

I’m of the mindset that Skinner is gonna be a good player for a while. He’s an elite skater and and elite close in/net front finisher. Those two things should keep him an effective player for a good chunk of this contract.

On top of that he brings a high level of hustle and is a really good forechecker, 2 things that this team needs more of. I’m fine with the contract, you need to have as much talent on your team as possible. Jordan Eberle at $~7 mil instead of Skinner would be a nightmare.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Would I prefer Skinner on an 8x9 contract and a full NMC, or for Skinner to walk as a UFA with no return at all?

I like Skinner, but that's a pretty fine line. I guess I'll give a slight edge to signing the contract.

Is it just me or has Botterill not impressed on important contracts? Eichel at 8x10 and Skinner at 8x9 are both probably overpaid by 1mil/year. Bridging Reinhart is very likely going to cost us significant money (or force us into a trade).
Jacks contract is bargain if anything. Cant say the same about Skinner. We will see what happens with Reinhart and Dahlin but with the benchmark being Skinner at 9, we are going to be in cap hell very soon.

Reactions: Ralonzo and Hasek

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
its too much imo but i'm splitting hairs at that point. glad he's signed

it would be nice to see how he performs with a little but more scoring depth on the roster....... the contract could end up being cheaper than what he's actually worth if we have legit threats on lines 2/3

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Sabres have shown they are serious and paid out huge dollars. It is up to Skinner to show that he is worth the money. At least for the next 6 years....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad