Player Discussion Jeff Petry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 25, 2009
éal
I remember a couple years ago, when Subban got ejected for the microfracture slash, Petry was put in his spot for that game and was rock solid.

Yes, Petry is the least of my worry on that back end. I know what to expect from him. He's gonna get criticism from times to times, it's a long season and every one get bad stretch, but if he bring it in the postseason I'll be happy.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
In case anybody is not aware, his dad played for the Tigers, and it was a big surprise that he didn't go back and sign with Detroit.

Just letting you know in case you didn't have to watch the series on NBC.

But yeah, Petry is fine.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Loved Petry's play in the playoffs. Rock steady defensively, didn't take unnecessary risks. We are lucky to have him as a 3rd dman

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Loved Petry's play in the playoffs. Rock steady defensively, didn't take unnecessary risks. We are lucky to have him as a 3rd dman

Some players raise it in the playoffs. Petry is one of those. It's now two playoffs and two playoffs he raised his game.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He is underrated. He is good 3rd defenseman. I really like him.

In some part in the last season, he played like very very well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Sometimes he looks like an all star. Always seems to leave me expecting more. Agreed that he is a solid 2nd pairing D

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I loved Petry in 14-15. There was really no big flaw in his game, and his reliability factor was amazing. 15-16 was the first time he looked to be struggling. Based on the fact he eventually pulled out of the season for surgery, I'm guessing his physical health played a large role in his struggles. Fast forward to 16-17, and I thought he was a mixed bag. Some stretches, he looked awful and in others, he showed flashes of what made me like him so much when he first arrived in Montreal.

Based on his historic inconsistencies with this club, I have no idea what to expect from petry now, but the habs need him to be at his best more than any other season. If that happens, then the defense instantly improves by a considerable margin.... That's how important he is and how much of an impact he can have.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Petry stinks in any role other than 5-6, and he's overpaid and soft.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal

Maybe that's just me but I expected him and was hyped up to be a #2 defenceman, I'm disappointed!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If Alzner's his partner I'm expecting him to be more consistent.

That would be good because he was quite often a tire fire when paired with Markov Beaulieu and Emelin.

Yes he did steady a bit in the post season but he certainly was not remarkable.
He got a free pass on many occasions as the media and indeed this board was focused elsewhere but if he doesn't bring it this year trust me on this he will be targeted.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Like the Pens? Petry is a good #3, and I thought he was very bad last season. He stepped up big time in the playoffs.

The Pens are an exception because of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and a winning mentality.

Take any team that made the playoffs and tell me which team Petry would be a #3 dmen?

I can think of Boston for sure, Toronto and Ottawa?

Petry is way too inconsistent both offensively and defensively. He goes 10 superd games and 20 where he disappears.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The Pens are an exception because of Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and a winning mentality.

Take any team that made the playoffs and tell me which team Petry would be a #3 dmen?

I can think of Boston for sure, Toronto and Ottawa?

Petry is way too inconsistent both offensively and defensively. He goes 10 superd games and 20 where he disappears.

I am not talking about overall success. You said that he would be a #4 on a good team. The Pens are the best team in the league and I am sure he would also be a #3 there. I am willing to give Petry more time as he had to babysit terrible players.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He's always had issues, but with Alzner they may actually form a reliable second pairing. I think anything we say about this d-corpse has to be caveated until after 10-20 games. These are new pairings, learning a new system and it will take time.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He looked bad in pre-season and yesterday, but I'm not worried about him he's shown enough in the past he's capable of being very solid so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I think Petry will be fine. He is a very good defenseman, and he has a good partner. Last night was what it was, but I've seen enough of him to think it was the exception as opposed to the rule. Buffalo had a very good, hard forecheck going, that's tough for any D man.

I'm looking for a strong bounce-back game against Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad