Value of: Jeff Petry to Jets

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And that's where the talks would end. As explained earlier in this thread, it makes no sense for the Jets to give up their first for Petry.
I would rather have 2 seconds than a first. Timmins has a terrible record drafting in first round. Jets pick will be late, odds are better to get by lightning than him finding a player

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Chevy has publicly stated recently he is open to making trades, including his 1st rd pick.......with the caveat it must be a good fit and make sense.

This is a very interesting caveat.

Do you think there are other General Managers that don't have this caveat and aren't opposed to making a trade for a bad fit that doesn't make sense?

Reactions: brock0791

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This is a very interesting caveat.

Do you think there are other General Managers that don't have this caveat and aren't opposed to making a trade for a bad fit that doesn't make sense?

That was the point of the post, showing people it was a generic throw away comment meaning nothing. Some people want to believe it means he’s going all in on rentals.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Petry has a no trade list. Strong chance Jets are on it.

How many on the NTL? And why not WPG?
I think that with the right trade that doesnt remove roster players from the lineup, Petry may well put Wpg into a playoff spot. Considering their lineup, i dont see why Wpg wouln't be in his top 15.

Alikhan Alizada

Jul 16, 2017
montreal trades: Jeff Petry(50% retained) +???

Winnipeg trades : Vesalainen + ????

Wanted to se as a base what would people think.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
That is brutal for the Jets......easy pass.

I would not say this is brutal by any means, a 40 points top 4D that would likely be top pair in WPG vs a 60 points top 6 forward. Sure you have the age discount hence the 2nd (which should be early something like 36/38).

Not saying WPG should make this trade, just saying it may not be as bad a proposal as you may think ;)

As mentioned in a previous post WPG and MTL are my two favorite teams, so I do not think I am too biased on this one.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I would not say this is brutal by any means, a 40 points top 4D that would likely be top pair in WPG vs a 60 points top 6 forward. Sure you have the age discount hence the 2nd (which should be early something like 36/38).

Not saying WPG should make this trade, just saying it may not be as bad a proposal as you may think ;)

As mentioned in a previous post WPG and MTL are my two favorite teams, so I do not think I am too biased on this one.

Petry is a fine player no one is saying otherwise. But no chance in this universe does the Jets trade 5 years of Ehlers on a team friendly contract for 1 year of Petry.........no chance that would happen....zero.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure the Jets would do it but I'm looking for the Muzzin to the Leafs value and a bit more cause Petry is trending much better than Muzzin (pre trade) and he is a RD which is harder to acquire today.

- 2020 or 2021 1st (Jets choose what they want to give). Top 3 lottery protection
- Vesalainen or Gustafsson
- Future 2nd

But the issue like others have said is the contract situation with Big Buff

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is brutal for the Jets......easy pass.

Agreed. Basically comes down to a 2nd for 4 years of Ehlers. Not even close in value. To be honest, I like Ehlers (Mooseheads and Habs fan here) but the Habs need to target players with size that can skate. Adding Ehlers only complicates our smurf issue. Ehlers works on the Jets cause they have a good mix of skill, skating, size/strength.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Petry is not a rental. He is signed until the end of next year. He is a #2-3 smooth skating/puck moving RHD able to play 20+ mins in all situations.

He'd not go for cheap if Bergevin made him available (which I doubt he will). I think what LA was able to get for Muzzin would be in the ballpark (1st, B prospect, C prospect), but I think there would be many suitors, which could drive the price up. Let's see injury situation/number of teams on the bubble with D needs at the deadline.

From Winnipeg, it would be something like 2020 1st (top 10 protected) + 2nd + 3rd, since I don't see any prospect in their pool that would interest the Habs beside Heinola, Samberg, Niku or Vesalainen, which I doubt are available. Gustafsson does not move the needle for me.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Petry is a fine player no one is saying otherwise. But no chance in this universe does the Jets trade 5 years of Ehlers on a team friendly contract for 1 year of Petry.........no chance that would happen....zero.

I agree with the fact that this is unlikely, just wanted to say that the value is not as bad as a previous comment suggested :)
IMO, if Petry goes to WPG, no big asset (Ehlers incl.) will go the other way, it will be future based :)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
montreal trades: Jeff Petry(50% retained) +???

Winnipeg trades : Vesalainen + ????

Wanted to se as a base what would people think.

Think Muzzin to the Leafs but a bit more. Why more? Petry is trending much better (Muzzin pre-trade) and he is a RD which is harder to acquire today.

Muzzin returned...
- Mid to late 1st: 22nd pick
- Durzi: 2nd round pick trending well in the OHL
- Grundstrom: 2nd round pick in 2016 who was 21 a the time of the trade and NHL ready with decent AHL production

* Leafs 1st = Jets 1st
* Grundstrom = Veslainen
* Durzi = Gustafsson or a future 2nd

2020 or 2021 1st (top 3 protection), Veslainen, and a future 2nd would be a starting point. Jets can decide if they want to engage or not but the biggest issue is the contract situation with Big Buff. Things are on hold until they know if he is coming back or not.

You want the Habs to retain? We can but the price is increased

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Think Muzzin to the Leafs but a bit more. Why more? Petry is trending much better (Muzzin pre-trade) and he is a RD which is harder to acquire today.

Muzzin returned...
- Mid to late 1st: 22nd pick
- Durzi: 2nd round pick trending well in the OHL
- Grundstrom: 2nd round pick in 2016 who was 21 a the time of the trade and NHL ready with decent AHL production

* Leafs 1st = Jets 1st
* Grundstrom = Veslainen
* Durzi = Gustafsson or a future 2nd

2020 or 2021 1st (top 3 protection), Veslainen, and a future 2nd would be a starting point. Jets can decide if they want to engage or not but the biggest issue is the contract situation with Big Buff. Things are on hold until they know if he is coming back or not.

You want the Habs to retain? We can but the price is increased

I agree with you analysis, and Muzzin is the perfect comp for that. As a fan of both teams (and being really high on Petry who held the first line when Weber was out) I would do it, makes WPG stronger now and the Habs stronger in 3 years time ;)

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad