Confirmed with Link: Jeff Jackson (McDavid's now former agent) named Oilers CEO of Hockey Ops

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I wish they would bring Staois in now and just give Kenny his 5 mil for the year to go sit on the couch.

Reactions: Oilers49er

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Thinking Brian Lawton, but not sure if it's same role.

Edit: Found the below. So I guess he has a bit of other team experience. 4 years according to elite prospects.

Jackson, 58, played 263 career games with the Toronto Maple Leafs, Quebec Nordiques, New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks. After his career was over, he practised law before joining the Maple Leafs front office as assistant general manager and director of player operations in 2006.
I think Lawton had the Holland role, a rung down from Jackson's role.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
So is he allowed to stay on as McD's agent?

Also seems like a cheap parlor trick by the org if this was a move to keep McD

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Jeff Jackson? That's pretty random.
Has an agent ever moved up to CEO of Hockey Ops of an NHL team?

Not saying it's a bad thing btw (Nicholson being replaced can only be a good thing), just that it's interesting and of course can only be good that McDavid's rep is now in charge of Hockey Ops in terms of keeping him here long term. Is he qualified though or is that more of a favor to McDavid?
Brian Burke is an example…was an agent, then GM and President.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So is he allowed to stay on as McD's agent?

Also seems like a cheap parlor trick by the org if this was a move to keep McD

Of course not. That would be a conflict of interest. Matthew’s agent with Wasserman is now McDavids agent. And zero chance they made this move without involving McDavid in their vision for the future along with his full blessing and input.

I'm tired of incompetents getting cozy jobs with the team. There's no reason to retain Nicholson whatsoever.

In your minds eye. Special advisor is merely a title and keeping him on the payroll until his contract expires without giving him anything to do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Of course not. That would be a conflict of interest. Matthew’s agent with Wasserman is now McDavids agent. And zero chance they made this move without involving McDavid in their vision for the future and his full blessing and input.

In your minds eye. Special advisor is merely a title and keeping him on the payroll until his contract expires without giving him anything to do.
I posted somewhere, but there was already a quote from McDavid on this too

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

duul

Jun 21, 2010
why, what makes Staois so good as an NHL GM?
Good point. It was the plan for a while that him working with Holland indicated he was being groomed for the spot.

With Jackson coming in I suppose it’s on him to choose the GM and his approach may be different. As of today it’s up to him to decide who’s GMing the club. Doesn’t that usually correlate with bringing in a new GM right away? Nicholson with Chia?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Interesting hire. I think this is good news that McDavid will stay long term.

I think this means Nicholson is unofficially out. Hes probably just collecting a paycheck while he serves out a contact. Good riddance.

I'd really like to know how the owner, ceo, and GM's interract with each other behind the scenes though. I wonder how often the GM gets overruled on decisions. Least Holland will have someone competent in the room to bounce ideas off.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
anyways, this probably helps ensure McDavid (and Leon) will stay longer then their current contracts and that's good news for the franchise

hopefully he takes a fresh approach when selecting a new GM after Kenny leaves next year

Reactions: McDrai

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
big brain possibility: maybe we hired this Jeff Jackson so that no other team could. That team would be allowed to talk to McDavid through his agent. There are borders of what that could be of course, but there are ways to tamper and be careful about it, and one way is to make a lot of insuations through an agent.

Reactions: McDrai

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Oilers just posted this on their X account too!

You have to know Gerry Johansson is the first guy stauffer called today lol.

big brain possibility: maybe we hired this Jeff Jackson so that no other team could. That team would be allowed to talk to McDavid through his agent. There are borders of what that could be of course, but there are ways to tamper and be careful about it, and one way is to make a lot of insuations through an agent.
Jackson is no longer McDavid's agent though.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
According to Gazolla on yesterdays afternoon podcast of the Oilstream the plan to have Staois replace Holland is no longer.
Did anyone really know that Jackson would be hired today?

Not sure anyone knows what the plan is anymore.

Personally I just hope for now Jackson focuses on bringing in some more talent on the scouting side of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad