Confirmed with Link: Jeff Carter Traded to Pittsburgh / Jeff Carter Appreciation Thread

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Predicted a 3 rd fourth and a goalie prospect a couple weeks back in a top 6 to boston thread and was told i am way off no way he gets anywhere near that. Looks like i was pretty close

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
And with apologies to Williams, Mitchell, Greene, Richards this is without question the most accomplished player from those teams to leave, this one hits me way harder than any of those did. I know people disagree, but I think Carter was the first cut-off on those teams where you can really say "They maybe wouldn't have won without him" Carter is not on the tier of 11, 23 and 32 but he is in his own tier above all those other guys.

Carter had some really quiet series during both runs. But yeah, as far as pure game breaking skill, he was a cut above those guys. That 70s Line almost single handedly won the 2014 Hawks series. Hawks had no answer for them.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Carter transitioning from wing to an elite 2C a position he hadn't played at all with the Kings and not a ton as a pro probably saved the Kings bacon in 2014 after it became obvious that Richards was cooked and unable to contribute anymore.

The Kings would have had to pay through the roof for a 2C or put Stoll back in that spot.

Yeah, he really transitioned well into a great 2-way center. Him and Kopitar changed how teams built their teams in the west. Ducks traded for Kesler just to be able to match Kopitar-Carter down the middle.

Carter had some really quiet series during both runs. But yeah, as far as pure game breaking skill, he was a cut above those guys. That 70s Line almost single handedly won the 2014 Hawks series. Hawks had no answer for them.

Yup, Toews was tasked with shutting down Kopitar but they had no one to shut down Carter. Kings don't win without Carter along with Toffoli and Pearson.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Yup, Toews was tasked with shutting down Kopitar but they had no one to shut down Carter. Kings don't win without Carter along with Toffoli and Pearson.

The Kings should have won the series in 5 or 6, they had a better team. It was the only time during that 3 year run where Sutter was completely outcoached. I still have PTSD from being in the stands and seeing the Kings 4th line sent out when Patrick Kane was rested.

Happy it all worked out though.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Biggest asset from this deal is his open position on the team. Carter was just going through the motions at this stage in his career. We need a hungry young prospect taking that spot. Even if he retires, we can handle his cap recapture penalty next season. We don't need the cap space.
I don't agree with that at all. His problem is those filthy hands are long gone...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Yeah, he really transitioned well into a great 2-way center. Him and Kopitar changed how teams built their teams in the west. Ducks traded for Kesler just to be able to match Kopitar-Carter down the middle.

Yeah it wasn't just Toews, either. They loaded up Toews AND Hossa vs. Kopitar with the idea that Kane could then run wild. They weren't wrong, really. Kopitar/Toews lines blackholed each other all series; the 2nd lines tee'd off on each other the rest of the time with the Hawks having no real answer for That 70s Line, who were perfectly content trading goals with whatever combo of Kane, Sharp, Saad, Shaw they were facing. What a fun series. I re-watched the whole thing last summer and imo it really was the pinnacle of hockey in the 2010s. I'm obviously biased but it was also the two past champions facing one another, the only teams really stopping one another from threepeating

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Biggest asset from this deal is his open position on the team. Carter was just going through the motions at this stage in his career. We need a hungry young prospect taking that spot. Even if he retires, we can handle his cap recapture penalty next season. We don't need the cap space.
A veteran will probably replace Carter at some point on the roster.Can't have a team loaded with rookies.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The conditions on this trade might be a doozy since its taking a while to figure out the actual details.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Sad day, for Carts really enjoyed watching him play over the years 2012-2021! Consummate team player whether at RWing or Centre! Could really fly for a big man and had great hands,wonder what he could have done playing RWing with Kopi upon his arrival? Good Luck to Jeff wherever he lands or ends up,hope he tastes from Lord Stanley's "mug" for a third time!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad