Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Offseason move:

To CBJ:

Jeff Carter
2nd

To LA:

4th

Carter retires on the spot. LA gets out of the last year of his deal for little cost. CBJ finally gets something useful for Carter after all these years.
Not getting a second, Kings aren’t desperate to move him.

edit: I see what you did there.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
16 pts in 36 games. Similar scoring pace compared to the last 2 years. Can still produce but we are over playing him. He should be on our bottom 6 at under 13 min a night. We still have him pegged as a top 6 forward expecting 30 goals from him.

He is still a phenomenal straight line skater. Can be used on the 2nd PP as a puck mover and trigger man. The shooting skills are still there. Can be used on the PK as well if need be.

He lost some of his agility and hands so he loses board battles often and messes up plays. He also avoids contact as well. Probably due to his surgeries.

Any team that needs a big fast winger that can provide some pop and leadership with speed through the neutral zone can possibly see him as a fit.

For value I guess mid round pick(s)

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
16 pts in 36 games. Similar scoring pace compared to the last 2 years. Can still produce but we are over playing him. He should be on our bottom 6 at under 13 min a night. We still have him pegged as a top 6 forward expecting 30 goals from him.

He is still a phenomenal straight line skater. Can be used on the 2nd PP as a puck mover and trigger man. The shooting skills are still there. Can be used on the PK as well if need be.

He lost some of his agility and hands so he loses board battles often and messes up plays. He also avoids contact as well. Probably due to his surgeries.

Any team that needs a big fast winger that can provide some pop and leadership with speed through the neutral zone can possibly see him as a fit.

For value I guess mid round pick(s)
I can see him kinda like a Vinny L. Could give a stretch of good games after the deadline but that would be a next year scenario.

Reactions: Mats26

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That is false. The Kings can retain 50%. It would be 50% off his cap hit and 50% of the remaining salary this year and 50% next year of the whole amount for that year. So Carter make 2 million next season the Kings would pay 1 million of that and this season the Kings would pay 50% of the "22% still owed" so 11% total.

But Carter probably won't moved

you are incorrect

go back and check the CBA

trading players near the TDL who have term beyond that year you can only retain the same amount of cap/salary left for that year because the cap amount retained must be the same for each year.

go back and look at TDL deals with term left and you will see these under 50% retained because that’s how much of the cap is left to play that season

only on UFAs/EFAs at the end of that season can you retain 50% at the deadline. Players traded in the off-season you can retain 50% again on a player with term left.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean, if he WANTED to move, I could see him bringing value as a 3RW. But I think he's mentally retired.

The guy started the season on absolute fire but right now he's pretty much just punching in and punching out. He's playing like a 5 year old, just move the puck towards the opposing zone if you're out of it, move the puck towards the net if you're in it, skate north-south on rails. He's pretty much just there.

In theory he's a good dude and a good mentor and I'll always be grateful for what he brought the Kings in the past, and in some ways it's hard to be mad at him for smiling all the time right now, but he has zero fire of competition. If he so much as stickchecks a guy too hard it's a smile and pat on the back, like he's a superstar on his farewell tour.

Seems like with him and others Kings mgmt seems content to let them go out on their own terms instead of aggressively shove them out the door.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
And those two drunks were instrumental in our first two, and possibly only, cups in franchise history. Bless their sodden pointed heads.

But currently? Yeah I’d move Carter at 50% retained for a shyte pick, just for the roster spot next year. Kaliyev or somebody may be ready for a sniff of the NHL.
Kings are not going to load the team up with rookies,Blake would need to bring in a veteran to replace Carter.I be super surprised if Kings trade Carter unless he ask for it.

Reactions: KingTech

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
What would it take for LA to buy him out?

Signing paperwork?

It would be $4m in dead cap next year, and then barely anything for another, but it becomes a question of how much dead cap do you want to look at all the time. Kovalchuk is done after this year, Phaneuf drops to $1m from $4m, and Richards is still there. Do you want to add another name for 2 years?

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kings are not going to load the team up with rookies,Blake would need to bring in a veteran to replace Carter.I be super surprised if Kings trade Carter unless he ask for it.

If none of our rookies is able to outplay Carter's production, we are in huge trouble.
Carter is contributing absolutely nothing to the game at all.
He can't score a goal to safe his live even getting nice assists from Villardi.
Beside that, he turns over the puck as soon as he gets it. 6 goals and a -9 in 36 games is not cutting it for a top 6 winger.
If those are the veterans we rely on, we are doomed

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
If none of our rookies is able to outplay Carter's production, we are in huge trouble.
Beside that, he turns over the puck as soon as he gets it. 6 goals and a -9 in 36 games is not cutting it for a top 6 winger.

I disagree to a point I think he is showing the kids how to be a professional hockey player. I also am sure he can help off ice in training and dietary questions. Jeff maybe a on ice deterrent but off ice he has always been a good example of getting into and staying in shape.

The way to deal with him is to have him sit a game and see if that wakes him up. However I would also reduce his ice time to that of bottom 6

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I mean, I wouldn't acquire Jeff Carter to be "the guy", and I wouldn't be looking at him to save your season, but if your team needs a veteran secondary scoring winger, a trade to a contender would likely improve his production. LA could certainly retain salary if that would entice another team.

Reactions: KingTech

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Started the season great and flying. He was the fastest player on the ice for a handful of games when fully rested, but age has clearly caught him and with the busy season he clearly can't keep up. He is a responsible player but needs the perfect setup and lots of rest to be effective in the offensive zone. Might serve some use for someone, but who knows if he would accept a trade. I think Blake is content on just allowing him to finish his contract in LA and retire.

Reactions: kilowatt

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If Carter was waived today he would go unclaimed. Nobody wants that 5.2m cap number next year. Covid has changed the rules in the NHL.

this, no matter what he does/does not have left in the tank most of the league is capped out and has no space for him

David Catselhoff

Jan 14, 2005
I expect Carter to finish the season in LA, get left unprotected during the expansion draft. Then during the summer we will find out he had ailment X and will go LTIR for the 21-22 season and retire after that. No need to make any hasty moves or freak out over his cap hit. It really wont matter.

Reactions: LAKings88

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The way I can explain Jeffro is that he's got games where he looks really good, and games where he looks completely disinterested. The fact I've seen such a disparity in his performance this season implies lot of it is a mental block rather than a physical one due to age.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i could see a deal if LA eats half of his salary
otherwise, no one's gonna want to inherit a $5.2m cap hit for next year

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It's not about rookies outplaying Carter,it's about leadership and another veteran would be needed to be brought in.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Do you see him being moved to a contender at the deadline? I see the Jets interested.

No thanks. Jets should and will be focusing their attention on adding a defenseman.

That extra year is a no go. If he were going to be a UFA after this season I’d take him to replace Thompson in the Jets fourth line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad