Value of: Jeff Carter at the deadline

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
I don't see the Kings as looking to add at the deadline, but if they fare well over the next stretch of 5 games (all vs SJ and Ari), they'll be well in the hunt for the 4th playoff spot in the West. And if that's the case, I doubt they are looking to move Carter.

There's also the issue of whether he would retire or not if he's traded from LA. He's denied it in the past, but who knows whether that's truthful or not.

Last edited:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
As a Kings fan I can tell you he is done as a player. He has negative value. Maybe at 50% retained some team can take a chance to see if a change of atmosphere will motivate him, but it’s uncertain. Don’t see any team making a move for him.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
As a Kings fan I can tell you he is done as a player. He has negative value. Maybe at 50% retained some team can take a chance to see if a change of atmosphere will motivate him, but it’s uncertain. Don’t see any team making a move for him.
He means it when he say he’ll retire if traded.

the California lifestyle has him.
Hell never accept a trade.
This. Even if some team were actually interested which I doubt, he would most likely refuse to play for them. Dude has his Cups and is checked out. Next stop for him is retirement.

Reactions: G Backup

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
has he been living on or off the dry island :naughty:

* just being a stupid ass for kicks as ive no idea if carter was one of those type ' islanders ' back in those days

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I think he actually said at one point that he would retire if he was traded, has that changed?

Edit: As said above, missed that.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018

It is very possible, if he feels very strongly about living in California.

He only has 1 year left on his deal, so it isn't like he would be throwing away multiple years of guaranteed money by retiring.

Plus, he has won 2 Stanley Cups. He doesn't need to go ring-chasing at this point in his career.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
has he been living on or off the dry island :naughty:

* just being a stupid ass for kicks as ive no idea if carter was one of those type ' islanders ' back in those days
GM at the time Paul Holmgren has confirmed it:

"Shortly after his arrival in December 2009, coach Peter Laviolette instituted what players came to call the “Dry Island.” Laviolette asked team members to commit to not drinking for a month, and each player was asked to write his number on a locker room board as a pledge. No. 17 (Carter) and No. 18 (Richards) were absent from the board on the first Dry Island, as well as the estimated five more times the policy was instituted.
In a phone interview Thursday, Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren confirmed that Richards and Carter hadn’t put their numbers on the board, but said there had been others who declined. “We carry 23 players and there wasn’t 23 numbers up there.”
Holmgren was “really upset that this is out there. That’s our locker room. Our inner sanctum. Our board. Someone’s crossing a line here,” in discussing the Dry Island."

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and the 'Dry Island': Two unnamed Flyers blame duo's departure on partying | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com

"Shortly after his arrival in December 2009, coach Peter Laviolette instituted what players came to call the “Dry Island.” Laviolette asked team members to commit to not drinking for a month, and each player was asked to write his number on a locker room board as a pledge. No. 17 (Carter) and No. 18 (Richards) were absent from the board on the first Dry Island, as well as the estimated five more times the policy was instituted.
In a phone interview Thursday, Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren confirmed that Richards and Carter hadn’t put their numbers on the board, but said there had been others who declined. “We carry 23 players and there wasn’t 23 numbers up there.”
Holmgren was “really upset that this is out there. That’s our locker room. Our inner sanctum. Our board. Someone’s crossing a line here,” in discussing the Dry Island."

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter and the 'Dry Island': Two unnamed Flyers blame duo's departure on partying | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports
if i were a 20 something nhler , single , and coach asked me to not drink ide rofl

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena

He never said he’d retire. That statement did not come from his camp. It was some lame click bait troll who was looking for attention. In fact Carter said almost the opposite. Why would he walk away from money and retire? His contract was not that rich. Especially in a state with such a high personal income tax.

Reactions: Guitpik

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

you can’t retain 50% now. It’s the % of season left you can retain. The deadline is usually around 22%. After the season you coukd retain 50% at any time since it’s his final contract year.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
probably retires a king, his cap hit wont affect what the kings do next year. as others have said hes done.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

And those two drunks were instrumental in our first two, and possibly only, cups in franchise history. Bless their sodden pointed heads.

But currently? Yeah I’d move Carter at 50% retained for a shyte pick, just for the roster spot next year. Kaliyev or somebody may be ready for a sniff of the NHL.

Reactions: Guitpik

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
I was going to bring this up on the kings board but here is as good a place as any. I think its time to give Jeff a wake up call. I'd sit him a game. To protect his public ego/trade value (what little there is) I would call it covid protocol If he didn't come back with a new desire to play he would be traded. If we trade him Staal's value sadly would be the base imo Maybe 3rd 4th and a b goalie prospect for our ahl team.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Carter would be a good vet piece on a contender's third line. He still has a decent shot and comes up in big games.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
you can’t retain 50% now. It’s the % of season left you can retain. The deadline is usually around 22%. After the season you coukd retain 50% at any time since it’s his final contract year.

That is false. The Kings can retain 50%. It would be 50% off his cap hit and 50% of the remaining salary this year and 50% next year of the whole amount for that year. So Carter make 2 million next season the Kings would pay 1 million of that and this season the Kings would pay 50% of the "22% still owed" so 11% total.

But Carter probably won't moved

Reactions: KingTech

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
And those two drunks were instrumental in our first two, and possibly only, cups in franchise history. Bless their sodden pointed heads.

But currently? Yeah I’d move Carter at 50% retained for a shyte pick, just for the roster spot next year. Kaliyev or somebody may be ready for a sniff of the NHL.
its a well known fact that beer is a naturalized food source that canadian hockey players are dependent upon for excellent physical and mental health

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Offseason move:

To CBJ:

Jeff Carter
2nd

To LA:

4th

Carter retires on the spot. LA gets out of the last year of his deal for little cost. CBJ finally gets something useful for Carter after all these years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00