Confirmed with Link: Jay Woodcroft and Dave Manson fired - no more Woody during NNN - Kris Knoblauch hired, Coffey as assistant

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly, if Woody had just kept things more simple, more focused, and more adaptable, he'd probably still be here IMO. But I wonder if some of the success went to his head early (not to mention the powerplay masking a lot of deficiencies).
When Woodcroft first became coach he was all of those things. He said right away they’re simplifying the defensive game plan, not gonna overload the players. It worked really well. He seemed like he could get creative too unlike Mclellen and Tippett. But eventually it seemed he just became stubborn, like refusing to make adjustments against Vegas and then failing to implement new systems this season.

Lots of parallels between the two coaches first seasons. I hope Knoblauch gets better results in the playoffs, we’re about to see.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I agree.
Although I will say that this really didnt get exploited until the later rounds of the playoffs so that made it diffiuclt for Woody and Manson to implement adjustments. The other side of that is that maybe they were just not able to adjust to what vegas was doing.
Which is why they made the effort to instill a new system to start the season.

Just like in the playoffs they failed to successfully impliment the system changes to start the season.
Major red flag.

Looking back I think that playoff round against Vegas had to be a major mark against Woody/Manson and was a big part of why he was fired.
The slow start to the season just sealed their fate.
Managements confidence in Woody had to have been shaken from last seasons playoffs and when you couple that with the really bad start to the season they really had no choice but to make the coaching change. Even if the team did turn things around what level of confidecne did Management have for Woody to make successful adjustments as the season rolled forward?

Woody had to go.
Woody does not know!

• Haha
Reactions: guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad