Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
:laugh:

I will say somewhere in between warrior and never hits lays the truth

He is not difficult to play against by any stretch. No one would ever call him a heavy player.

These two are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to be a heavy player to be difficult to play against. Would you call Alzner a heavy player? Backstrom?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
:laugh:

I will say somewhere in between warrior and never hits lays the truth

He is not difficult to play against by any stretch. No one would ever call him a heavy player.

Warrior as in playing thru that broken foot, blocking shots fearlessly and fighting heavy weights in Asham.

He finishes his checks and thats what you want.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Too much, and with already overloaded at bottom-6 options, i don't really like it.

Solid deal if he can repeat this season but...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Too much, and with already overloaded at bottom-6 options, i don't really like it.

Solid deal if he can repeat this season but...

We are losing Ward and Fehr. I wouldn't say we are "overloaded" in the bottom 6 especially if we want to give Wilson a chance to move into the top 6 full time.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
We are losing Ward and Fehr. I wouldn't say we are "overloaded" in the bottom 6 especially if we want to give Wilson a chance to move into the top 6 full time.

I have a very hard time believing that if Johansson and Brouwer stay here, they're not playing in the top 6. So Wilson doesn't have a chance to move into the top 6 (and he doesn't deserve one either). He may have an opportunity to earn a top 6 role though, but I still see a very crowded top 6.

Hopefully Jay Beagle can help elevate his game!

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have a very hard time believing that if Johansson and Brouwer stay here, they're not playing in the top 6. So Wilson doesn't have a chance to move into the top 6 (and he doesn't deserve one either). He may have an opportunity to earn a top 6 role though, but I still see a very crowded top 6.

Hopefully Jay Beagle can help elevate his game!

It was telling that Trotz bumped Brouwer down onto the checking line during the Isles series and kept him there.

Given that this is Brouwers final year in his contract (and how this Caps management team runs) I think its fair to assume he will have a reduced role.

With the attrition of the bottom 6 it slides Brouwer onto that 3RW comfortably.

Now that changes if we get a top line RW or if Wilson/Bura regress but I definitely don't expect the latter to happen.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
It was telling that Trotz bumped Brouwer down onto the checking line during the Isles series and kept him there.

Given that this is Brouwers final year in his contract (and how this Caps management team runs) I think its fair to assume he will have a reduced role.

With the attrition of the bottom 6 it slides Brouwer onto that 3RW comfortably.

Now that changes if we get a top line RW or if Wilson/Bura regress but I definitely don't expect the latter to happen.

My recollection is that it was the Rangers series. And while Brouwer was demoted (though it didn't affect his PP time), Wilson was benched toward the end.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
These two are not mutually exclusive. You don't have to be a heavy player to be difficult to play against. Would you call Alzner a heavy player? Backstrom?

No I would not and that's why I think our "heavy" lineup is nothing more than Ovi Orpik and Willie being themselves.

Heavy is a made up expression by the pundits to try to label teams. It's code for big or slow. Alzner and Backstrom while strong defensive players are easy to play against WRT knowing you are never going to get hit. They don't have to hit to be effective.

But we were only talking about a 4th liner here, not top 5 overalls.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
After some reflection, I'm good with the deal. Would prefer he play on the 4th line, and not the 3rd.

Fine with the deal as well. Also nice to see a kid like that really have to scratch and claw his way to be regular in the NHL get rewarded.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Playing heavy is not about being big and hitting. Hitting is part of it, but big forwards cycling the puck. Making defensemen fight thru big players is all part of playing heavy.

So, yea, Orpik hits. Alzner is big and strong. Battling in the corner with him to the puck wears you down.

Other teams with regularity call the caps style heavy. Chimera is not a bruiser, but he is heavy and he does dig. Like Beagle, like Laich, Like Orpik, like Fehr, like Ward.

Yes Backstrom is heavy. He will occasionally throw a big hit like Niskanen does but he is big. Pushing against him when he has the puck behind the net is leaning on a load. He is very strong and unless you are bigger and stronger than he is its a lot of work to battle him.

The Redskins in the Riggo/Hogs days played heavy. They ran the ball and wore the opposition down. That is how the Caps play

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Playing heavy is not about being big and hitting. Hitting is part of it, but big forwards cycling the puck. Making defensemen fight thru big players is all part of playing heavy.

So, yea, Orpik hits. Alzner is big and strong. Battling in the corner with him to the puck wears you down.

Other teams with regularity call the caps style heavy. Chimera is not a bruiser, but he is heavy and he does dig. Like Beagle, like Laich, Like Orpik, like Fehr, like Ward.

Yes Backstrom is heavy. He will occasionally throw a big hit like Niskanen does but he is big. Pushing against him when he has the puck behind the net is leaning on a load. He is very strong and unless you are bigger and stronger than he is its a lot of work to battle him.

The Redskins in the Riggo/Hogs days played heavy. They ran the ball and wore the opposition down. That is how the Caps play

It doesn't matter how much the Caps wear a team down, you are never going to win 4 series in a row if you average 2 goals/game in the playoffs.

Caps this year averaged 2 goals/game in the playoffs - same number as the past 3 playoffs.

Why? Because the opposition does the same thing as always against us regardless of the coach. They put their top defensive pairing on Ovi's line, make him consistently have to work, just make sure they contain Ovi and don't let him dominate a game, and try to make our secondary guys beat them. Sure, sometimes we can get a game winning goal by Semin or Ward and win a series - but it has proven to not be good enough to win series evepn .500 of the time. Our secondary guys have proven to never be good enough in a 7 game series consistently.

If the Caps want to play a heavy and play a wear the other team down type game - they have to improve their centers big time, or acquire All Star caliber players in return. Look at the Kings. They are the definition of what a heavy team does, but they led the NHL in scoring last year when they averaged 3.5 goals in the playoffs. Almost twice of what the Caps average. Also, they went after Richards/Carter hard when they were available, and went after Gaborik when he was available. They also just went after and got Lucic. Those players are no joke and All Star caliber or All Star proven players. They also had a group of centers that are a lot better and deeper than the Caps group that allowed them to play their game. Kopitar, Carter, Richards, and Stoll is very strong down the middle.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Good signing, I'm looking forward to more Beaglechuk heroics over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad