Confirmed with Link: Jay Beagle returns: 3 years, $5.25M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Can't see a thread...

ARLINGTON, VA. – The Washington Capitals have re-signed center Jay Beagle to a three-year, $5.25 million contract, senior vice president and general manager Brian MacLellan announced today.

“We are pleased to re-sign Jay to a new three-year contract,” MacLellan said. “Jay is a hard-working player who plays multiple positions and is an excellent face-off man and penalty killer. Jay has improved steadily since joining our organization and has always brought his game to a different level in the playoffs.”

Beagle, 29, set career highs in goals (10), assists (10) and points (20) in 2014-15 and tied his career high in games played (62). The 6’3”, 212-pound center earned a career-high three points (2g, 1a) on Feb. 11 at San Jose and recorded three of his four career multi-point games last season. The Capitals are 17-0-4 all-time when Beagle scores a goal and were 15-0-1 in 204-15 when he earned a point. In 254 career NHL games with Washington (2008-15), Beagle has registered 47 points (23g, 24a) and 97 penalty minutes.

During the 2015 playoffs, Beagle earned five points (1g, 4a) in 14 games and scored his first career playoff game-winning goal in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the NY Rangers. The Calgary, Alberta, native finished the postseason ranked first in the NHL in faceoff win percentage (63.8%). Beagle has registered eight points (3g, 5a) in 37 career playoff games.

Beagle won back-to-back Calder Cup championships with the Hershey Bears of the American Hockey League (AHL) in 2009 and 2010 and tallied 95 points (47 goals, 48 assists) in 211 career AHL games. Beagle originally signed with Washington as an undrafted free agent on March 26, 2008. He won a Kelly Cup championship with the Idaho Steelheads of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) in 2007 after spending two years at the University of Alaska-Anchorage (2005-07).

The Capitals will host a conference call with Beagle today at 3:45 p.m. To access the conference call, please contact a member of Capitals PR.

http://capitalstoday.monumentalnetwork.com/2015/06/29/capitals-re-sign-jay-beagle

Too much for his role IMO, but expected.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This should become the Beaglechuk appreciation thread.

aquablue

May 4, 2010
Not happy. Jay is not a third liner on a contender and that is too much to pay for a 4th liner, sorry.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
No problem with this honestly.

Good for the guy he's earned a raise...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Honestly, I thought they'd throw even more money at him given how they tend to lock onto targets and then grossly overpay.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Would have preferred like 1,5 per and 2 years, but the difference to this one is practicly peanuts so its hard to complain. Good to get one deal done and we know what we get for the money. Solid fourth liner and PK-guy, capable of replacing short term injuries on upper lines too.

Seen many posters comparing this one to Hendricks deal, gotta remember cap was much lower back then. Totally fine with this one, Chimera is propably out after next season anyways so good to have some continuity on bottom lines.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's a fine deal. No problem with it. Never going to complain with having bottom 6 depth that can be an everyday NHL player for under 2 million.

However, this doesn't solve the 3C issue. Backstrom - Kuzy - Beagle - Latta as your 4 C's is still not good enough.

18 million in cap space left - but still Kuzy, Johansson, 7th D, 3rd C, and Holtby to get done. Not sure how Caps are planning on getting a top 6 guy here or can afford it - but we'll see. I still have fear we're going to be rolling with basically the same Caps team next year in terms of overall talent.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think all grinderz should have an element of hitting in their game since hitting and being physical are game changers when the games count. And well, that's a big part of what most B6ers bring. Beagle gets by on keeping the legs moving and faceoffs. Bah whatever we need a RH twig in the dot. I just wish he would step up his game like I see other grinderz in the league doing in the loft.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Don't kid yourself.

Come on... I've been going and watching the Caps for a long time. The first time I brought my brother who was visiting to a game his words were "not only is he the best player - it just seems like he's trying harder than everyone else". After he said that I've watched and noticed it a lot too.

You can't be as consistent as Ovi is against teams that get amped to go up against him b/c he's the best goal scorer in the world unless you bring it night in and night out. Talent only gets you so far.

Ovechkin works very hard and is a complete animal at times. Jay Beagle works very hard, but I don't see him as the "hardest worker on the team". That's just the perception every likable grinder gets it seems.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think all grinderz should have an element of hitting in their game since hitting and being physical are game changers when the games count. And well, that's a big part of what most B6ers bring. Beagle gets by on keeping the legs moving and faceoffs. Bah whatever we need a RH twig in the dot. I just wish he would step up his game like I see other grinderz in the league doing in the loft.

Beagle consistently finishes his checks. He doesn't lay out guys like Ovie but I've never seen him do a skate away or deliver a "Boyd Gordon - look like trying to check" hit.

And he does come to play in the playoffs. I think we win the Rangers series in 2012 if he doesn't break his foot (he played with it during the fatal draw after the Joel Ward double minor late in game 5 if you recall)

The guy is a warrior.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Even if he's the 2nd most hard working on the team behind Ovechkin, how does that change the point in any way? 2nd behind Ovechkin is still damn good. And what's the excuse for the rest of the team?

Beagle seems to run at 100% at all times. Ovechkin has been known to take a few shifts off, but his 75% is still probably better than most guys' 100%.

Pointless distinction, imo. NHL bottom 6 talent, high motor, versatility, and a decent cap hit. Next.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Even if he's the 2nd most hard working on the team behind Ovechkin, how does that change the point in any way? 2nd behind Ovechkin is still damn good. And what's the excuse for the rest of the team?

Beagle seems to run at 100% at all times. Ovechkin has been known to take a few shifts off, but his 75% is still probably better than most guys' 100%.

Pointless distinction, imo. NHL bottom 6 talent, high motor, versatility, and a decent cap hit. Next.

Dale Hunter "No one works harder on the ice"

Barry Trotz "No one works harder on the ice"

John Carlson "Hardest working human being"

I don't believe Jay Beagle can do <100%

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I use to hate Beagle earlier on when he was finally getting a shot with the caps. He's gotten a lot better since the 2010 season and I honestly have no problem with the signing. He works hard, what was everyone expecting for pay for a 4C? 950k? Then halfway through the season complain about them. We know what we're getting, it isn't a bad deal.

He's got **** luck (i.e 2 huge goals missed in the playoffs that made me nearly take a heart attack)

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Come on... I've been going and watching the Caps for a long time. The first time I brought my brother who was visiting to a game his words were "not only is he the best player - it just seems like he's trying harder than everyone else". After he said that I've watched and noticed it a lot too.

You can't be as consistent as Ovi is against teams that get amped to go up against him b/c he's the best goal scorer in the world unless you bring it night in and night out. Talent only gets you so far.

Ovechkin works very hard and is a complete animal at times. Jay Beagle works very hard, but I don't see him as the "hardest worker on the team". That's just the perception every likable grinder gets it seems.

Ovechkin is easily the most talented, but he doesn't work nearly as hard as Beagle it should be clear as day. Trotz even came in and said he wanted to get rid of the glide in OV's game, OV had a tendency to float and I doubt anyone would say he's the hardest worker on the team.

In his heyday, I might of agreed. He was flying out there, but in recent years it's dwindled save for last year.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Ovechkin is easily the most talented, but he doesn't work nearly as hard as Beagle it should be clear as day. Trotz even came in and said he wanted to get rid of the glide in OV's game, OV had a tendency to float and I doubt anyone would say he's the hardest worker on the team.

In his heyday, I might of agreed. He was flying out there, but in recent years it's dwindled save for last year.

I think It's a matter of opinion and this is kind of a pointless argument of who works harder. There could be arguments for anyone that is solid. Alzner is another example.

I think we both agree that hard working guys that are working in this system is guys that deserve to stay, so all in all I'm happy about this - even if we go out and get a #3C and Beagle is on the 4th line. With how Trotz evens out minutes and Beagles PK time, he'll still get his 12-15 minutes/night which is worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad