Player Discussion Jason Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Zucker can also go to arbitration if he feels the QO is too low.The question then becomes what could he get in arbitration?I think it would be somewhere around $1.2 million.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm not sure where your understanding comes from, but it's not correct.

A player being a first round pick or not is irrelevant once their ELC is signed. There are no rules specific to 1st rounders in the CBA for RFAs. It has no baring on any other contract negotiations, and the only bearing it has on ELC dealings is that if a 1st rounder doesn't come to agreement with the team that drafted him, the team gets a 2nd round pick as compensation.

And a QO offer being 100% of the previous season's salary, simply means that the salary can't be less. To double the salary, the CBA would say 200% of the previous year's salary.

Nordstrom signed a two year deal at 1.2 million a year. That wasn't his qualifying offer because his QO likely hadn't been extended yet(They don't happen until June), and his QO would have been for a single year at 665K.

The QO is based on the previous seasons Salary:

Salary under 660K -> QO is 110%
Salary between 660K and 1 Million -> QO is 105% of Salary, but not to exceed 1 million
Salary greater than 1 Million -> QO is 100% of previous year's salary.

In Zucker's case, his 950K salary means a QO of 997.5K.

Thanks very much for a great post!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Had a tough 2nd half last year, but his 21 goals the year before still come into play.

Was hoping it was going to be closer to $1.5M per but I'm good with it.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah he really disappointed me last year. Hoping he can regain some form, but I'm not so sure.

It's confidence an issue with him? As with pretty much everyone on the roster, I'll be interested to see if Boudreau has an effect on his game.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just reminder haula had a bad year & bounced back. im hoping zucker just had a kinda 2nd year slump thing. i will be very disappointed if zucker doesnt score at least 18G.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
just reminder haula had a bad year & bounced back. im hoping zucker just had a kinda 2nd year slump thing. i will be very disappointed if zucker doesnt score at least 18G.

Zucker has had 2 disappointing years coming off of slightly better years the prior to that. one of those 2 times involved him being sent down to Iowa for essentially the remainder of the season.

He will be the Las Vegas bait so they don't even try to take anyone else from the team they want. Why this is a 2 year deal and why its at $2M. It will entice the expansion draft.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Solid deal.

Hopefully he starts showing more of those flashes of brilliance from a couple seasons ago. I remember thinking he was finally starting to turn a corner during that St. Louis playoff series.

This goal was awesome:

jasonzucker_gm1_goal1_0_1429228616.gif

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I only hope he does good enough to be a real Vegas bait. If he exceeds that, it's a positive problem. So in a way I'm ok with this, but in the same time I think we should've been able to flip him in a solid hockey trade that would have left us better off.

But it's good. Somehow it also kind of makes me think we might be going for a trade that involves a top 9 forward. Well now I'm scared.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I only hope he does good enough to be a real Vegas bait. If he exceeds that, it's a positive problem. So in a way I'm ok with this, but in the same time I think we should've been able to flip him in a solid hockey trade that would have left us better off.

But it's good. Somehow it also kind of makes me think we might be going for a trade that involves a top 9 forward. Well now I'm scared.

What if he scores 30+ goals? Would we still want him as bait?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
What if he scores 30+ goals? Would we still want him as bait?

I said it would be a positive problem then. Young 30+ goal scorers you protect and leave some other miserable soul exposed. And I'm sadly quite certain it would not be too hard. You know someone we thought is surely going to be protected will be a big disappointment come spring time.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I said it would be a positive problem then. Young 30+ goal scorers you protect and leave some other miserable soul exposed. And I'm sadly quite certain it would not be too hard. You know someone we thought is surely going to be protected will be a big disappointment come spring time.

Granlund??? :popcorn:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Let's not forget he got concussed pretty badly. He's got a ton of potential and he definitely can be a 30 goal player in my opinion with his speed and shot.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Risky deal considering he wasn't an NHL caliber player at the end of the season. Question whether Boudreau will get the best out of him after seeing Hagelin/Palmieri show much more elsewhere, as there are similarities with them and Zucker's game.

If he scores 15+ its fine, if Vegas is dumb enough to take him it doesn't matter, and the cap space wouldn't have been better spent on Vanek so I guess I don't really care. Hope he proves me wrong but right now I'm not sure he's a better option than Chris Porter for a roster spot, and I know Porter's deal won't match this, though this deal should have 0 impact on Porter returning or not.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
At first, I was a little unhappy about the cap hit. But then I saw what Bergevin and Chiarelli did and I felt a lot better.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Zucker has had 2 disappointing years coming off of slightly better years the prior to that. one of those 2 times involved him being sent down to Iowa for essentially the remainder of the season.

He will be the Las Vegas bait so they don't even try to take anyone else from the team they want. Why this is a 2 year deal and why its at $2M. It will entice the expansion draft.

This. The Vegas team will 100% take him, unless they are the worst homers of all time. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad